Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:54:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1244626 times)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: December 17, 2015, 23:16:51 »

I just wonder, when did 10mins late on a 30min journey become so much the norm that the driver doesn't comment and 'all lines are awesome' ??
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 18, 2015, 08:53:21 »

Probably awesomely bad
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 18, 2015, 22:43:01 »

I just wonder, when did 10mins late on a 30min journey become so much the norm that the driver doesn't comment and 'all lines are awesome' ??

Probably been trained by London Underground - "There is a good service on all lines" says the auto announcer when you have been waiting twice as long as normal for a train and underground staff have closed the barriers to stop any more getting on to the overcrowded platforms
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 20, 2016, 08:59:01 »

Cancellations to services at Maidenhead
Due to a fault with the signalling system at Maidenhead some lines are disrupted.
Impact
Train services running through this station are returning to normal but some services may still be cancelled or delayed. Disruption is expected until 09:00 20/01.

Good to see things are returning to normal but a pretty miserable experience for a lot of people this morning, delays, cancellations and some dreadful overcrowding. I was 15 minutes late leaving Taplow and by the time we got past West Drayton the train was absolutely rammed.

Worse for those heading West I believe.

As I understand it there were 2 explanations/reasons being offered - signal problems caused by overnight engineering work and just good old fashioned signal problems!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 20, 2016, 09:52:50 »

You were lucky you only had 15 minutes delay.  At Pangbourne the busy 0836 to Reading and Paddington (which Mrs GTBE was going for to-day) was cancelled, and the next train (the 0849) didn't turned up until 0905.  It then managed to drop another 2 minutes to Reading, so 31 minutes late on a 9 minute journey.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 20, 2016, 09:55:11 »

You were lucky you only had 15 minutes delay.  At Pangbourne the busy 0836 to Reading and Paddington (which Mrs GTBE was going for to-day) was cancelled, and the next train (the 0849) didn't turned up until 0905.  It then managed to drop another 2 minutes to Reading, so 31 minutes late on a 9 minute journey.

Your fault per chance GTBE?
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 20, 2016, 11:03:43 »

Er.. yes. She^s on the train 3 days this week, so far played 2 lost 2.  Just hope tomorrow goes Ok. 

I think many of us who work or worked on the railway get the same treatment from our wives/husbands, friends etc.  At least us retired ones can say ^it wouldn^t have happened in my day^.  And maybe sometimes we^re right.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 20, 2016, 11:27:30 »

Yeah been a bit of a mess for me as well the past two mornings. Yesterdays 0738 from Goring was 2 car instead of 5. Arrived at Reading and were told it was running to Slough and Paddington only due to short form to avoid excessive overcrowding, which I thought was actually very well planned out as it would have been horrendous by Maidenhead.

Then this morning it was 5 cars as usual, then on arrival at Reading we were all turfed off due to a train fault (no idea what). The 0811 was then delayed, and just before we left around 0815, the 0758 from Goring arrived at Reading.

On a slightly different note, I thought 1st class was being removed from the turbos ? Since Christmas we have had 1st class on the 0738 almost every day (and I was just getting used to sitting in a comfy seat  Angry Grin )
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1073 on: January 20, 2016, 11:30:00 »

I thought that was only on the 165s? One section on the longer-distance 166s was being kept?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:26 »

Ah, that may explain it then, they have been 166's almost every day as well... Sorry guess I got confused, I thought they were only being kept on one particular line (very hazy memory so sorry for the vagueness!).
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:34 »

Then this morning it was 5 cars as usual, then on arrival at Reading we were all turfed off due to a train fault (no idea what). The 0811 was then delayed, and just before we left around 0815, the 0758 from Goring arrived at Reading.

No train fault on the 0738 from Goring, it was terminated early at Reading due to issues with the points at Ruscombe (between Twyford and Maidenhead).
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 20, 2016, 12:44:26 »

No train fault on the 0738 from Goring, it was terminated early at Reading due to issues with the points at Ruscombe (between Twyford and Maidenhead).

Oh, shame no one explained that then!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 20, 2016, 15:12:59 »

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Slough
Due to the emergency services dealing with an incident between London Paddington and Slough all lines are blocked.
Impact
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 mins. Disruption is expected until 17:00 20/01.

A fun evening to match the morning by the looks of it - I'm hearing someone on a bridge threatening to jump?
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 20, 2016, 15:23:23 »

Due to the emergency services dealing with an incident between London Paddington and Slough all lines are blocked.
Impact
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 mins. Disruption is expected until 17:00 20/01.

A fun evening to match the morning by the looks of it - I'm hearing someone on a bridge threatening to jump?

I appreciate the frustration this may be causing (on the top of all the other delays) but it may be worth exercising discretion on the forum and avoiding speculation. Nothing personal TG
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 20, 2016, 15:42:31 »

Impact

I appreciate the frustration this may be causing (on the top of all the other delays) but it may be worth exercising discretion on the forum and avoiding speculation. Nothing personal TG

Understood BB - things seem to be on the move again - happy ending thankfully.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: