I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:15 29 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:31:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243990 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:09 »

I do feel though that new staff should be required to work on Sundays, perhaps up to say 12 Sundays a year.
There is nothing unreasonable in this for new staff, if you feel it to be unreasonable then don't take the job.

It would not be reasonable to force this on existing staff who joined when Sunday working was optional.

The problem is that trades unions are, in general, opposed to new staff being on a different contract of employment to existing staff.

If recent evidence is anything to go by, the problem is that trades unions are, in general, opposed to any change or progess at all.

Its not that Trade Unions are against progress, what they are against in the eroding of hard won rights and conditions of employment.  We all would be in a worse place employment wise without the Trade Union movement whether you are in Union or not there are things we all take for granted to day the Unions gained for use all, 40 hour working week, paid holidays, maternity leave, the list goes on.

Do I believe every strike is justified no, am I in a Union no (have not been since the Railways go Majored, also the Union that covers my role is toothless so not worth the fee, just my opinion of them) but I do believe every employee should have the right to be in a Union and have the right provided it is correctly balloted and negotiations have come to an impass to withdraw labour otherwise 

There is much to be said for the merits of the  fight to gain the rights you mention, much of which took place in a different world decades ago, however there is also the need to adapt to a changing world and the needs of customers....we no longer live in a 9-5, Mon-Fri world and people need to travel at weekends for work, leisure, to visit families etc and they need a service which they can rely on.

It's all very well waving outdated contracts around which state you don't have to work Sundays, Boxing Day etc but the railways are there to provide a service to their customers as well as their staff, so those contracts, attitudes and working conditions need to change to reflect this, without the constant threat of strikes etc..........the recent strikes on the Underground illustrate this outdated attitude perfectly.
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 20, 2015, 11:10:25 »

There is no overtime ban.

Sundays are not within the working week for the majority of (if not all) train crew including drivers and guards. Therefore it's possible to make yourself unavailable to work them. Much of it runs on goodwill, and there isn't much about at the moment!

With it now being the school holidays, it will not get any better.

I sometimes wonder whether the railways are run for the benefit of customers or staff.

Christ, I know you hate the railways but don't take it out on us. The majority of railway staff would have started their jobs well after any Sunday agreements were made.

Don't tell me if you were in railway employment and had the opportunity to take all or some the Sundays you could work off because it meant you spent more time with your family or friends or to attend events you wouldn't!

FWIW (for what it's worth), I work my Sundays. But that's my choice.

Edited to fix quotes - bobm
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:40:28 by bobm » Logged

All opinions are my own.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 20, 2015, 11:54:54 »

Don't be silly, it's not a question of hating anyone or anything, it's just frustrating that whereas most other organisations and their workforces accept the need to meet customer demand and adapt their working practices accordingly, SOME rail staff/Unions(and Underground staff/unions) seem determined to dig their heels in and prioritise their own interests above all else, and there seems to be a very casual attitude to the inconvenience caused to the public.

......and yes, I'd love to have "all or some" of Sundays off to spend more time with friends and family, but when I joined an organisation that serves the public 7 days a week I sort of accepted that I'd have to balance my own interests with those of my customers.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: July 20, 2015, 11:59:58 »

I work 36 Saturdays and Sundays a year and I quite enjoy doing so as it gives me the chance to have time off during the week.  I'm self employed so it is definitely my choice.  Although when I was employed I still worked most Saturdays and a fair few Sundays.

Perhaps because I went to a school which had lessons on a Saturday I have never attached so much importance to weekends.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 20, 2015, 20:24:13 »

My trade, prior to personal issues, was hospitality. Customer first.

I worked days, nights, Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays, all at either fixed hourly rate or contracted salaried hours. No such thing as weekends or bank holidays being outside the 'working week'. No two day shutdown at Christmas. Overtime at standard hourly rate.

If I was rostered to work a Sunday, I worked a Sunday. I could never say, "Sun's out, I'm not coming in."

The working practices of the railway are outdated.  It is perfectly possible to have a work/life balance while working Sundays. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 26, 2015, 17:17:27 »

Looks like similar problems today - Cornish branch line services virtually non existent due to "members of train crew being unavailable" and cancellations/alterations to services to Devon, Bristol and Wales for the same reason.

Not a great advert for the railways as the holiday season gets underway.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 26, 2015, 18:08:02 »

We've drifted a bit with this topic.

Let's get back to the specifics of infrastructure problems in the Thames Valley.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 28, 2015, 13:47:52 »

Due to emergency engineering works between London Paddington and Slough the Reading bound main line is blocked.

Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 20 mins or revised. Disruption is expected until 15:30 28/07.

..........looks to be mostly affecting Oxford services and intermediate stations between Reading - Paddington.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: July 28, 2015, 15:15:47 »

A cracked Insulated Rail Joint near Southall needed repairs which has led to the line closure.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 28, 2015, 15:37:31 »

But the good news is it took 90 minutes less than expected to fix.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 07, 2015, 16:56:39 »

Not looking good for todays evening peak.
Many cancellations and numerous other trains running for only a part of the advertised route.

Mainly signalling failure, but a few train faults also.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 07, 2015, 16:58:18 »

Not looking good for todays evening peak.
Many cancellations and numerous other trains running for only a part of the advertised route.

Mainly signalling failure, but a few train faults also.

...........head to the pub and watch England win the Ashes?
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 07, 2015, 18:59:30 »

Good luck out there if you're heading home tonight. Did someone mention 'It's been a while since a really bad one?'  Huh

No estimate for movement of services to/from Paddington. If possible, please use Marylebone (@ChilternRailway) or Waterloo (@SW_Trains).

https://twitter.com/FGW/status/629711959290736640

BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 07, 2015, 19:24:16 »

Good luck out there if you're heading home tonight. Did someone mention 'It's been a while since a really bad one?'  Huh

No estimate for movement of services to/from Paddington. If possible, please use Marylebone (@ChilternRailway) or Waterloo (@SW_Trains).

https://twitter.com/FGW/status/629711959290736640

TfL» (Transport for London - about) website is saying that Paddington Bakerloo Line station is currently closed "to prevent overcrowding on the National Rail station." Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/Khan_Sahil/status/629716325246599168

Two people collapsed on train. One unconscious on platform.

Sad
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 07, 2015, 19:47:09 »

Jesus Christ.
Just so I know what are the rules regarding provision of taxis? Ie do fgw have to get everyone home if it remains fubar?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: