Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:16:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[72] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[67] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[66] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[59] Return of the BRUTE?
[41] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 304
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1244869 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:14 »

Cancellations to services between Maidenhead and London Paddington

Due to failure of the electricity supply between Maidenhead and London Paddington fewer trains are able to run on all lines.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 60 minutes. Disruption is expected until 11:15 17/04.
Customer Advice
The power to overhead electric lines has been lost between Paddington and Maidenhead. Customers may use available TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus and underground services where possible.

nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:56 »

2P11 (0547 Didcot-Paddington) ground to a halt on the Up Main just outside Twyford this morning causing a queue of trains back past Reading. It was there in the first place because the Up Relief was closed (?track defect). This pretty much finished off the morning peak service which doesn't seem to have recovered.

Looking forward to the journey home  Roll Eyes
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 17, 2018, 11:21:22 »

I gave up and went home and sounds like that was the right decision. Feel really sorry for people who don't have that option though from their employers.
nickswift99

View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 17, 2018, 13:24:23 »

And now this from JourneyCheck

Following an object being caught on the overhead electric wires between Reading and London Paddington some lines are now open.
Train services running to and from these stations will be delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 15:00 17/04.

Plastic sheeting has become caught in overhead cables in the Slough area. Technicians need to retrieve this, but until this can be take place (at approximately 13:00), stopping trains to/from Paddington will have to run at reduced speed.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: April 18, 2018, 14:21:32 »

Cancellations to services at Didcot Parkway

Due to a fault with the signalling system at Didcot Parkway fewer trains are able to run on all lines.

Train services running through this station may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 15:00 18/04.

Last Updated:18/04/2018 14:06

As always, hard to gauge the impact but the 13:22 Paddington to Great Malvern has lost 15 minutes between Cholsey and the Moreton Cutting.

[edit] - disruption now expected until 17:00
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 14:48:37 by charles_uk » Logged
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: April 18, 2018, 15:43:08 »

This has now been updated to read:

Due to a fault with the signalling system at Didcot Parkway fewer trains are able to run on all lines.
Impact:
Train services running through this station may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 17:00 18/04.
Customer Advice:
Road transport is being procured but due to school runs only a limited service is running.
Some trains running from Oxford to Reading will call at intermediate stations excluding Didcot Parkway. Customers travelling to Didcot from Oxford should circulate via Reading, or use what available Road Transport is in operation.
Additional Information:
GWR (Great Western Railway) tickets are being accepted between London Marylebone and Banbury/Oxford with Chiltern Railways, London Underground between Paddington and Marylebone, and with CrossCountry between Reading and Banbury.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: April 18, 2018, 16:51:05 »

Impact:
Train services running through this station may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 17:00 18/04.
Customer Advice:
Road transport is being procured but due to school runs only a limited service is running.
Some trains running from Oxford to Reading will call at intermediate stations excluding Didcot Parkway. Customers travelling to Didcot from Oxford should circulate via Reading, or use what available Road Transport is in operation.
Additional Information:
GWR (Great Western Railway) tickets are being accepted between London Marylebone and Banbury/Oxford with Chiltern Railways, London Underground between Paddington and Marylebone, and with CrossCountry between Reading and Banbury.

I was travelling from Oxford to Didcot and circulated via Reading; this wasn't a good idea as once I got to Reading there were no trains to Didcot and of course there is no other public transport from Reading to Didcot.
When I got to Reading the stopping services were cancelled and the first fast service diverted via Newbury, the 2nd they refused to stop at Didcot although it was stopping at Swindon. I caught the 3rd service which was a fast to Oxford which was changed to a slow to Oxford and was of course a crowded 166 with 'air conditioning' ie hot day so not working. It took me 2 hours to get from Oxford to Didcot in the end, they should have advised passengers to catch the bus to Didcot and I wish I had done that.
hassaanhc

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: April 18, 2018, 22:00:22 »

Impact:
Customer Advice:
Additional Information:

I was travelling from Oxford to Didcot and circulated via Reading; this wasn't a good idea as once I got to Reading there were no trains to Didcot and of course there is no other public transport from Reading to Didcot.
When I got to Reading the stopping services were cancelled and the first fast service diverted via Newbury, the 2nd they refused to stop at Didcot although it was stopping at Swindon. I caught the 3rd service which was a fast to Oxford which was changed to a slow to Oxford and was of course a crowded 166 with 'air conditioning' ie hot day so not working. It took me 2 hours to get from Oxford to Didcot in the end, they should have advised passengers to catch the bus to Didcot and I wish I had done that.

And that example is why I hate certain stations automatically being missed during loss of some lines between Paddington and Didcot Parkway. Always delay the local passengers by 30+ minutes just so their precious fast long distance trains are not delayed by even a single digit number of minutes, rather than trying to keep all the passengers moving in some way.

I was quite lucky back in January (the last time I was caught up in GWML (Great Western Main Line) disruption), as it was only a 30-40 minute delay for me. The usual 6tph at Southall had gone down to 2tph (as Heathrow Connect and GWR Hayes & Harlington shorts were cancelled). Then one of the trains actually running skipped the station at 7 minutes late with no warning at all, just to prevent delaying a Heathrow Express train Angry . The following train was on time and luckily it actually stopped on the Up Main, with a really good TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail station staff member managing to convince the driver to wait for everyone to get over the footbridge. I'm lucky I can easily take a different route in disruption, and really feel for everyone who has to wait an unknown amount of time because their station is not considered important enough (including a station with over 2.5 million passengers per year in my case...)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: April 18, 2018, 22:32:53 »

I caught the 3rd service which was a fast to Oxford which was changed to a slow to Oxford and was of course a crowded 166 with 'air conditioning' ie hot day so not working. It took me 2 hours to get from Oxford to Didcot in the end, they should have advised passengers to catch the bus to Didcot and I wish I had done that.

You were on the same one as me then - I came back from Bury St Edmunds and everything was perfect, on time, working aircon, no issues at all. Then got to Reading and they suddenly changed to Not In Service (no announcements) - couple of us got off and found the driver and he had no idea what was going on, just been told to go to the depot.

I went and stood at the staff display watching one train after another queuing up at the signals on the main and relief lines towards Didcot. From the recent post about headcodes on here, I could tell they were all the highspeed services as they were all 1XXX, I think there was a 5XXX and a 6XXX (freight)?

So yet again the high speed services (which couldn't go anywhere) were given priority at the expense of the locals (who would have been stopping anyway) who all got dumped in the depot.

Then comes the announcement for all local station passengers to make their way from platform 12 to platform 8/9 where there was a cross country to Manchester (I think) sitting there going no where, then all of a sudden another announcement for us all to run back to platform 12.

Eventually did the last 15 minutes of my 4 hour trip in 90 minutes. Welcome home.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: April 19, 2018, 07:43:03 »

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Reading and Didcot Parkway fewer trains are able to run on the line towards Didcot Parkway.
Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 11:00 19/04.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: April 19, 2018, 10:20:31 »

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Reading and Didcot Parkway fewer trains are able to run on the line towards Didcot Parkway.
Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 11:00 19/04.

Disruption now expected until 13:00

plus

Cancellations to services between Didcot Parkway and Oxford

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Didcot Parkway and Oxford fewer trains are able to run on all lines.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 10:30 19/04.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: April 19, 2018, 11:28:01 »

Impact:

Disruption now expected until 13:00

plus

Cancellations to services between Didcot Parkway and Oxford

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Didcot Parkway and Oxford fewer trains are able to run on all lines.

Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 10:30 19/04.

This looks worse than yesterday as the following services  from Oxford to Didcot Parkway have been cancelled:

0937, 1005, 1037, 1107 and 1137 so assuming the 1207 runs then that is no service for 3 hours.

Nothing on gwr.com or twitter about what passengers should do?
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: April 19, 2018, 13:45:58 »

Disruption between Didcot and Oxford now expected until 14:30 but seems to be extended by an hour every hour.

The problems between Reading and Didcot are back:

Cancellations to services between Reading and Didcot Parkway

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Reading and Didcot Parkway:

Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 15:00 19/04.

And now, because it's a warm day:

Delays to services between Slough and London Paddington

Due to a speed restriction because of high track temperatures between Slough and London Paddington trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines towards London Paddington.

Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 18:30 19/04.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: April 19, 2018, 14:08:19 »

Normal working resumed at 13:46 so after reactionary delays are recovered all should be fine shortly - certainly well in time for the afternoon peak.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
hassaanhc

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: April 19, 2018, 19:58:22 »

Yet more issues Roll Eyes Angry

Delays to services between Slough and London Paddington
Due to a fault with the signalling system between Slough and London Paddington trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines towards London Paddington.
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 22:00 19/04.
Last Updated:19/04/2018 19:25

Delays to services between Dorking Deepdene and Redhill
Due to a fault with barriers at a level crossing between Dorking Deepdene and Redhill trains have to run at reduced speed on all lines.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 20 minutes. Disruption is expected until 21:30 19/04.
Last Updated:19/04/2018 19:25
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 304
  Print  

Jump to: