Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:04:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1258710 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: March 26, 2017, 20:42:48 »

Rather surprisingly, as of yesterday at least, platform 5 at Maidenhead hadn't been fitted with contact wire.  Unless it was done last night prior to today's testing?  That platform will need to be available for the May electric service to give a certain amount of flexibility.

A wire run like that does not take much to install, it would not stop the key commissioning of section proving. protection relay directional tests and Vl / Vt test

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 26, 2017, 22:40:55 »

Not enough paths Oxford-Didcot.

That's not as black and white as your comment implies.

I noticed from Real Time Trains that the services used Didcot West Curve rather than into Didcot Parkway then reverse.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1682 on: March 26, 2017, 23:46:50 »

Not enough paths Oxford-Didcot.

That's not as black and white as your comment implies.

I noticed from Real Time Trains that the services used Didcot West Curve rather than into Didcot Parkway then reverse.

When local (electric) trains from London terminate at Didcot and there's a shuttle from there to Oxford, might it not be logical to start that shuttle back at Bristol and reverse at Didcot - it then doubles up as the local connector and the Oxford to the West service, tapping the Oxford to Swindon market and not taking an extra paths.  Should a Wantage station open at some date in the future, it's also an enabling service that would provide a useful connection to London at Didcot.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1683 on: March 27, 2017, 10:12:25 »

Reported on twitter that energisation of wires happened over the weekend from Airport Junction to Maidenhead. The 387s won't reach Maidenhead in service until the May17 timetable change however.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: March 28, 2017, 07:38:10 »

Delays to services between Slough and London Paddington
Due to a fault with the signalling system between Slough and London Paddington trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines towards London Paddington.

Todays daily delay......Currently sitting on 0702 from Maidenhead, roughly 30 minutes late.....still a fair way from Paddington and crawling along (.....the train, not me)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:45:52 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 28, 2017, 08:48:55 »

18 minutes late for me on 1L10. There are some mutterings on Twitter about a broken down train as well as the inevitable signalling problems.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: March 28, 2017, 08:51:35 »

From Journey Planner:

Following congestion between Slough and London Paddington all lines have now reopened.
Train services running to and from these stations are returning to normal but some services may still be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 09:45 28/03.
Further Information
The combination of earlier signalling problems in the Hayes area and a broken down train outside London Paddington have resulted in some congestion in the area.

Hope it helps.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 28, 2017, 08:56:03 »

TG's train arrived 23 minutes late, so that along with Jason's 18 minute late arrival were typical of many services this morning.  Roll on DelayRepay15...!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 28, 2017, 11:56:39 »

The 3187 description has been stuck in there since the signalling 'commissioning' at xmas/new year 2016/2017 Wink  I think II told us in another thread that the physical construction hasn't been completed yet.  Anybody got a photograph as it would be nice to see whats been done at Maidenhead (no good looking out of a train window at 125mph)?  Roll Eyes Tongue

No photos sadly, but I can confirm the current state of play:

1) Station area:  Wires up throughout station area (and now assumed live) except for the London end of Platform 5 through to Maidenhead East Junction.
2) Turnback siding:  Wires are up on the turnback siding and signalling is installed, but there's no track beyond the S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) as yet - I heard it was to be installed during April, so presumably Easter weekend.
3) Stabling sidings:  No wires on any of them yet, though all other OHLE fixtures and fitting seem to be installed.  First two sidings are 'open' and signalled, the others all have rails and are ballasted but signalling work remains to be installed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 28, 2017, 18:02:16 »

TG's train arrived 23 minutes late, so that along with Jason's 18 minute late arrival were typical of many services this morning.  Roll on DelayRepay15...!

I just want the trains to run on time reliably, that's all....signal failures are a virtually daily occurrence now in LTV (London [and] Thames Valley), despite all the promises going back years......weather marginally warmer today, wonder how long it'll be before the mass cancellations & delays caused by "poor rail conditions " add to the fun?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 28, 2017, 20:35:54 »

I have continued the discussion on Maidenhead here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=5066.msg211985#msg211985
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1691 on: March 29, 2017, 17:17:40 »

With thanks for the suggestions, I'm now going to do a bit of 'moving and merging' of some recent posts on this topic.  CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 31, 2017, 07:41:26 »

Disruption between Reading and London Paddington expected until 08:30
Last updated: 07:23 31/03/2017
Incident created: 31/03/2017 07:22
Route affected
Between Cheltenham Spa / Bedwyn / Newbury / Oxford / Reading and London Paddington
Train operator affected
Great Western Railway
Description
A signalling problem between Reading and Slough is causing disruption to trains between Reading and London Paddington. The following alterations will apply:
Trains to / from Cheltenham Spa will only run between Cheltenham Spa and Swindon
Trains to / from Bedwyn will only run between Bedwyn and Reading
'Stopping' services from Oxford towards London Paddington will run non-stop between Reading and Slough es
All other services may be delayed by up to 15 minutes between Reading and London Paddington

Disruption is expected to continue until approximately 08:30.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 31, 2017, 07:42:46 »

Fault at Burnham it would appear
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 31, 2017, 13:07:20 »

At the moment I am commuting between Reading and Watford Junction leaving RDG(resolve) on the 6:16am. I've been doing this for about 2-3 months now and I am struggling to remember there being any major disruption!

That will be the death knoll then!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: