Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:29:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[68] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[63] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[62] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1244908 times)
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: June 21, 2017, 22:56:07 »

So other than someone having a pre-cooked meal, and some feathers for a new hat to go to Ascot with, do we actually know what happened last night, and why on earth it took so long to sort out?

There is a 1967 British Transport Film called "Second Nature". The main theme of the film concerns repairs to the catenary wire following a flashover under a bridge triggered by a crow.

Fifty years on...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: June 22, 2017, 00:55:08 »

Perhaps ElectricTrain can elaborate on whether the new electrification equipment provides any extra resilience against this rare but potentially very disruptive bird risk?  I believe Monday's incident occurred near West Ealing so that's obviously an older section done in the mid 90s.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 15:42:57 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1877 on: June 22, 2017, 02:48:49 »

Just for interest there is a detailed explanation of the problems which affected OTT (Open Train Times website) on Monday here - https://blog.opentraintimes.com/2017/06/19/post-incident-review/

An excellent and unusual example of the provision of feedback to a quite detailed level. There are others (web, train operation and infrastructure) who could do worse than follow the example.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:49 »

Surprisingly good performance today from NR» (Network Rail - home page) and GWR (Great Western Railway).  A few delays/cancellations/short forms, but overall not too bad given it was the hottest day of the four day heatwave (hottest June days in over 40 years), the disruption of the previous three days (especially Monday) and sets being nicked for Glastonbury.

.......which goes to show that whilst you can't polish a turd, it's always possible to scatter a little glitter over it! ;-)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 22, 2017, 20:26:09 »

Perhaps ElectricTrain can elaborate on whether the new electrification equipment provides any extra resilience against this rare but potentially very disruptive bird risk?  I believe Monday's incident occurred near West Ealing so that's obviously an older section done in the mid 90s.

Bird strikes on OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") used to be very common on the older Mk1 (what was on most of the WCML (West Coast Main Line)) Anglia suffer from swan and goose bird strikes.............. now they do make a mess, however bird strikes are not so common Mk3 and UK (United Kingdom) series 1

If it was in the Ealing area it could have been a couple of pigeons getting a bit frisky on perhaps one of the bridge arms under the "tunnels"

Birds (pigeon size) make a mess of insulators.

The OLE engineers have designed out places where birds can roost and nest on OLE and generally birds don't like pan wells because the trains move

The other thing that can happen is birds nesting or roosting in the Pan wells on traction units.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 22, 2017, 21:27:47 »

Bird strikes on OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") used to be very common on the older Mk1 (what was on most of the WCML (West Coast Main Line)) Anglia suffer from swan and goose bird strikes.............. now they do make a mess, however bird strikes are not so common Mk3 and UK (United Kingdom) series 1

If it was in the Ealing area it could have been a couple of pigeons getting a bit frisky on perhaps one of the bridge arms under the "tunnels"

The OLE engineers have designed out places where birds can roost and nest on OLE and generally birds don't like pan wells because the trains move

The other thing that can happen is birds nesting or roosting in the Pan wells on traction units.

Swan and Goose strikes? 

If the infrastructure is so feeble that a small, humble pigeon can turn the service to rats**t for the best part of a day and evening, God knows what a swan could do? No service for a week?

Maybe scarecrows in GWR (Great Western Railway) uniforms could be strategically positioned trackside to frighten them off?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 22, 2017, 21:59:28 »

A word of warning for those who may be relying on it for information, OTT (Open Train Times website) appears to be suffering from the heat as well as it seems to be lagging by over 5 minutes on the actual position of trains.

Just for interest there is a detailed explanation of the problems which affected OTT on Monday here - https://blog.opentraintimes.com/2017/06/19/post-incident-review/

Lagging by 10 minutes or so tonight as well, but I think that's a problem with the NR» (Network Rail - home page) feed rather than OTT as the railcam maps are also lagging by the same amount.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 22, 2017, 22:30:41 »

Swan and Goose strikes? 

If the infrastructure is so feeble that a small, humble pigeon can turn the service to rats**t for the best part of a day and evening, God knows what a swan could do? No service for a week?

Maybe scarecrows in GWR (Great Western Railway) uniforms could be strategically positioned trackside to frighten them off?

Usually pigeons just go phut in a big cloud of feathers often not even tripping the circuit breakers feeding a section.

I don't know what happened Monday, if the mortal remains of a bird stayed put which meant the ECR keep getting circuit breaker trips and if the MOMs (Mobile Operations Manager) cannot clear it with the live working tools they have then the OLE team is called out to site to inspect the suspect area, the protection relays used on OLE circuit breakers give a reasonably accurate location of where the fault is and usually the MOMs can deal with things quite quickly.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1883 on: June 22, 2017, 23:07:51 »

I heard there was more concern with the debris on the track than usual, and that took an unduakly long time to get clearance / cleared
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 22, 2017, 23:32:39 »

I heard there was more concern with the debris on the track than usual, and that took an unduakly long time to get clearance / cleared

I assumed, from the time it took, that the condition of the bridge was the issue. Such as: peering into the hole left by the flashover, and waggling the potentially loose bits round the edge, it looked as if a lot more might be ready to fall on the track.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:53 »

I assumed, from the time it took, that the condition of the bridge was the issue. Such as: peering into the hole left by the flashover, and waggling the potentially loose bits round the edge, it looked as if a lot more might be ready to fall on the track.
Also https://www.gov.uk/raib-reports/partial-collapse-of-a-bridge-onto-open-railway-lines-at-barrow-upon-soar has just been published, so maybe a touch of extra caution regarding possible damage to overbridges was appropriate.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 23, 2017, 19:18:52 »

Ok, Barrow-upon-Soar incident is perhaps not quite the same as the Ealing one. 

If the Ealing incident was caused by a bird and this lead to a flashover from the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") to a masonry over bridge the discharge of electrical energy as an earth fault into a relatively high impedance, this can result in the masonry fracturing (exploding), indeed its has been know for the fault current to travel tens of metres through the masonry before the protection clears the fault, its should noted that we are talking a max of 200mS.

The mitigate / control OLE to masonry over bridges earthed metal strips are now run on the underside of the bridge in flash over strike zone, normally 2 parallel strips.  In some locations insulating shrouds are fitted on the top of the catenary, this is generally not likes by the OLE engineer as they require a lot of maintenance, another measure can be to paint the underside of the bridge with insulating paint this is expensive and again can be high maintenance.

The use of earthed strips has only been a requirement for about 5 or 6 years.   Anyone travelling through Slough at a relatively low speed look at the underside of Stoke Rd Bridge (this is the at the West end of the station) and you will see the strips on the underside of the bridge above the OLE

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 23, 2017, 23:23:28 »

2 coaches again for the 17.36. not a chance of getting on.

From what people said above this is planned changes around Glastonbury so why not give passengers a chance and advertise it? I got a text just before 17.00 by which time I was already committed to my commute across London but it sounds like this had been planned some time in advance but there was nothing on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website about formation changes when I left work. To me it doesn't seem a difficult thing to communicate around planned work.

On a different topic is customer service/communication part of the infrastructure thread as it doesn't quite sit with the conversations about OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") or even 125 air con (I never knew that!)? Happy to start a separate thread although I worry it might just be me and Taplow Green comparing journeys home.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 24, 2017, 05:51:27 »

I wonder how many years before we are seeing such a post/complaint on the Trans Wilts board.  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1889 on: June 24, 2017, 06:34:38 »

I wonder how many years before we are seeing such a post/complaint on the Trans Wilts board.  Cheesy

I was thinking of offering a swap of their 17:36 for our 17:36.   I will glady accept that turbo and they can borrow Casper  Grin .

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: