Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:58:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243708 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 03, 2015, 22:45:14 »

There is now a train-cab driver's-view simulator using CGI (Computer-generated imagery) that can check sightings off-plan - i.e. based on the engineering design, which itself all computer data. I know it was used for Reading (RSAR), though whether it was then or is still experimental I am not sure.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:58:48 by stuving » Logged
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 04, 2015, 07:25:51 »

Signals at Hayes and Harlington are bust this morning. They have apparently been fixed but are causing congestion and delays.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 04, 2015, 10:04:11 »

There is now a train-cab driver's-view simulator using CGI (Computer-generated imagery) that can check sightings off-plan - i.e. based on the engineering design, which itself all computer data. I know it was used for Reading (RSAR), though whether it was then or is still experimental I am not sure.

The main reason for wanting this "Desktop Signal Sighting" or "Virtual Sighting" was electrification. That forest of masts and stanchions needs to be checked, every one of them, at the design stage; hence the use of CAE (computer-aided engineering).

Giaconda have some pictures here - I'm not sure if their system is the only one, created in effect for NR» (Network Rail - home page), or if there are others. As you can see, it mixes real video with CGI, and can also be used for driver briefing, training, and canvassing feedback. There are other examples on their site, including videos (but without their own URLs to link to).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:16:59 by stuving » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 04, 2015, 10:07:00 »

Thanks for all the responses to my "SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger)" question, very interesting.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 04, 2015, 10:49:35 »

Back in the early 2000s we used professional route cab videos as the aid to desk top design for the initial signal siting.  The initial Signal Siting Form (SSF) would be produced on this basis and the Signal Siting Committee (SSC (Signal Siting Committee)) would then visit site to determine the actual required position against the theory.  This would be fed back to the signalling design office and amendments made to the scheme design if required.  After commissioning all signals are checked again by the SSC to confirm no other issues have arisen.

The SSC consists of a qualified and experienced chairman and representatives from the signalling design office and the affected TOCs (Train Operating Company).  All have to sign the SSF to confirm acceptance.

My personal opinion, based upon over 45 years experience, is that we have gone too far in trying to make signal sighting perfect.  Introducing new controls etc. really complicates the signalling interlocking and that introduces new risks into the signalling system.  As the saying goes 'Complexity is the Enemy of Safety'.

Anyway back to the Thames Valley problems..............
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:57:10 by SandTEngineer » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: November 04, 2015, 15:25:03 »

I should have added that one of the problems with signal siting on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) between Paddington and Reading is that the signals on the Main Lines are spaced for 125mph running but those on the Relief Lines are spaced for 90mph or less running.  This means that the signals on the Main and Relief Lines are not always parallel or sometimes don't exist at all.  This can be dis-orientating for train drivers as the brain tends to always be looking for a signal opposite your own.  Its a well known risk and modern signalling schemes are prohibited from having such arrangements (sometimes at the cost of line speed and capacity).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: November 04, 2015, 18:30:08 »

The main reason for wanting this "Desktop Signal Sighting" or "Virtual Sighting" was electrification. That forest of masts and stanchions needs to be checked, every one of them, at the design stage; hence the use of CAE (computer-aided engineering).

Giaconda have some pictures here - I'm not sure if their system is the only one, created in effect for NR» (Network Rail - home page), or if there are others. As you can see, it mixes real video with CGI, and can also be used for driver briefing, training, and canvassing feedback. There are other examples on their site, including videos (but without their own URLs to link to).

Back in the early 2000s we used professional route cab videos as the aid to desk top design for the initial signal siting.  The initial Signal Siting Form (SSF) would be produced on this basis and the Signal Siting Committee (SSC (Signal Siting Committee)) would then visit site to determine the actual required position against the theory.  This would be fed back to the signalling design office and amendments made to the scheme design if required.  After commissioning all signals are checked again by the SSC to confirm no other issues have arisen.

The SSC consists of a qualified and experienced chairman and representatives from the signalling design office and the affected TOCs (Train Operating Company).  All have to sign the SSF to confirm acceptance.

My personal opinion, based upon over 45 years experience, is that we have gone too far in trying to make signal sighting perfect.  Introducing new controls etc. really complicates the signalling interlocking and that introduces new risks into the signalling system.  As the saying goes 'Complexity is the Enemy of Safety'.

Anyway back to the Thames Valley problems..............

As a Designated Project Engineer for a new build route the use of "fly through" CAD made the outline design signal sighting quicker, also the final signal sighting sign off was done with a CAD model, I had a CAD operator at the end of the phone so the Signal Designer could make minor adjustments signal positions live in the committee and could actually step up the aspects and illuminate route indicators etc.

Its all getting far to clever 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: November 09, 2015, 15:46:07 »

Cancellations to services between Ealing Broadway and London Paddington

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Ealing Broadway and London Paddington fewer trains are able to run on some London bound relief lines.

Impact
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 10 mins. Disruption is expected until 16:30 09/11

.............Greenfords starting to be cancelled, lets hope it clears as forecast by 1630.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1028 on: November 09, 2015, 16:46:04 »

At 16:45 Taplow Train Board showing every thing on time.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: November 09, 2015, 17:54:39 »

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Ealing Broadway and London Paddington fewer trains are able to run on some London bound relief lines.

If only! This would seem to apply that they have at least 3 sets of relief lines. No crossrail/hex/emu/turbo line capacity problems if that was the case.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: November 10, 2015, 10:40:42 »

At 16:45 Taplow Train Board showing every thing on time.

Indeed seemed to be very short lived, however it appears that Ealing Broadway was evacuated/closed for a while later on in the evening due to dangerous overcrowding on the platforms, pal of mine was stuck outside for a while.

I can remember commuting via Ealing B from 2002 - 2009 and it was always busy (more so in the evenings) but recently it seems to be chaotic in the evening peak.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: November 10, 2015, 11:41:25 »

I can remember commuting via Ealing B from 2002 - 2009 and it was always busy (more so in the evenings) but recently it seems to be chaotic in the evening peak.

Indeed, people keep coming in ever increasing numbers to use the train and tube.  The station rebuild (just about to get under way) which replaces the cramped concourse with something twice the size and additional train services post-Crossrail should make it able to cope much better.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: November 12, 2015, 11:18:39 »

Probably best to stay indoors today!!!

Cancellations to services between Bristol Parkway and Swindon
Due to urgent repairs to the track between Bristol Parkway and Swindon all lines are blocked.
Impact Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 35 mins or diverted. Disruption is expected until 02:00 13/11.

Cancellations to services between Gloucester and Bristol Parkway
Due to urgent repairs to the track between Gloucester and Bristol Parkway all lines are blocked.
Impact Train services running through these stations may be cancelled or suspended between Bristol Parkway and Gloucester. Yate and Cam & Dursley will not be served. Disruption is expected until 14:40 12/11.

Delays to services between Hayes & Harlington and London Paddington
Due to a fault on this train between Hayes & Harlington and London Paddington some lines are blocked.
Impact Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 30 mins. Disruption is expected until 12:00 12/11.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: November 12, 2015, 16:30:44 »

I've just returned from a road trip to Gloucester (sorry!) and the M5 southbound was also completely blocked for the morning between Gloucester and Stroud junctions (12 and 13) so no-one was travelling fast in that direction by any mode much before 2pm.  Clear by return at about that time.  It's not just the railways that can thwart plans.

Sadly a fatality was involved according to BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West In Breakfast.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:49 »

Bit of a zig-zag journey into Town on the early ex-Didcot High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) service (1P08) this morning. Reading east switch to the Mains as scheduled, back on to the Reliefs at Twyford West, and finally back on to the Mains once more at Ruscombe.  All to avoid a Class 180 ^Zafira^ receiving attention from the Fire Brigade in Twyford Platform 1.  Wondered what all the non-railway yellow hi-vis there were around.  I was hoping it wasn^t another personal tragedy.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 19:16:51 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: