Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 09:45:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1253764 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: July 01, 2015, 17:30:03 »

Not directly related to FGWland, but an interesting article nonetheless about a derailment earlier this week suspected to be linked to the current high temperatures. Article includes an interesting photo of a rather badly buckled rail taken during the 2006 heat, which illustrates what can happen when things get a bit too hot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-33342819

I'm not entirely sure what happened to the front half of the cow in the top picture...!!  Grin

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 01, 2015, 17:53:21 »

1653 Reading to Banbury stopper cancelled.  1723 Reading to Oxford stopper is about 40 late at Reading.  1755 Reading to Oxford stopper is 10 late.  So nothing from Reading to Tilehurst, Pangbourne etc for about 90 minutes.  Truly awful ^ but it^s good news for taxi drivers as Mrs GTBE (and others I^m sure) give up on FGW (First Great Western).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #767 on: July 01, 2015, 18:00:51 »

Looks fairly much like a meltdown from where I'm sat stood.
I'd describe a meltdown as practically no trains running at all...

So I can call a gap from 12:47 to 18:52 in services in Wiltshire today a "meltdown"?  Wink  Grin ... especially as the train that was supposed to have formed the services between got hot-weather-itis.  Almost like old times with l-o-n-g gaps, but once in a while, and with alternative road transport ... I suspect I'm much more understanding than I used to be.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: July 01, 2015, 18:07:00 »

I was lucky - bailed out early and caught the 1714 from Reading which left on time, most trains at Reading were showing delayed but not by too much, but by the time I got back to Taplow Central everything was showing up 20/30 mins late.

Good luck getting home folks.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 01, 2015, 18:22:58 »

17.49 awaiting a fitter once again. Tedious tedious tedious.
For good measure the 18.18 is delayed and the 18.42 cancelled so good luck to fellow Maidenhead victims passengers.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 01, 2015, 18:28:31 »

Sounds like SW trains are having problems out of Waterloo too - pal of mine is trying to get to Bracknell, turfed off at Twickenham and told he might as well go to the pub till 8
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 01, 2015, 19:00:58 »

Sounds like SW trains are having problems out of Waterloo too - pal of mine is trying to get to Bracknell, turfed off at Twickenham and told he might as well go to the pub till 8

That's what I told my wife, too.  Cheesy

Now, please!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 01, 2015, 21:08:32 »

Thames Valley passengers victims may be reassured (!) by this recent FGW (First Great Western) advert for Ribena Girls (ie Customer Ambassadors):

^You^ll cover every inch of your station to go the extra mile for our customers. You^ll be empowered to deal with a variety of different situations. And you^ll enjoy proactively helping our passengers and brightening up their day whatever the weather.

We help millions of rail passengers to get to where they want to go. And every single journey is important. Which is why we^re looking to take our customer service to a whole new level. 

We^re looking for people who can provide a passenger experience like no other. Someone who can think on your feet and make quick decisions, you must be able to connect with and talk to our customers face-to-face. You should be a confident communicator who can put people at ease and help those who are worried or in a hurry in a tactful and sensitive way. Above all you^ll need to be hard working and share our ^customer first^ approach and passion for making a positive difference to the passenger experience. ^

I think it^s fair to say that FGW provide ^a passenger experience like no other^.  And are these Human Remains people who write these adverts real? Or are they clich^ robots?

Edited for strikethrough

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:42:52 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 01, 2015, 21:09:11 »

I decided to not play their games tonight and travelled a bit later.. I got the 20.18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to MAI (Maidenhead station).. It was 3 carriages..I'm not sure how may carriages it usually is though.. As soon as we got on the driver apologised for the air con not working.. I should have stayed in the pub a couple of hours longer..That had to have been 40 degrees on the train. that really isn't acceptable..
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 01, 2015, 21:23:14 »

At least ladies only glow while us men perspire.  Grin
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 01, 2015, 21:25:02 »

I sweat.

Like a pig.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 01, 2015, 21:37:30 »

Thames Valley passengers victims may be reassured (!) by this recent FGW (First Great Western) advert for Ribena Girls (ie Customer Ambassadors):

^You^ll cover every inch of your station to go the extra mile for our customers. You^ll be empowered to deal with a variety of different situations. And you^ll enjoy proactively helping our passengers and brightening up their day whatever the weather.

We help millions of rail passengers to get to where they want to go. And every single journey is important. Which is why we^re looking to take our customer service to a whole new level. 

The one I saw at Bath Spa a couple of weeks back was sweet. She was the cleanest and best polished thing in the station, and also did a very good job of rearranging the temporary timetables, put into display cases by a colleague, back into alphabetical order. Se had the support of every male member of staff with a pulse. Job done, she jumped on the next (decent) train to Bristol, accompanied by a cohort of young men in suits (or is it a phalanx?), who appeared from nowhere, and hung on her every word all the way to BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains).

If that's not the extra mile, what is? Unless she is paid to combat dyslexia, that is.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 01, 2015, 21:41:08 »

I know one who works at Exeter St Davids and she goes not only the extra mile, but walks it - traipsing from the gateline to platforms 4 and 5 and back many times throughout her shifts.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 01, 2015, 21:49:39 »

At least ladies only glow while us men perspire.  Grin

Ha ha there was no glowing or perspiring on that train.. Just lots of sweating...
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 02, 2015, 07:22:40 »

Problems again today. Now held on the up relief outside West Drayton. Crossed over from the up main at Dolphin Junction. Signalling problems between Slough and Southall West. No sign of movement yet.

Correction. Now on move slowly. Up main looks blocked.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: