27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 01:12:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1258145 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: August 08, 2015, 09:26:33 »

Re post 838, "persons passed out on train due to heat/overcrowding"
It should be noted that yesterday evening was not in fact that hot. Sooner or later one of these increasingly frequent major failures is going to coincide with really hot weather.
Combine that with trains on which the air conditioning does not work, and with limited opening windows, and I fear that lives will be put at risk and perhaps lost.
The risks would be compounded on electric trains if the traction current failed or was turned off.

As I have stated elsewhere on these forums, I have misgivings regarding the new SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)), however they do have one point in their favour which is the inclusion of limited diesel power on the "electric" sets.
When the wires come down, or the traction current is isolated for an emergency the ability to run the air conditioning could be vital.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 08, 2015, 09:37:08 »

Can't wait for Meet the Manager at Paddington this Thursday.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 08, 2015, 09:43:27 »

Re post 838, "persons passed out on train due to heat/overcrowding"
It should be noted that yesterday evening was not in fact that hot. Sooner or later one of these increasingly frequent major failures is going to coincide with really hot weather.
Combine that with trains on which the air conditioning does not work, and with limited opening windows, and I fear that lives will be put at risk and perhaps lost.
The risks would be compounded on electric trains if the traction current failed or was turned off.

As I have stated elsewhere on these forums, I have misgivings regarding the new SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)), however they do have one point in their favour which is the inclusion of limited diesel power on the "electric" sets.
When the wires come down, or the traction current is isolated for an emergency the ability to run the air conditioning could be vital.

............but as FGW (First Great Western) will repeatedly tell you, there are no risks to health and safety associated with "crowding" on their trains and there are no limits...........they normally add the rider along the lines of it being your fault if you choose to get on an already overcrowded train, rather than waiting for the next overcrowded train..... Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #858 on: August 08, 2015, 09:45:43 »

The next Meet the Manager session is indeed at London Paddington - between 0700 and 1000 - on Thursday 13 August 2015.

For completeness - from the First Great Western website:

Next Meet the Manager at the station
- London Paddington - between 0700 and 1000 - Thursday 13 August 2015
- Reading - between 1600 and 1900 - Tuesday 06 October 2015
- London Paddington - between 1600 and 1900 - Thursday 10 December 2015

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 08, 2015, 09:52:15 »

What we really want is a meet the NETWORK RAIL manager since it is often their defective infrastructure that is to blame.

FGW (First Great Western) could do better, especially by ensuring that they have enough staff, but most of the recent problems are network rail, not FGW.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 08, 2015, 09:57:14 »

What we really want is a meet the NETWORK RAIL manager since it is often their defective infrastructure that is to blame.

FGW (First Great Western) could do better, especially by ensuring that they have enough staff, but most of the recent problems are network rail, not FGW.

I totally agree BG (Brake Gangway (carriage)) - the main aspect I think FGW could improve is how they communicate with the public when things go wrong. I am thinking of getting in touch with them to see if there is any benefit in having an objective round table session with some of the regular customers to get their input. I stress objective because there would be no point in doing this if it just turned into a moaning session

I've added a picture of an unusual sight at Paddington station last night...every picture tells a story etc
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 08, 2015, 10:06:46 »

West Wales services have borne the brunt of the cancellations following yesterday's disruption with no GW (Great Western) services running on the Pembroke line.

Doesn't bode well for the future for direct trains from London if it was decided to can all GW Pembroke trains in the height of the summer season.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 08, 2015, 10:36:31 »

Saw this headline on the bbc and thought my dreams had come true...

Delayed passengers 'missing out on millions in compensation'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33833059
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #863 on: August 08, 2015, 11:18:35 »

Many complaints are due to overcrowding which is the DFT (Department for Transport) responsibility and who hide further into the background than Network Rail.   The TOCs (Train Operating Company) are to blame for everything so far as Jo Public is concerned.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 08, 2015, 11:20:55 »

On a general point - for those who were involved/got caught up in the chaos last night (thankfully I didn't) - pretty much the worst ever? Looking at the pictures, listening to the interviews and reading social media it would certainly seem pretty much that way.

On a technical point - FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) are FUBAR (fouled up beyond all recognition (I have toned down the F word)), last night was a SNAFU (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up (I have toned down the F word))!

Let's hope for a quiet few days, although I note there are quite a few problems already today.

I also wasn't caught up in last night's problems but I'd guess that the disruption on July 25th last year was that bit worse because there was absolutely NOTHING running between PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and RDG(resolve) for several hours due to a lightning strike at Ruscombe and SWT (South West Trains) wasn't an option because they were SNAFU too. I had to share a taxi to TWY (Twyford station) with 3 others with a fare on the meter of ^145. And it's thanks to that evening that I wasn't caught up in last night's problems because on the following Monday I put in a job transfer request to the Reading branch of the organisation I work for, and I started working there last January.  Smiley
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 08, 2015, 16:23:38 »

Many complaints are due to overcrowding which is the DFT (Department for Transport) responsibility and who hide further into the background than Network Rail.   The TOCs (Train Operating Company) are to blame for everything so far as Jo Public is concerned.

That's because it's the TOC to whom "Jo" (or Joe!) Public hands thousands of ^ a year to, so they every right to expect them to provide a decent service and an explanation/communication when things go wrong, as well as managing the relationship effectively with NR» (Network Rail - home page)/DfT» (Department for Transport - about).....whatever the relationships are, it's not something the customer should have to worry about.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 16:30:03 by TaplowGreen » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2015, 16:28:47 »

On a general point - for those who were involved/got caught up in the chaos last night (thankfully I didn't) - pretty much the worst ever? Looking at the pictures, listening to the interviews and reading social media it would certainly seem pretty much that way.

On a technical point - FGW (First Great Western)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) are FUBAR (fouled up beyond all recognition (I have toned down the F word)), last night was a SNAFU (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up (I have toned down the F word))!

Let's hope for a quiet few days, although I note there are quite a few problems already today.

I also wasn't caught up in last night's problems but I'd guess that the disruption on July 25th last year was that bit worse because there was absolutely NOTHING running between PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and RDG(resolve) for several hours due to a lightning strike at Ruscombe and SWT (South West Trains) wasn't an option because they were SNAFU too. I had to share a taxi to TWY (Twyford station) with 3 others with a fare on the meter of ^145. And it's thanks to that evening that I wasn't caught up in last night's problems because on the following Monday I put in a job transfer request to the Reading branch of the organisation I work for, and I started working there last January.  Smiley

I recall that incident too, and I too jumped in a cab (from Reading) and was refunded in full (^45) by FGW without question...........this is why I always recommend people to stick in a claim whether or it may appear to be "consequential losses", if you ask, you often get, regardless of this absurd blanket exclusion which is generally cited.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #867 on: August 08, 2015, 17:20:06 »

Last night coincided with Slough and Windsor Railway Society annual barbeque. Very quite evening, with just the Windsor branch and a Reading Slough shuttle reversing in Platform 5. That was until around 20:45 when the first High Speed Train's (HST (High Speed Train))s came through. The first ones from Padd were definitely full and standing!

You might have seen us siting outside the Manor with a very smokey barbeque.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 19:43:37 by VickiS » Logged
SirBroccoli

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 10, 2015, 23:24:19 »

At the same time the generic apology went out at lunchtime today, they also announced that a void day would not be declared. Dodgy decision in my opinion, especially given that there was less disruption on 8/12/14, when the last void day was declared after two broken High Speed Train's (HST (High Speed Train))s outside Paddington.

Time for the declaration of void days to be taken out of TOC (Train Operating Company) hands methinks..

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 19:44:08 by VickiS » Logged
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 11, 2015, 07:15:39 »

Totally agree. Full compensation should be payable to all travellers, including season ticket holders who get a very rough deal at the moment.
I already plan to raise this at the meet the manager session on Thursday, where I was going to enquire why 28th December wasn't void when fgw ran nothing at all at any time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: