Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
21:05 St Ives to St Erth
21:20 St Erth to St Ives
Additional 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
21:37 St Ives to St Erth
22:21 St Erth to St Ives
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
22:48 St Ives to Penzance
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 21:22:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1253872 times)
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 25, 2015, 08:52:25 »

Another morning of general delays for me, slow into Reading and then slow into Paddington, once again:

"Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 10 mins or revised. Disruption is expected until 13:00 25/06.
Customer Advice:
As a result of signalling problems in the Southall area affecting the lines used by express services there will be a reduction in the frequency of express train services between London Paddington and Oxford in both directions. To compensate for this First Great Western ticket holders may travel on CrossCountry train services between Oxford and Reading, changing at Reading into / out of alternative fast services to / from London Paddington.
In addition, there will also be alterations to some train services between London Paddington and Bedwyn, and return, which will require customers to change trains at Reading."

It's not been a good week at all, this on top of the delays due to the fight at Reading West station last night.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 25, 2015, 09:08:40 »

This is neverending.

Presumably the cause of the signals in this area constantly being SNAFU (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up (I have toned down the F word)) has been identified by now?.....there seems to be a pattern of a week of chaos, followed by a few weeks of only "minor" (relatively speaking) problems, before a return to everything falling over again.......which to me suggests that there are a lot of temporary fixes being applied rather than a permanent solution?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #707 on: June 25, 2015, 09:57:51 »

Is it correct that the new signals are being attached to the old wiring? And later, the new wiring is being laid & then connected to these signals? Rather than signals & wiring being renewed together?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:27 »

I was working in Birmingham yesterday (24th June) and came back using XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from New Street to Reading. I caught the 17:06 XC Bournemouth service from New Street  which was slightly delayed at start and lost a few more minutes due to line congestion and was expecting to catch the 1912 Local Reading to Thatcham BUT the Frome service was delayed so managed to catch that at Reading.

The TM(resolve) on this service apologised for the lack of PA (Public Address) announcements but found it difficult to reach the PA equipment due to unusually heavy passenger numbers (possibly as a result of issues raised by other forum members yesterday)

I arrived in Thatcham at just past 7pm which was about 40 minutes earlier than I would have expected.

So for very selfish reasons the delays which may have caused misery for others worked for me - I should add that on depature from RDG(resolve) the Frome Service was if anything more lightly loaded than I would have expected for that service.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 25, 2015, 18:29:32 »

The TM(resolve) on this service apologised for the lack of PA (Public Address) announcements but found it difficult to reach the PA equipment due to unusually heavy passenger numbers (possibly as a result of issues raised by other forum members yesterday)

Or possibly because there is some sort of annual village fete somewhere near Castle Cary. 
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 25, 2015, 20:57:41 »

I should add that on depature from RDG(resolve) the Frome Service was if anything more lightly loaded than I would have expected for that service.

I think this is one of the High Speed Train's (HST (High Speed Train))'s that stops at TWY (Twyford station) (fast to there from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) where in my experience about 50% of those onboard get off.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 20:00:50 by VickiS » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 25, 2015, 21:04:25 »

Or possibly because there is some sort of annual village fete somewhere near Castle Cary. 

There certainly have been a large number of un-ripened berries about the last few days ................ the rain on Friday should ripen them up a bit, hopefully there will be no more rain as that always over-ripens Glason Berries 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2015, 21:06:41 »

I should add that on depature from RDG(resolve) the Frome Service was if anything more lightly loaded than I would have expected for that service.

I think this is one of the HST (High Speed Train)'s that stops at TWY (Twyford station) (fast to there from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)) where in my experience about 50% of those onboard get off.

I think you are right TC(resolve)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 25, 2015, 22:46:16 »

This is neverending.

Don't expect a good week next week with the forecast of a hot spell for most of the week with the thermometer nudging 30 degrees Celsius.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #714 on: June 26, 2015, 00:01:46 »

A timely reminder, then, from the Western Daily Press:

Glastonbury Festival revellers will not be allowed on First Great Western trains if too muddy

Glastonbury Festival revellers have been warned they will not be allowed on trains taking them home if they are too MUDDY.

First Great Western is the only train operator which visits Castle Cary station near the festival site in Somerset.

But in a special leaflet printed for the five-day event, bosses have warned mucky festival goers they'll be turned away if they are too dirty.

The leaflet says: "In the interests of the comfort of all our customers, you will not be allowed to board the train if you are excessively muddy."

No such prohibition on anyone being excessively hot and sweaty, apparently.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 28, 2015, 08:54:13 »

....with the temperature set to rise a few degrees this week, on what day do people think that everything will fall over due to "poor rail conditions"? summer weather being one of the other natural phenomena that the (UK (United Kingdom)) railways struggle to cope with.....sweepstake anyone?

I've got some very important meetings this week and I really, really hope they don't get messed up by numerous delays/cancellations.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 28, 2015, 09:34:46 »

That's what I like to read on a Sunday morning. Unbridled optimism.  Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:50 »

That's what I like to read on a Sunday morning. Unbridled optimism.  Tongue Grin

.....it's being so cheerful that keeps me going!!!  Grin
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #718 on: June 28, 2015, 09:39:48 »

Tuesday....with widespread limits from Wednesday on
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:47 »

........always nice to have something to look forward to, God knows how they manage in hot countries.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: