Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:37:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1244965 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: August 14, 2016, 11:40:16 »

That sounds like them being run through under a possession.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: August 14, 2016, 12:14:35 »

Just noticed that the 1121 Didcot – Padd stopper was allowed to precede the 1125 Didcot – Bournemouth XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Didcot on the UM.  The outcome was the stopper was waiting time at Tilehurst and the XC was 11 late arriving at Reading.

I’m sure there was a good reason for this regulation – I can’t think what it could be but maybe someone has some suggestions….
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1262 on: August 14, 2016, 12:42:54 »

Just noticed that the 1121 Didcot – Padd stopper was allowed to precede the 1125 Didcot – Bournemouth XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Didcot on the UM.  The outcome was the stopper was waiting time at Tilehurst and the XC was 11 late arriving at Reading.

I’m sure there was a good reason for this regulation – I can’t think what it could be but maybe someone has some suggestions….

The XC was only 3 late leaving Reading, however, as it had a stop scheduled there that's longer than operationally needed.   Had the 11:21 been held back to (say) 11:28 at Didcot, the knock-on beyond Reading would have potentially been greater that the delay beyond Reading on the Cross Country service.

I suggest there was no "right" decision to be made on the regulation of these two trains. 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 14, 2016, 12:43:25 »

That sounds like them being run through under a possession.

Spot on
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 14, 2016, 13:16:01 »

The XC was only 3 late leaving Reading, however, as it had a stop scheduled there that's longer than operationally needed.   Had the 11:21 been held back to (say) 11:28 at Didcot, the knock-on beyond Reading would have potentially been greater that the delay beyond Reading on the Cross Country service.

I suggest there was no "right" decision to be made on the regulation of these two trains. 

Well… the stopper also has a long scheduled stop at Reading, from 1147 to 1154.  It didn’t do the Pangbourne stop, which probably saved 2 minutes (hence arriving early at Tilehurst). 

If it had left Didcot at 1128 (ie 7 late) following the XC it should have got to Reading by 1152.  It could have departed on time at 1154, as could have the XC at 1151.

Edit later:  Maybe being flippant, but if there had been a southbound Freightliner coming round Didcot East Curve at 1125 that would OF COURSE have been allowed to precede the stopper, notwithstanding any delays beyond Reading!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 14:09:07 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 14, 2016, 21:49:21 »

Bournemouth XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Didcot on the UM. 

Side issue really, for my education. "UM" is obviously Up Main (at least I think it is!), and I can work out many of the line and path abbreviations used in RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and elsewhere. But not all - is there a glossary? They are not all in the Acronyms/Abbreviations part of the form.

Now, please!
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 15, 2016, 18:23:59 »

I haven't seen any reference to this on other threads so I'll pop it here for the meantime.

Can I just say what a wonderful commuting experience I've had over the past two weeks whilst the Oxford engineering works have been taking place. Trains have run on time, but most importantly they've been proper High Speed Train's (HST (High Speed Train))'s serving the Thames Valley. Most notably the 18.18 6 carriage sweat-fest to Maidenhead was an High Speed Train (HST). Interestingly the 18.18 was still standing in the aisles, giving an idea of demand. Today we're back to the stinky sauna and my summer treat is over.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 18:52:05 by VickiS » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 23, 2016, 10:28:20 »

Three days of temperatures expected to be at, or above, 30 degrees.  That always seems to be the point at which the UK (United Kingdom) railways struggle, so I'm expecting delays the later into the day(s) we get.  Let's hope I'm wrong this time!

Turning out to be a very pleasant August...  Cool

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 23, 2016, 17:51:01 »

For once not the infrastructure.. delays out of Paddington, particularly on the relief lines, after a turbo was hit by stone throwers between Southall and Hayes & Harlington and suffered a broken side window.  At one point five trains were stationary because of it.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 24, 2016, 15:51:45 »

16:45 London Paddington to Reading due 17:47 
This train will be cancelled.
This is due to a points failure.

-Points failure not yet flagged on a Line Update however it's affecting loads of service with stops being missed out etc.........could be a fun rush hour in the heat (which may be responsible I guess?)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 24, 2016, 15:58:21 »

Points failure is at Acton on the Up Relief.  Trains having to run on the Main and miss stops so they don't delay HST (High Speed Train) services and bring the whole show to a halt.

EDIT: Now fixed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 16:20:13 by bobm » Logged
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 24, 2016, 18:24:30 »

Signalling problems just south of Oxford this lunchtime. No northbound services for about an hour with residual issues affecting the Cotswold Line through out the afternoon. And as a cherry on top, the 1552 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains):MIM broke down and didn't (as far as I understood) get beyond Reading.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 24, 2016, 21:49:09 »

For once not the infrastructure.. delays out of Paddington, particularly on the relief lines, after a turbo was hit by stone throwers between Southall and Hayes & Harlington and suffered a broken side window.  At one point five trains were stationary because of it.

Here's a report:

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/unbelievably-dangerous-stupid-thing-do-11793031

Not been too bad the last couple of days, notwithstanding the incident above, there's been a few points failures and the odd train giving up in the heat leading to some delays and cancellations, but not the total service meltdown we've seen in previous years.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
dviner

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 28, 2016, 13:27:46 »

Well… the stopper also has a long scheduled stop at Reading, from 1147 to 1154.  It didn’t do the Pangbourne stop, which probably saved 2 minutes (hence arriving early at Tilehurst). 

If it had left Didcot at 1128 (ie 7 late) following the XC it should have got to Reading by 1152.  It could have departed on time at 1154, as could have the XC at 1151.

Edit later:  Maybe being flippant, but if there had been a southbound Freightliner coming round Didcot East Curve at 1125 that would OF COURSE have been allowed to precede the stopper, notwithstanding any delays beyond Reading!

Sorry, couldn't really unpick all the quotes in the above, but the reasoning behind giving a theoretical Freightliner in front of the stopper is because the stoppers can accelerate better than the freight - so allowing the freight to have all greens (and thus not having to slow down for yellows and reds) will let the freight keep to time. A following stopper may be able to either make up the time, or at least maintain the same delay.

Can't explain the stopper/xc decision though.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 03, 2016, 08:03:31 »

Well this is a new one - how many staff are affected? I wonder what's happened? Not too serious I hope?

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington

Due to signalling staff being taken ill between London Paddington and Hayes & Harlington all lines are blocked.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed. Disruption is expected until 09:30 03/09.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: