Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 08:32:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[144] Okehampton
[91] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[88] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[82] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] 11 trains in a day - has anyone here done more?
[44] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1253740 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: August 11, 2015, 09:04:04 »

Totally agree. Full compensation should be payable to all travellers, including season ticket holders who get a very rough deal at the moment.
I already plan to raise this at the meet the manager session on Thursday, where I was going to enquire why 28th December wasn't void when fgw ran nothing at all at any time.

May be worth asking how much compensation FGW (First Great Western) received/will receive from Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page))?

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 19:41:11 by VickiS » Logged
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 13, 2015, 18:13:41 »

So it was Meet the Manager session this morning. I had a chat with some representatives about a number of issues including void days and left still unclear/fobbed off.
Did anyone else get any useful information?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 13, 2015, 18:45:08 »

Quote from this morning "turbos are much more reliable than hst's which is why they rarely break down". Cue cancellation of the 18.18 turbo and 1000 Maidenhead passengers squeezing on to the 18.42 3 carriage to Bourne end via Slough and magical 20min detour that no one understands.
Andrew

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 13, 2015, 21:28:33 »

So it was Meet the Manager session this morning. I had a chat with some representatives about a number of issues including void days and left still unclear/fobbed off.

I got told that FGW (First Great Western) get negative publicity and public criticism if they declare a void day as this is then excluded from their PPM(resolve) performance measures which impacts season ticket discounts. I was told they were damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I was also told that in the past that FGW had been too generous in declaring void days, and that they have since made a corporate decision to assess the criteria rather more strictly. The manager wasn't able to explain what these criteria actually are, and agreed with me that these need to be better publicised. Indeed I was told they would pursue this with their web team as a high priority.

On last Friday, she said that disruption did not impact enough of the day to be declared void. The manager I was speaking with didn't know the reasons for the 28th December but they promised they would get back to me with an explanation and took my email.

All in all, whilst I didn't really come away particularly convinced by any of this, I did get the impression that some of my points about the lack of transparency in the way void days are declared was at least heard with a degree of sympathy. They also admitted that this issue had been raised by a number of other people that morning.

If I ever hear anything more I'll let you know.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 13, 2015, 21:33:24 »

Andrew, thank you for an informative first post.  We will wait with interest to see if you hear anymore, in the meantime may I welcome you to the Coffee Shop?

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 13, 2015, 21:56:11 »

Quote from this morning "turbos are much more reliable than hst's which is why they rarely break down". Cue cancellation of the 18.18 turbo.

I see that whilst the 18:18 was cancelled due to a fault, the men with spanners came out, not only got it fixed but managed to upgrade it's performance rather impressively...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O18385/2015/08/13/advanced
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 14, 2015, 08:46:45 »

Quote from this morning "turbos are much more reliable than hst's which is why they rarely break down". Cue cancellation of the 18.18 turbo.

I see that whilst the 18:18 was cancelled due to a fault, the men with spanners came out, not only got it fixed but managed to upgrade it's performance rather impressively...
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O18385/2015/08/13/advanced

Shocked Shocked They must have fitted extra turbos, a lot of intercooling and may be NOx 201 mph ..................... impressive  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 14, 2015, 12:22:24 »

I'm confused about why taking 1hr 21mins to go to Oxford non stop is impressive? Smiley
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 14, 2015, 15:14:17 »

I'm confused about why taking 1hr 21mins to go to Oxford non stop is impressive? Smiley
Have a look at the 'timed for' speed in the header of the schedule Cheesy
There seems to be a problem with this for quite a few schedules in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) at present .
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 14, 2015, 16:23:42 »

On last Friday, she said that disruption did not impact enough of the day to be declared void. The manager I was speaking with didn't know the reasons for the 28th December but they promised they would get back to me with an explanation and took my email.

So being a couple of hours late, lots of uncertainty, a missed appointment and the cost of a taxi from High Wycombe to Twyford isn't enough of an impact? And judging by the number of people at Paddington and Marylebone I don't think I was alone in this.

Never mind the inability to provide accurate information about an incident - actually its more false information as according to Journey check on the day my train was on time until not long before its departure.

Deep breaths...

NickB

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 14, 2015, 18:01:00 »

Thanks Andrew for your reply and again, welcome to the forum. What you received as feedback was very similar to what I was told. The hilarity of FGW (First Great Western)'s responses was mind blowing:
- when I asked why last Friday wasn't a void day I was told that it didn't affect enough of the day to count.
- so I asked why Dec 27th wasn't a void day when FGW ran nothing, and I was told that because it was a Saturday it didn't count because void days are used when they affect commuters and rush hour services.
- "like on Friday, when it was at rush hour?" I queried.
- no response of any substance other than "we'll get accused of manipulating figures"

Yeah right. Cheating liars.

I asked Jo Elliott why I had to write to the ceo to get a correct answer on obtaining refunds for First Class standing journeys, having had 4 incorrect letters from Customer Service. I put it to her that misinformation was deliberately circulated to fob passengers off - an accusation she definitely didn't like. So it's just ineptitude and not malicious. You heard it here first.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 14, 2015, 18:15:20 »

Have a look at the 'timed for' speed in the header of the schedule Cheesy
There seems to be a problem with this for quite a few schedules in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) at present .

Ha, oops, didn't spot that one!
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 17, 2015, 16:31:01 »

Does anyone know what's been going on today ?
I was receiving automated SMS for disruption RDG(resolve)->PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) this morning but only after I'd gotten to London (08:30)
As of 16:00 I'm getting texts warning of minor delays following the main line reopening after problems at Hayes.
Has something been ongoing all day ? [ I'm only setup for alerts during my commuter slots ].
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 17, 2015, 16:57:02 »

I got back to Taplow at about 1400 and the signs were showing grim warnings about signal failures at Hayes, cancellations, delays etc but everything seemed to be running pretty much to time..........I guess it could be that as these signal failures are so frequent, they form part of the daily course of events, and are advertised as such?  Smiley
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 17, 2015, 19:03:36 »

Paddington is a mess again. All trains showing delays. Useless.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: