Delayed
05:25 Swansea to London Paddington
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 05:36:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1255474 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: July 06, 2017, 23:07:31 »

Might it have become this service, 1Z41 2132 RDG(resolve) to Worcester Shrub Hill?
Yup, that explains that then
teamsaint

View Profile Email
« Reply #1951 on: July 06, 2017, 23:13:20 »

If it wasn't before, I think it is now time for a deep level cross-industry enquiry regarding the ongoing signalling reliability between Maidenhead and Paddington.  There are far too many minor outages and far too many major ones such as today and yesterday.  With the ever increasing numbers of people wanting to travel by train, this simply isn't good enough.
...and while they are at it, they could do something about the seemingly almost daily signalling problems around Wimbledon/ Clapham .

Really sorry to hear about the problems  in and out of Paddington, must be miserable for anybody affected,
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 06, 2017, 23:17:43 »

Absolutely TG. It is not the ineptitude that I resent but the comtempt that I'm held by GWR (Great Western Railway) workers for trying to just get home. I've taken Friday as holiday as I haven't seen my one year old since Monday due to gwr's doing. Utter utter dishclothes from start to finish.

lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 06, 2017, 23:37:25 »

Luckily for me it wasn't too bad tonight. I arrived at Maidenhead around 5pm to see platform 3 heaving. Once I found out what was going on, I prepared for a long wait. Couldn't believe my eyes when a freight train went thundering through platform 4. Not only do these things constantly delay paying customers, now they also don't seem to need signals!

A 3 car service to Reading arrived which saw 99% of the platform cram on (no idea how they actually managed that, it must have been a GWR (Great Western Railway) Tardis). I didn't even bother moving. A short while later there was an announcement that the train at Platform 4 was running back to Reading and advised all passengers for Reading and beyond, or wanting Paddington to travel to Reading and get a service to Waterloo. Train was relatively empty as the vast majority had just crammed on the other 3 car turbo.

Arrived at Reading expecting to be stranded while we wait for something to get through the signal problems and crawl to Reading, when there was an announcement that the turbo at platform 14A was going to run to Oxford.

In the end I was home about 20mins late.

For once, common sense seemed to prevail and they managed to keep some local service running for those passengers not travelling to the affected areas by running the two shuttle services - so kudos for that.

Sorry to hear everyone else is having such a dire time, especially in this heat (which always makes frustrations boil over even more). Hope you guys manage(d) to get home eventually.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 06, 2017, 23:41:29 »

Just leaving Waterloo on the 2258 to Windsor.. under normal circumstances I'd have been on the 1742 from Paddington-Maidenhead and may have been able to say goodnight to my kids......I believe there are some people who are "proud" to work on the railways. Time to look in the mirror & think very hard.

I'm still proud to work on the railway.  I strive to personally do my best at all times for an industry that has its problems but still often provides people with a great experience.  If I can help that happen in some small way, I will.  I am also not afraid to criticise vehemently when people are badly let down as they have been this week.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 06, 2017, 23:44:04 »

I was supposed to get the 1835 to Taunton. Didn't fancy a cramped and sweaty Waterloo train so hung around for a couple of beers. Eventually got on the wedged 2045 to Bristol which was the first High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). I was on the bridge so beat the stampede  a and got a seat - thankfully in a coach with AC (several coaches were sweat boxes I hear). We lost loads of time on the way West, but connected with the 2306 to Exeter. Should get to Taunton just after midnight - not looking forward to the ride to Lydeard in the dark. Was hoping to do it in the light and have a pint in the Lethbridge. Ho hum!

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 15:47:50 by VickiS » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 07, 2017, 00:05:27 »

Just leaving Waterloo on the 2258 to Windsor.. under normal circumstances I'd have been on the 1742 from Paddington-Maidenhead and may have been able to say goodnight to my kids......I believe there are some people who are "proud" to work on the railways. Time to look in the mirror & think very hard.

Agree. Many employees work hard and diligently and are justifiably proud of so doing, but this does not excuse the appalling response of GWR (Great Western Railway) and many employees whose response was to hide until it was over.

In view of the increasing frequency of these major shutdowns, GWR really need to have some more robust contingency plans for hot weather, cold weather, wind and rain. (and exploding pigeons)

Despite the very poor response by GWR, we must remember that the actual breakdown was not their fault, it was yet another network rail failure. This is beginning to look like basic incompetence.
Most reasonable passengers would very reluctantly accept even breakdowns on this scale provided that they were truly exceptional. By this I mean once or at the most twice in an average working lifetime, and certainly not several times a year.
Whilst breakdowns have always occurred, I do not recall London terminals being closed/providing no effective service in the rush hour until relatively recently.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 07, 2017, 00:11:45 »

No, it arrived 292 late, and then as Charles said it departed 312 late, hence why RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) says 16:19 - 21:11 (292). It says 312 late because that was the time it did depart,  perhaps it continued empty or as a different headcode, but I saw it leave on OTT (Open Train Times website) around 21:30

Is 5 hours late a record, for a local service in peacetime ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: July 07, 2017, 03:50:40 »

Joint statement issued by GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail.

Major Disruption on the GWR network

We would like to apologise to customers after a significant signal failure outside London Paddington last night, 6th July, that prevented all trains running in to and out of the station for the second evening in a row.

We fully recognise the scale of disruption to the many passengers who experienced difficulties traveling, and we are extremely sorry for the challenges it caused.

Network Rail had teams on the ground to fix the problem as soon as possible, but it took considerably longer than we would have liked before the signalling was restored at 20.18, allowing GWR to start running trains again.

Network Rail is now conducting an immediate investigation into the cause of this failure and putting in place additional measures to reinforce signalling equipment in the area until the results of the investigation are known, and a permanent solution is in place.

There will be some disruption during the morning of Friday 7th July as trains are in the wrong place for the start of the day's service. Please check your journey here.

Passengers affected by the disruption on either evening can find out more about how to claim compensation here.

Mark Langman,

Managing Director, Western Route

Network Rail

&

Mark Hopwood

Managing Director, Great Western Railway
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: July 07, 2017, 04:00:27 »

This morning's cancellations

05:11 Worcester SH to Paddington
07:12 Taunton to Paddington
05:30 Plymouth to Paddington
(05:53 Plymouth to Paddington to call additionally at Totnes, Dawlish and Pewsey)
08:20 Plymouth to Penzance
07:41 Penzance to Paddington
06:05 Frome to Paddington
07:59 Swansea to Paddington

0546 Exeter to Paddington will a 150 as far as Taunton then an HST (High Speed Train)

Also some Paddington-Hayes shuttles cancelled.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: July 07, 2017, 06:24:49 »

If it wasn't before, I think it is now time for a deep level cross-industry enquiry regarding the ongoing signalling reliability between Maidenhead and Paddington.  There are far too many minor outages and far too many major ones such as today and yesterday.  With the ever increasing numbers of people wanting to travel by train, this simply isn't good enough.

Well said. If a train operating company failed to provide any kind of service they'd be hauled up in front of the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to answe some serious questions. Network Rail seemingly get away with it time and time again. We've had complete meltdowns of the infrastructure at Bristol, twice between Exeter and Taunton and now twice in the Thames Valley in the last 2 to 3 weeks. Someone within Network Rail needs to be made publically accountable for these serious failings because it's becoming increasing apparent that the management within Network Rail Great Western are out of their depth.
jmc85

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: July 07, 2017, 07:25:48 »

No, it arrived 292 late, and then as Charles said it departed 312 late, hence why RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) says 16:19 - 21:11 (292). It says 312 late because that was the time it did depart,  perhaps it continued empty or as a different headcode, but I saw it leave on OTT (Open Train Times website) around 21:30

Is 5 hours late a record, for a local service in peacetime ?

I was on this train from Paddington to Charlbury - it just continued from Reading! Sat down at 1535, got off at Charlbury at 2220 (instead of 1703).

The four hour stop at Hayes was the highlight - at least platformed so they could open the doors and provide water. This then became an all-stopper to Reading so further delayed progress.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: July 07, 2017, 07:40:40 »

I thought my being stuck at Hayes for an hour the day before was bad enough, but four hours?! You have my sympathy.  Shocked

Welcome to the forum.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
jmc85

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:45 »

The failure of of the 0633 Charlbury to Paddington in the morning wasn't great either, blocking the line for a few hours!

Only running 10 minutes late this morning - so all looking positive! Still a while to run yet
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: July 07, 2017, 08:45:43 »

I'm still proud to work on the railway.  I strive to personally do my best at all times for an industry that has its problems but still often provides people with a great experience.  If I can help that happen in some small way, I will.  I am also not afraid to criticise vehemently when people are badly let down as they have been this week.

Me too.

I spend my working day identifying and solving equipment problems, the infrastructure is large, complex and access to do anything to it extremely limited, yet we catch 99.9% of the problems before they become a crises; and I do mean WE its a diverse team of people with different skills that keeps the trains moving.

The motivation for many is about to sink as NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff are now classed as public sector so 1% pay rise which will equate for most as 0.8% ................. I can see many skilled staff leave NR to work for contractors or like me contemplate retiring early and take final salary pension and the 40 plus years of experience with me

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: