Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 09:26:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1255093 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 26, 2016, 16:41:48 »

Still, at least our network didn't suffer with any major landslips, this one affecting the WCML (West Coast Main Line) near Watford today is causing a great deal of disruption and can possibly be described as a 'lucky escape' as it appears a train coming the other way actually made contact with the derailed one: http://www.itv.com/news/2016-09-16/train-derailed-at-watford-junction/

Will be interesting to see the final report on this one, but it's confirmed by the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) that the train which struck the derailed one received a GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) emergency stop message sent by the driver of the derailed train and had reduced the speed from 80mph to 32mph before the collision.  It is quite possible that before the advent of GSM-R whatever radio system had previously been in operation would not have been able to alert the driver of the oncoming train in time for him/her to start braking - particularly as a tunnel was involved.  I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that GSM-R may well have prevented serious loss of life here!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/derailment-and-collision-watford-tunnel

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/watford-junction-derailment-crashed-train-travelling-at-80mph-before-braking-investigators-find-a3354401.html

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 27, 2016, 19:43:31 »

From my casual observation (i.e. looking out of passing HST (High Speed Train) windows), I don't believe the wires are even installed there yet. So presumably the damage is to a gantry or some other piece of support infrastructure?

I had a look yesterday morning and there are wires installed for a short length of the line around and through Burnham station...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 27, 2016, 19:50:13 »

I believe it was another earthing bond that had come loose, so not a permanent part of the electrification equipment.  Three out of the four lines through Burnham have now been wired for a short section towards Slough.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 27, 2016, 22:18:23 »

I believe it was another earthing bond that had come loose, so not a permanent part of the electrification equipment.  Three out of the four lines through Burnham have now been wired for a short section towards Slough.
  Not really very encouraging is it? One tiny length wired and already causing problems before its even in use!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 27, 2016, 23:03:10 »

Not really very encouraging is it? One tiny length wired and already causing problems before its even in use!

It would be far less encouraging if it was part of the permanent equipment.  AIUI (as I understand it) these are only earthing bonds attached as a safety measure during the installation of the equipment.  'Electric Train' may be able to elaborate.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: September 28, 2016, 09:22:29 »

No, it is not very encouraging, though as others have pointed out it appears that a temporary earth connection was the problem and not part of the permanent install.

I remain a bit doubtful as to the reliability of the new electric railway, having suffered badly from the failed east coast scheme.
Hopefully lessons have been learnt ! The structures being erected on the GWR (Great Western Railway) certainly appear to be much more substantial than those on the East coast job. Portal frames should be inherently more reliable than span wires.

My main concern regarding GWR electrification is not in fact the wires coming down, well not that  often anyway. I fear the increasing sophistication and computerisation of the electrical infrastructure, some of which I fear to be new and untested technology.
I suspect that the power will be turned off or trip out fairly regularly due to computer or software issues. Or to over sensitive protective devices. "all services through Slough are subject to delay and cancellation because a pigeon has flown into the overhead at Bristol"
Yet another growing risk to the reliability and performance of an electric railway is the increasing concern for the welfare of trespassers "all services from Paddington are suspended at present as the traction current has been isolated due to a person climbing the OHLE near Reading"

On The Other Hand (OTOH (On The Other Hand)), the new trains can proceed on diesel power when the wires come down or the current is turned off, perhaps refreshment could be taken in the buffet during any such delays Roll Eyes

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 16:34:37 by VickiS » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 28, 2016, 12:00:39 »

My main concern regarding GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification is not in fact the wires coming down, well not that  often anyway. I fear the increasing sophistication and computerisation of the electrical infrastructure, some of which I fear to be new and untested technology.
I suspect that the power will be turned off or trip out fairly regularly due to computer or software issues. Or to over sensitive protective devices. "all services through Slough are subject to delay and cancellation because a pigeon has flown into the overhead at Bristol"
Yet another growing risk to the reliability and performance of an electric railway is the increasing concern for the welfare of trespassers "all services from Paddington are suspended at present as the traction current has been isolated due to a person climbing the OHLE near Reading"

Both general scenarios are possible - though I doubt a pigeon at Bristol would affect all services at Slough?.  I guess it depends on whether they happen more or less often than current situations that won't happen, such as 'services delayed due to an engine failure/train running out of fuel/engine fire' etc.  What tends to be the case is that it will happen less often, but when it does there will be more of an impact.  Though apart from the Turbo derailment hitting a gantry outside of Paddington a few months back I can't recall many occasions where the current has had to be isolated due to a fault/emergency on that admittedly short but very busy and highly populated section.

OTOH (On The Other Hand), the new trains can proceed on diesel power when the wires come down or the current is turned off, perhaps refreshment could be taken in the buffet during any such delays Roll Eyes

Depending on whether there's physical damage to the cables in front, or a stranded Class 387 in front, they will be able to proceed.  No doubt emergency supplies of water will be kept in the kitchen.  At the very minimum, at least the air-con and lights will continue to work!  Regarding the 387s, one small reason I'm glad we've got Bombadier electric trains rather than the Siemens equivalent is that there are at least a small number of windows that can be opened should the air-con fail on a very warm day.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1402 on: September 28, 2016, 12:05:03 »

How many times have we heard of a pigeon hitting the West/East Coast lines? A swan, I think, once, but not sure any pigeon....
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 28, 2016, 12:07:54 »

In all my years of working underneath overhead wires I have witnessed many fried pigeons but cannot recall train services ever being delayed by them  Roll Eyes Tongue.  The breakers will automatically reset anyway.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 15:40:54 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 28, 2016, 12:08:35 »

How about balloons... ? Smiley
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13560.msg147774#msg147774
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1405 on: September 28, 2016, 12:10:51 »

But if they came down now, it would bring trains to a halt....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 28, 2016, 12:24:05 »

How many times have we heard of a pigeon hitting the West/East Coast lines? A swan, I think, once, but not sure any pigeon....

AFAIK (as far as I know) pigeons regularly strike the existing Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) but without any serious consequences except for the pigeon.
My concern is that more sensitive equipment might trip out be damaged by an event that was previously of little consequence.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 16:35:33 by VickiS » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #1407 on: September 28, 2016, 18:50:01 »

Problems between Paddington and West Ealing tonight due, according to Great Western Railway (GWR (Great Western Railway)) Journey Check, a signalling problem.    However, BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Travel state the cable thieves have changed tactics to nicking Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE).   Difficult to believe unless not live and the thieves knew it.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 16:36:34 by VickiS » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 28, 2016, 19:14:36 »

I suspect that the Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) is not live and that the thieves know it.

Edit: VickiS - Clariying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 16:37:25 by VickiS » Logged

rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 28, 2016, 20:14:50 »

I suspect that the OHLE is not live and that the thieves know it.
And unlike signalling cables, where zero-scrap-value fibre-optic cables can often be used, OHLE needs to be low resistance, and that means copper.  Gold is quite low in resistance too...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: