Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 00:55 26 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
26th Apr (2016)
DOO strikes start on Southern (link)

Train RunningCancelled
26/04/24 05:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 06:04 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 06:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 07:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
26/04/24 07:34 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
26/04/24 08:07 Didcot Parkway to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 26, 2024, 00:58:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1258744 times)
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:15 »

Disruption expected until 11:00 - still appears overly ambitious.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: July 14, 2017, 10:20:46 »

Things are starting to clear now as the signalling is now up-and-running again thankfully.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:59 »

And once again, it shows the value of this thread.

From a GWR (Great Western Railway) user perspective, it appears the service has deteriorated significantly over the last five-six weeks. Is it just an impression or are there hard facts to prove it? This thread confirms that the service really hasn't been acceptable.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: July 14, 2017, 10:34:09 »

I don't think anyone would argue that it's been a terrible summer with a huge number of significant delays.  New signalling has been woefully unreliable, and whilst most of the problems have not been directly down to GWR (Great Western Railway), their response to the problems has been questionable at best - driver shortages and removal of key operational staff have worsened an already bad situation.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: July 14, 2017, 11:31:28 »

At least it's not just our railway falling foul of technology problems...

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/how-did-single-computer-failure-take-out-whole-melbourne-rail-network-3185

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: July 14, 2017, 12:07:46 »

I don't think anyone would argue that it's been a terrible summer with a huge number of significant delays.  New signalling has been woefully unreliable, and whilst most of the problems have not been directly down to GWR (Great Western Railway), their response to the problems has been questionable at best - driver shortages and removal of key operational staff have worsened an already bad situation.

I went for the 0915 off Pangbourne (0835 from Oxford) for an optician appointment in Reading.  It didn’t show up of course – Pangbourne went for 75 minutes with no trains to Reading.  Is it really that difficult to turn trains round at Didcot to maintain something like a normal service towards Reading – probably not, but as II says (and as I said in another topic) GWR have removed the key staff who could perhaps have fixed this type of thing.

So lost optician’s appointment and had to rearrange for this afternoon.  And this is after I got caught at Padd on Wednesday evening and had to come back via Marylebone and XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) from Oxford.  Third time lucky this afternoon?
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 14, 2017, 13:07:05 »

Driver shortages?  Is this in reference to Sunday's or general. We are significantly overstaffed where I am to the point we don't require rest working to cover our jobs.
I think where we are short is in control, or that's the impression I've got over the past few meltdowns and that's based on a few things
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 14, 2017, 13:21:24 »

Driver shortages?  Is this in reference to Sunday's or general. We are significantly overstaffed where I am to the point we don't require rest working to cover our jobs.
I think where we are short is in control, or that's the impression I've got over the past few meltdowns and that's based on a few things

Sunday's in particular, but also Saturday's and more than you might regard as usual weekday services have recently been cancelled on some of the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) routes with driver shortages the reason cited.  I think establishment at the HSS (High Speed Services) depots is pretty healthy, but not so elsewhere given the amount of 387 training that's taking place.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 14, 2017, 15:13:52 »

Sunday's in particular, but also Saturday's and more than you might regard as usual weekday services have recently been cancelled on some of the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) routes with driver shortages the reason cited.  I think establishment at the HSS (High Speed Services) depots is pretty healthy, but not so elsewhere given the amount of 387 training that's taking place.

I thought at least one of our LTV depots will be significantly overstaffed, can't remember the number exactly, but I'm sure it was in excess of 40 drivers once training was completed. I know a lot have put in too transfer to HSS as we know our future is bleak once CrossRail takes over.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 14, 2017, 18:20:17 »

Let's be frank, the last few weeks have seen a rapid deterioration, performance wise as well as a PR (Public Relations) and Customer service disaster..........even leaving aside Weds/Thurs last week (still can't believe it took a week to decide they should be Void days but I'm inclined to believe Birdie's theory)...............

1) Huge amounts of short formations (apparently due to "more trains than usual needing repairs", when asked what the % was compared to the normal rate of trains needing repairs the response was "we don't have that information"),

2) Cancellations due to "staff shortages" now regularly affecting weekday services.
3) Tickets offices closed (when asked why, response is "we don't have that specific information")
4) Non operational TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) ("thanks for reporting this" - but several days later they are still not working)
5) The laughable advice to use the FGW (First Great Western).com email address for compensation, complaints and general enquiries, knowing replies will take weeks.
6) Twitter melting down faster than a chocolate signal when disruption kicks in.
7) The lack of sufficient staff/useful information available at Paddington and elsewhere during times of severe disruption
8 A total and utter lack of contingency planning - basically its "go to another station/use another TOC (Train Operating Company)" or you're pretty much on your own mate.
9) Non operational aircon on the hottest days of the year - probably a cost saving exercise if the truth was to be told.

.............and all this alongside the now familiar weekend cancellations for all the familiar reasons.

GWR (Great Western Railway)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) need to work hard to arrest the image of a Business in decline despite billions of £ of investment............"Building a Greater West" is now seen as a bit of a joke, and the attitude to customer service is frankly appalling.

Let's hope Hopwood et al have a Master plan for swift improvement..............one more "Manana Manana" type response and I will probably find him and insert a GWR whistle somewhere painful.........
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 14, 2017, 18:41:46 »

I'll give another example of the creeping rottenness that seems to be pervading at the moment; there are only two lifts from the main entrance at Reading (ie platform 7) to the transfer deck. One of these has been out of order for some time leading to long queues or people taking inappropriate items up the escalators. Last week when in the working lift with a member of GWR (Great Western Railway) staff assisting someone in a wheelchair I asked him if he knew when the other was going to be repaired. 'No' he replied (fair enough) but he continued 'we never do anything quickly or on time on the railway'. Maybe he thought he was making lighthearted banter, but it kind of sums up the summer on GWR.

[If anyone knows if the lift is back in service please, post since it was a few days ago.]
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 14, 2017, 19:39:07 »

I suspect a lot of the present decline in standards is what might be called "new train syndrome". It seems that they have become fixated by the idea that all will be wonderful when the trains come into use.

Completely ignoring the fact that new trains wont cure most of the present ills including
Lack of staff, both train crew and other grades at stations.
Fixing TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) in a timely fashion
Mending broken lifts at Reading and elsewhere promptly
Inability to provide information beyond "don't travel with us"
Taking weeks to respond to emails, and so on.

As is well known I am somewhat critical of the new trains, but I refer here NOT to the design of said trains, but the fact that everyone seems to believe that the new trains will in some magical way sweep away unrelated shortcomings and failures.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: July 15, 2017, 08:12:38 »

Slightly off topic I know but very much in context................68 short formations already listed today due to "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time".

This has seemed to be the case for several weeks now, can anyone "in the know" explain it? (GWR (Great Western Railway) Twitter is useless on the subject) - why are so many repairs necessary at the same time? Has there been a "Demolition Derby" at the depot?

(.......or could the shortages perhaps at least in part be due to a rather premature "cascade"?)  Wink
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:50 »

Slightly off topic I know but very much in context................68 short formations already listed today due to "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time".

This has seemed to be the case for several weeks now, can anyone "in the know" explain it? (GWR (Great Western Railway) Twitter is useless on the subject) - why are so many repairs necessary at the same time? Has there been a "Demolition Derby" at the depot?

(.......or could the shortages perhaps at least in part be due to a rather premature "cascade"?)  Wink

Not sure the cascade is premature might be the GWEP (Great Western Electrification Program) and traction unit cascade have not lined up as envisaged; I also believe some of the GWR Mk3 for the 5 car HST (High Speed Train) West Country trains have been sent for refurb (plug-in external doors retention toilets etc)

At least in the Thames Valley we are getting new trains and not the planned 319 or 365 cast off, a little pain in the short term and then you can look forward the church pew hard seats in the 387 or the generous standing space in the 345's

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 15, 2017, 09:03:07 »

Been reduced now as some units have come good. The 68 short forms makes it sound worse than it actually is. Generally speaking, they are short by about 3 to 5 units at the start of service across the company.
Why?  Don't exactly know but having units that are going through major exams and modifications doesn't help.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: