Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:17:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243660 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 03, 2015, 06:54:39 »

.....another day.....

Alterations to services between Slough and Reading 

Due to a problem currently under investigation between Slough and Reading the Reading bound slow line is blocked.

Impact
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 20 mins or revised. Disruption is expected until 09:00 03/11.

Freight train SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) in the Maidenhead area.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 03, 2015, 07:10:38 »

.....another day.....

Alterations to services between Slough and Reading 

Due to a problem currently under investigation between Slough and Reading the Reading bound slow line is blocked.

Impact
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 20 mins or revised. Disruption is expected until 09:00 03/11.

Freight train SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) in the Maidenhead area.
  GWR (Great Western Railway) twitter saying "broken down freight train", NR» (Network Rail - home page) saying "problem under investigation"..........my money's on BNM's theory!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 03, 2015, 10:01:16 »

Yes, BMN is right.  Although it was at Ruscombe, so nearer Twyford than Maidenhead.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 03, 2015, 13:26:21 »

Yes, BMN is right.  Although it was at Ruscombe, so nearer Twyford than Maidenhead.

Smacked bottom for someone then?

Would the freight company get clobbered for the delay minutes or would NR» (Network Rail - home page) have to go after them for it?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1009 on: November 03, 2015, 13:32:55 »

Amended to 'Operational Incident' after 0900.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 03, 2015, 13:35:53 »

Would the freight company get clobbered for the delay minutes or would NR» (Network Rail - home page) have to go after them for it?

All depends who is to blame. A SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) needn't necessarily be the train operator's fault.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 03, 2015, 14:59:04 »

Passed by signal by approximately 60 metres so well within the safety overlap, but as it is a signal that protects a junction it would have been treated quite seriously.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 03, 2015, 16:30:34 »

In my experience, at this time of year Turbos often seem to struggle to accelerate away from TWY (Twyford station) on the Up Relief so maybe poor railhead conditions played a part?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 03, 2015, 18:25:41 »

Yes, it could have done - although it was a pretty calm morning.  As usual when a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) occurs, a full investigation will take place including analysis of the engine's data recorder, and the driver tested for drugs/alcohol.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 03, 2015, 19:51:10 »

Yes, it could have done - although it was a pretty calm morning.  As usual when a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger) occurs, a full investigation will take place including analysis of the engine's data recorder, and the driver tested for drugs/alcohol.

.......and the signalling equipment data logger.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 03, 2015, 21:21:37 »

What's the most common cause/reason for a SPAD?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 03, 2015, 21:43:52 »

What's the most common cause/reason for a SPAD?

You can find out here http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-stats/statistical-releases and here http://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/displayreport/report/html/f94ef551-6bf5-4ae1-af4b-6b648212b0af
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 21:51:46 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 03, 2015, 21:54:52 »

What's the most common cause/reason for a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger)?
To add to the links from SandTEngineer:

I would guess the most common would be signal failures or the signaller deliberately placing the signal to danger, which are (or used to be) known as Category 'B' or 'C' SPAD's as the train could be running under green signals and if one suddenly goes back to red then the driver has no chance to react.  Once it is confirmed that the signals are working and the driver is fit to continue (it can be a bit of a shock depending on location) then there is usually no major disruption caused.

Category 'A' SPAD's are the most serious and their causes are widespread, ranging from faults with the train brakes, wheelslip (obviously bad this time of the year), and a whole range of human factors such as not controlling the speed of the train, misreading the signal, failure to acknowledge the cautionary aspects before, starting off from a platform where the signal is red, miscommunication with the signaller, driver micro-sleep...  I could go on.  From memory I think they get put into four different categories - Misread, Read Across (i.e. thinking the green signal on the next line is yours), Read Through (thinking the signal ahead is yours) or Disregard.  Though there's a whole range of reasons why one of those four might occur, so, after waffling for a bit I guess I can't really answer your question! 

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1018 on: November 03, 2015, 22:10:36 »

II has given the current definitions. Below are some examples.

Some of the most serious crashes, Harrow, Lewisham, Cowden Ladbroke Grove the driver seems to have missed the signal altogether.

Faulty AWS (Automatic Warning System) was part of Southall but the driver missed the double yellow and single yellows.

The recent Wotton Basett incident the driver seems to have disabled the AWS.

Confusion of aspects Berhampstead before the war where it wasn't clear to the driver that he was being routed over a crossover and went too fast and derailed.

Colwich confusion over the flashing yellows which applied to the fast to slow crosover signal and not the actual junction signal. Driver thought they applied to the junction signal so expected signal to clear and went too fast to stop when he realised it wasn't going to change.

Read through is interesting I've read there was problem at Rushcombe on  I think the Up Relief with drivers reading through thinking the red they could see in the distance was where they had to stop and missing the signal in between. I believe it was cured by changing the angle of sight of the far signal so it wasn't so visable from before the previous signal.

I find the whole philosophy of signalling fasinating. Where do you sight the signal at the exact braking distance but where it might be obscured by a curve, bridge etc. so lessening sighting time or say in front of a bridge and reduce braking distance. Is it acceptable for trains to run under a succesion of double yellows. It was said that in steam days during the rush hour trains on the Up Main from Hampton Court Junction to Waterloo didn't see a green until the platform signal at Waterloo. They ran steadily on single yellows changing to double.

If a signal has a short sighting time do you have a banner repeater? What aspects do you show. With LEDs you now have the green banner if the signal is showing green. Previously depending on the aspect of the previous signal you had to assumme that if the banner was off the next signal imight be showing a double or single yellow so you couldn't accelerate until you saw the main aspect.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 03, 2015, 22:35:31 »

I find the whole philosophy of signalling fasinating. Where do you sight the signal at the exact braking distance but where it might be obscured by a curve, bridge etc. so lessening sighting time or say in front of a bridge and reduce braking distance.

The layman would not believe the amount of work that goes into sighting a signal to try and give the driver the best view of it.  In days gone by they were often just placed at convenient locations but now there's a whole host of factors that are considered.  Three state banner repeaters are a recent innovation and help to get round some of the problems at awkward locations.

Reading through a signal most commonly happens at night where the perception of depth is generally far less, especially when there's very little other light pollution except for the signals.

There is no doubt in my mind that a large part of the fact we've had no passenger train fatalities in nine years is thanks to TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) which has stopped several SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger)'s from happening and greatly reduced the severity of others.  The Wootton Bassett SPAD is a great example of what could potentially happen without TPWS, in that case because it had been deliberately disabled.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: