Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 17:12:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[273] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[84] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[36] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[7] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1255231 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: October 28, 2018, 17:18:49 »

Looks like trains are now getting through yet GWhelp are still advising people use Waterloo services.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: October 28, 2018, 17:26:27 »

Yes, another very poor performance.

With this sort of thing likely to be a regular feature, there really needs to be some better contingency plans for when the wires come down.
1) require that ALL new AC electric trains have a standby energy source, either batteries or a small diesel engine.
2) provide a better walkway in the cess on busier routes to facilitate walking with luggage when this happens.
3) When GWR (Great Western Railway) services are SNAFU (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up (I have toned down the F word)), run extra trains from Reading to Waterloo.

Look at ways to speed up giving the authority to pass signals at danger.
For example wires down or other c0ck up, train stuck in platform.
Let passengers off, then get authority to pass signal at danger at WALKING SPEED so as to just clear the platform.
The following train that would otherwise be held at the preceding signal, can then be given permission to pull forward, unload passengers in the platform.

This would only be readily applicable on plain line, but could allow up to 3 trains to be unloaded at each platform instead of just one.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: October 28, 2018, 18:02:35 »

It doesn't help on a Sunday having a two track railway due to engineering work (for both maintenance and renewals).  Don't know how you could easily solve that one.

Lets hope that the work to upgrade the existing headspan areas gets more priority (and funding).
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: October 28, 2018, 18:24:00 »

Copied from GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey Check just now

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires earlier today between Cheltenham Spa and Swindon fewer trains are able to run.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: October 28, 2018, 18:27:03 »

Copied from GWR (Great Western Railway) Journey Check just now

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires earlier today between Cheltenham Spa and Swindon fewer trains are able to run.

Didn't realise that there were overhead electric wires between Cheltenham Spa and Swindon  Wink
Puffing Billy

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: October 28, 2018, 19:15:54 »

The information desk at Reading was conspicuously empty around 1300 today. In addition, the display boards are quite unhelpful when  it comes to anything other than a specific delay or cancellation. Could not the "Delayed" indication be followed by an optional line to say e.g. "Delayed between XXXX and XXXX"? Seeing the 1335 to Taunton "delayed", I assumed it had been stuck in the affected location and therefore might not arrive for hours, so I made the snap decision to make a beeline for the 1309 Swansea service and got reasonable connections at Swindon and Bristol TM(resolve). But they must have known sometime in advance that the train was not coming from London in the first place and instead would be started from Reading, so it would be helpful if they could say so.
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #3066 on: October 28, 2018, 19:24:19 »

Is the head span system due to be replaced? The 2 track issue goes back to my previous post about when will PAX be expecting to see a weekend without renewal or maintenance work going on?

It doesn't help on a Sunday having a two track railway due to engineering work (for both maintenance and renewals).  Don't know how you could easily solve that one.

Lets hope that the work to upgrade the existing headspan areas gets more priority (and funding).
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: October 28, 2018, 19:26:17 »

They are wide in comparison to the old Platforms 4a and 4b (especially at the far ends), with a reduction of clutter on the platform, such as vending machinges, which is what I was getting at.  They also have a much larger waiting area at the concourse end - the Twitter photo shows that being used to good effect.  Much better.

As someone who uses these platforms almost daily during the week to commute, and have done so since 2001, I am not impressed. "Less clutter" means fewer seats -actually now benches - and an inadequate roof that's too high to provide shelter.

The former adequate platform signage was replaced by new smaller dot-matrix signs that are so far apart that even my quite good distance vision struggles to read when on much of the platform, compounded by the ones at the inner ends being half hidden behind a transverse beam, with the added problem that the curve on platform 5 means you cannot even see all the width of the half-hidden screen.

Yes, there is a little more room at the inner end of the platforms, but this doesn't seem to done much to alleviate the crush shown in the pictures of today's problems.

When the reconstruction was underway, a member of staff told me not to worry, once the project was complete Gatwick trains would depart from the main platforms, which bearing in mind that we the taxpayers kindly spent (I guess) £100,000s on reopening the underpass seemed credible. However, we end up with those the industry is (presumably) trying to encourage to use this service having to struggle all the way down the length of platform 7 with their luggage, and if they have the misfortune to have a platform 4 departure experiencing the problem referred to in my last post. Even if they have a platform 5 or 6 departure, until recently early evening departures were often on a Turbo parked behind another adding further to the distance the poor traveler had to haul their luggage.

Sadly, these are just some of the poorly thought out (from the passenger's point of view) ergonomic details that spoil the experience of using the new station, taking the edge off a project that was completed on time and within budget in a very challenging location. Perhaps there's a new thread looming here - Improving the Reading experience? - where issues such as the dreadful signage and inconvenient platform allocation and use, could be aired!

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: October 28, 2018, 21:24:50 »

All through the 90's and 00's I travelled daily under the HEx wires and can't recall them ever coming down. Headspans seemed to work fine when competently maintained within their performance envelope.

What are they poking up into the Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) these days?

OTC

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying acronyms
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 14:45:47 by VickiS » Logged
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: October 28, 2018, 22:01:04 »

All through the 90's and 00's I travelled daily under the HEx wires and can't recall them ever coming down. Headspans seemed to work fine when competently maintained within their performance envelope.

What are they poking up into the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") these days?

OTC

A 387 today.......   
 For years the wires only had light use, now the 387’s and 800’s are causing a significant increase in wear and tear.
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: October 28, 2018, 22:45:57 »

Not surprised the staff disappear when anything goes wrong, their managing director is leading from the front in this respect... Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: October 28, 2018, 22:55:03 »

As someone who uses these platforms almost daily during the week to commute, and have done so since 2001, I am not impressed. "Less clutter" means fewer seats -actually now benches - and an inadequate roof that's too high to provide shelter.

Yes, there is a little more room at the inner end of the platforms, but this doesn't seem to done much to alleviate the crush shown in the pictures of today's problems.

I take your points about signage and so on, but the following two photos show the much better passenger flow that is now achieved - as you say a few benches have since been added, but nothing like the clutter that was there before with vending machines, trolley stacks and awkwardly placed seating (as well as, not in the picture, the old ticket check booth which got right in the way with everyone having to funnel into almost single file).  And the canopy was doubled in length, even if maybe not the perfect design.  I dread to think how 4a and 4b as was would have managed with today's number of passengers.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: October 29, 2018, 05:50:48 »

Not surprised the staff disappear when anything goes wrong, their managing director is leading from the front in this respect... Roll Eyes

…….but surely in order to disappear, firstly you have to appear?  Wink
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: October 29, 2018, 07:52:58 »

I take your points about signage and so on, but the following two photos show the much better passenger flow that is now achieved - as you say a few benches have since been added, but nothing like the clutter that was there before with vending machines, trolley stacks and awkwardly placed seating (as well as, not in the picture, the old ticket check booth which got right in the way with everyone having to funnel into almost single file).  And the canopy was doubled in length, even if maybe not the perfect design.  I dread to think how 4a and 4b as was would have managed with today's number of passengers.

Yes.  And before that the single, very exposed and narrow Platform 4A.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: October 29, 2018, 12:52:07 »

What are they poking up into the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") these days?
OTC

Exploding pigeons ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: