Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:02:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243712 times)
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: October 18, 2018, 23:47:49 »

But it was going at way more than 20mph which would be the maximum speed to pan up at that location.

It was, but not the widely publicised 105mph. Closer to half that.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: October 19, 2018, 18:16:34 »

There's also some contention over the speed the train was running at. Could an 802 have reached 105mph on diesel by the time it was at the incident location?

Whether it could or not, it hadn’t reached 105mph.

I've been miss quoted!!!!!

Edit - looks like there have indeed been some quoting errors - which I have tried to fix - Grahame
(Goodness only knows if I have got them right now - but at least I have planted a flag of caution for future readers!

Thanks Graham  Grin

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 18:54:19 by Electric train » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: October 28, 2018, 13:10:21 »

Here we go again.......

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Slough
Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between London Paddington and Slough all lines are blocked.
Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 18:00 28/10.
Customer Advice:
Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between London Paddington and Reading all lines are closed.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice
Since around 11:30am Sunday morning,virtually no train service has been able to operate between London Paddington and Reading in either direction owing to the damage to the overhead wires. This has led to widespread disruption with trains initially stranded in various.

The position this afternoon is that all lines remain closed between London Paddington and Slough
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: October 28, 2018, 13:13:44 »

Reports of some passengers taking it upon themselves to operate emergency door releases and spilling out onto the track near Ladbroke Grove.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: October 28, 2018, 13:45:58 »

Not going to help the situation that one option for those travelling to the SW today isn’t easily available in that Waterloo to Exeter services are starting/terminating at Basingstoke due to engineering work in the Woking area.

My wife was due to travel home from London this afternoon but we’ve decided she is better off staying put and travel tomorrow. Someone reporting on uk Rail Forums that Waterloo is already busy with those arriving from Paddington.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: October 28, 2018, 13:48:33 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) now reporting signalling problems at Bristol Parkway now. For those who have to travel this afternoon I wish you all the best, it’s not looking good.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: October 28, 2018, 13:50:42 »

Not going to help the situation that one option for those travelling to the SW today isn’t easily available in that Waterloo to Exeter services are starting/terminating at Basingstoke due to engineering work in the Woking area.

Someone needs to tell GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Journeycheck team. It's currently saying
Customers travelling to destinations in Devon and Cornwall are advised to travel via London Waterloo either to Reading or via Salisbury to interchange with West Country services at Exeter St Davids.
An update will follow within the next 2 hours.
Last Updated:28/10/2018 13:41
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: October 28, 2018, 13:57:52 »

Someone needs to tell GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Journeycheck team. It's currently saying
Customers travelling to destinations in Devon and Cornwall are advised to travel via London Waterloo either to Reading or via Salisbury to interchange with West Country services at Exeter St Davids.
An update will follow within the next 2 hours.
Last Updated:28/10/2018 13:41
Agree, though technically speaking you can but need to change at either Guildford for a bus or change at Reading for a train to Basingstoke by which time you are better off staying at Reading in the hope of a GWR service to the SW showing up.
Wilf19

View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: October 28, 2018, 14:05:18 »

I'm supposed to be flying from London City this evening. I saw the disruption warning on the National Rail app and decided to catch a much earlier Taunton - Paddington train. Currently on the 13:15 Taunton to Paddington train and - so far - no announcement has been made about the disruption beyond Reading.

Just left Westbury, next stop Reading. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Of this would be the one trip I take from City rather than Bristol or Heathrow.  :-(

Fingers crossed!

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: October 28, 2018, 14:08:37 »

I'm supposed to be flying from London City this evening. I saw the disruption warning on the National Rail app and decided to catch a much earlier Taunton - Paddington train. Currently on the 13:15 Taunton to Paddington train and - so far - no announcement has been made about the disruption beyond Reading.

Just left Westbury, next stop Reading. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Of this would be the one trip I take from City rather than Bristol or Heathrow.  :-(

Fingers crossed!
Wishing you all the best Wilf19. Almost certain your train will terminate at Reading. Head over to the Platforms for the service to Waterloo. Let us know how it goes.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: October 28, 2018, 14:17:57 »

Fingers crossed!
Wishing you all the best Wilf19. Almost certain your train will terminate at Reading. Head over to the Platforms for the service to Waterloo. Let us know how it goes.

14:51 arriving 16:23 at Waterloo or 15:21 arriving 16:59.

Or you could try 15:11 XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to Oxford, change to 15:41 Chiltern to Marylebone arriving at 16:51 if the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) services are too packed - though they're both 10-cars which is good news.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Wilf19

View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: October 28, 2018, 14:29:09 »

Thanks for the info,  I'm ready to be quick off the mark at Reading.  When I saw the issue I caught a train 2 hours earlier than I originally planned and - me being me - I had already allowed a lot of slack in case of problems. My flight isn't until 8pm so I should make it one way or another but that could be tempting fate!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: October 28, 2018, 14:30:57 »

Twitter video of HEx passengers being evacuated onto the track and having to walk with their luggage to (I think) West Ealing:

https://twitter.com/SimonAnthonyR/status/1056546870540034048
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: October 28, 2018, 14:35:48 »

Twitter video of HEx passengers being evacuated onto the track and having to walk with their luggage to (I think) West Ealing:

https://twitter.com/SimonAnthonyR/status/1056546870540034048

I really hope this isn’t the future of travelling in and out of Paddington that these two incidences last week and again today aren’t connected.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: October 28, 2018, 14:55:38 »

I really hope this isn’t the future of travelling in and out of Paddington that these two incidences last week and again today aren’t connected.

Now I'd say that if these two incidents have a common cause, that's less of a problem - if the cause can be found and fixed. If there are two independent causes, that means two causes to find which must be harder.

Of course the second one is probably a "normal" wire break, due to wear. That's worrying as condition monitoring ought to prevent it, but no doubt there's always a residual level of failures below which it will never go, and if this is one of those it's not a new thing to worry about.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: