Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 04:53:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1244080 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: May 22, 2018, 08:14:33 »

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and Maidenhead some lines towards Reading are blocked.
Impact:
 Customers at Taplow and Burnham travelling to stations to Reading are advised to travel to Slough and travel back.

Since virtually every service in both directions is cancelled until (as I write this) the 0948, that's not really terribly helpful. Taxi for me, bill to GWR (Great Western Railway).
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: May 22, 2018, 08:22:14 »

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and Maidenhead some lines towards Reading are blocked.
Impact:
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 15 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 09:00 22/05.
Customer Advice:
Due to overhead line damage between Slough and Maidenhead, trains are unable call at Taplow and Burnham on the line towards Reading. Customers travelling to Taplow and Burnham are advised to alight at Maidenhead and travel back. Customers at Taplow and Burnham travelling to stations to Reading are advised to travel to Slough and travel back.

Overhead line section has tripped and will not reset. Cause unknown.  An inspection team commenced walking the 4 mile section to try and locate the issue at 0700. Will take about 2 hours to walk it.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: May 22, 2018, 08:30:38 »

Impact:
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 15 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 09:00 22/05.
Customer Advice:
Due to overhead line damage between Slough and Maidenhead, trains are unable call at Taplow and Burnham on the line towards Reading. Customers travelling to Taplow and Burnham are advised to alight at Maidenhead and travel back. Customers at Taplow and Burnham travelling to stations to Reading are advised to travel to Slough and travel back.

Overhead line section has tripped and will not reset. Cause unknown.  An inspection team commenced walking the 4 mile section to try and locate the issue at 0700. Will take about 2 hours to walk it.

Well, they've got a nice morning for it anyway.

Welcome to the brave new world of electrification!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: May 22, 2018, 08:56:29 »

I went down to the station at Maidenhead as usual earlier. I'm back home now. Very few trains were running and the two I saw leave in the half hour I was there were very crowded..I decided I didn't want to join in with the "fun" today.. There was also very little information..
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: May 22, 2018, 08:57:42 »

Nothing stopping in either direction at Burnham or Taplow until after 1030 is the latest update.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: May 22, 2018, 09:20:15 »

Now 3pm. Not good.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: May 22, 2018, 09:40:59 »

Now 3pm. Not good.

Issue with an insulator. Quite a big job that is difficult to fix during the day as they need to get machinery out to the area which is hard when trains are still running.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: May 22, 2018, 09:47:25 »

Issue with an insulator.

Well at least it'll still be under warranty...  Roll Eyes
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:07 »

Now 3pm. Not good.

GWR (Great Western Railway) help to a Burnham customer......"Network Rail expect to have it fixed by tomorrow".

Doesn't bode well for the rest of today.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:38 »

Whilst any reasonable passenger would understand that things break, and that disruption will occur in such circumstances, OverHead-Line Equipment (OHLE) failures do seem to be unduly frequent and not resulting in the more reliable railway that is still being advertised.

As in other cases, I would ask "what happens overseas ?" I have no doubt that German and French railways have OverHead-Line Equipment (OHLE) failures, but I rather doubt that they are as frequent as in the UK (United Kingdom).

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 16:04:29 by VickiS » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 22, 2018, 11:28:52 »

Now 3pm. Not good.

My decision to not travel into London when I saw the chaos was a good one then! Could be a repeat performance this evening at this rate..
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: May 22, 2018, 11:30:17 »

End of the day now!

From Journeycheck:

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and Maidenhead some lines will be blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. All stations between Slough and Maidenhead will not be served. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: May 22, 2018, 11:34:21 »

End of the day now!

From Journeycheck:

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and Maidenhead some lines will be blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. All stations between Slough and Maidenhead will not be served. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

The relief lines are expected to close between 1130 and 1500.  The up main towards London will be blocked to electric traction only and will be running at reduced speed, basically signal to signal to protect engineers working.

Stopping services will run as 8-car electrics from Padd to Slough.
In the other direction, services will terminate at Maidenhead.
Buses ordered between Slough and Maidenhead
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:42:37 by a-driver » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: May 22, 2018, 13:51:58 »

The latest update on journey check making it very clear who is responsible:

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Slough and Maidenhead some lines are closed.

Customer Advice
Network Rail, who own the railway infrastructure, and are responsible for its upkeep, are currently fixing the damaged overhead cables in the Maidenhead area. As a consequence, the train service between Reading and Paddington is severely depleted, and has been reduced to a shuttle service between Reading and Maidenhead, and also between Slough and London Paddington. The stations between Slough and Maidenhead can only be served by local buses.
First Bus route 13: Slough (Bus Station Bay 12) Burnham (Station), First Bus route 4: Maidenhead (Town Centre Stop S2) - Taplow (Bath Rd) - Burnham (Everitts Corner) - Slough (Bus Station Bay 4) and London Buses are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice. Arrangements have been made for Great Western Railway rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys. TfL» (Transport for London - about) London Buses: are accepting tickets on any reasonable route between Slough and Central London.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: May 22, 2018, 14:05:38 »

Whilst any reasonable passenger would understand that things break, and that disruption will occur in such circumstances, OHLE failures do seem to be unduly frequent and not resulting in the more reliable railway that is still being advertised.

As in other cases, I would ask "what happens overseas ?" I have no doubt that German and French railways have OHLE failures, but I rather doubt that they are as frequent as in the UK (United Kingdom).

I would say this is the first ‘major’ incident of the newly electrified sections, so overall reliability has been good.  Had this sort of thing happened once a week since last summer I could sympathise with your views.

I doubt many folk in Germany and France will get to hear about this particular incident, so, as Stuving suggested a few months ago, just because you don’t hear about it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: