10:03 London Paddington to Penzance
11:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 14:10:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[279] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[220] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[109] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[37] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[33] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[16] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1256485 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: November 28, 2018, 18:22:24 »

Yes, clearly the high cost of putting in trap points is justified by mitigating the potential consequences of a SPAD (Signal Passed At Danger).  However, it may be that only a modest cost is involved in, say, moving the cable troughs a few metres.   And at Padd was there really no other option than to locate the trap points and OHLE mast (I don't know which was there first) such that the low speed SPAD in P1A by the ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) Turbo a couple of years ago brought down half the wires and caused huge disruption?

With new installations/schemes there may be no or minimal costs involved in keeping S&T (Signalling and Telegraph) and OHLE clear of trap points.

Not always that simple, the moving of it may but it closer to an open main running line and putting staff at risk when maintaining it or mean blocking the line to maintain it

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: November 30, 2018, 17:29:50 »

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between West Drayton and Slough trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines towards Slough.
Impact:
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 18:15 30/11.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: November 30, 2018, 17:53:49 »

It seems the down main is closed in the affected section. I'm crawling along the relief on 1W02, at least since the Ealing area to Slough.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3123 on: November 30, 2018, 18:31:36 »

It seems the down main is closed in the affected section. I'm crawling along the relief on 1W02, at least since the Ealing area to Slough.

Yeah ... on 1B69.  17:45 off Paddington then crawl and wrong line.  Currently 12 minutes late and with a 5 minute 'connection' at Swindon for Melksham - arrive 18:43 leave 18:48.    Me thinks I may be stuck there until after 8 O'Clock ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: November 30, 2018, 18:39:44 »

Down main was open, but restricted to 20mph for electric trains (linespeed for diesel) unti examination has taken place.  Problem caused by an ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) (Automatic Dropping Device) activation on a Paddington-Swansea train, so might be spurious rather than any actual damage, but obviously needs to be checked and a line block has been taken whilst that is undertaken.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3125 on: November 30, 2018, 19:17:50 »

Yeah ... on 1B69.  17:45 off Paddington then crawl and wrong line.  Currently 12 minutes late and with a 5 minute 'connection' at Swindon for Melksham - arrive 18:43 leave 18:48.    Me thinks I may be stuck there until after 8 O'Clock ...

Yep ... missed by a few minutes ... especially irritating because the 18:48 sits as Westbury for 10 minutes, and is timed for 75 mph stock I believe, but running with 90 m.p.h. stock.   Wouldn't have got in the way of the Bristolian tonight as that's 10 minutes late too ...

If 5 minute connections at Swindon drop like flies ... perhaps it's time to allow longer there for connections.  Or time to make the incoming trains a bit more punctual  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: November 30, 2018, 22:31:48 »

Yep ... missed by a few minutes ... especially irritating because the 18:48 sits as Westbury for 10 minutes, and is timed for 75 mph stock I believe, but running with 90 m.p.h. stock.   Wouldn't have got in the way of the Bristolian tonight as that's 10 minutes late too ...

If 5 minute connections at Swindon drop like flies ... perhaps it's time to allow longer there for connections.  Or time to make the incoming trains a bit more punctual  Grin

Just out of interest, what do you do Graham, when you have a lengthy wait for your next train? Find a pub? Watch a film? Play football with other passengers? something else?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3127 on: November 30, 2018, 22:48:13 »

Just out of interest, what do you do Graham, when you have a lengthy wait for your next rain? Find a pub? Watch a film? Play football with other passengers? something else?

My laptop is my mobile office.   You will find a post tomorrow that was written on the ffreezing platform at Chippenham tonight (I split the wait between Swindon and Chippenham).   And a good chance to think, chat, look around in research.

What's a "pub"?  Grin

Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: December 01, 2018, 12:34:15 »

Just out of interest, what do you do Graham, when you have a lengthy wait for your next rain? Find a pub? Watch a film? Play football with other passengers? something else?

My laptop is my mobile office.   You will find a post tomorrow that was written on the ffreezing platform at Chippenham tonight (I split the wait between Swindon and Chippenham).   And a good chance to think, chat, look around in research.

What's a "pub"?  Grin

Why freeze? could you not have used a waiting room.

Now a sensible question?, If a contractor damages signalling equipment not part of the job they are doing, then I assume Network Rail bills them for it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:54:08 by Dispatch Box » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3129 on: December 01, 2018, 15:45:50 »

Well ...

Long wait on Chippenham Station. As it got colder, the gate line staff went off duty leaving the station unmanned, and asked me to leave the warmth of the waiting room so they could lock it up.   Ironic situation that the waiting room is closed at the colder time of day and when the gaps between trains are longer, isn't it?

I took the view that standing my ground and creating a scene wasn't appropriate.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 01, 2018, 17:49:49 »

In my opinion Chippenham should not be left un-staffed that early in the evening, particularly on a Friday

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: December 01, 2018, 19:22:22 »

Well ...

Long wait on Chippenham Station. As it got colder, the gate line staff went off duty leaving the station unmanned, and asked me to leave the warmth of the waiting room so they could lock it up.   Ironic situation that the waiting room is closed at the colder time of day and when the gaps between trains are longer, isn't it?

I took the view that standing my ground and creating a scene wasn't appropriate.

I Took the view that Chippenham was a large important station and would have dispatch staff present, so waiting rooms would be open until midnight.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3132 on: December 02, 2018, 07:09:05 »

In my opinion Chippenham should not be left un-staffed that early in the evening, particularly on a Friday

I Took the view that Chippenham was a large important station and would have dispatch staff present, so waiting rooms would be open until midnight.

Follow up at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20776.0 - that's a new thread for "Transport Scholars" only as I want to avoid raising concerns in public when someone "in the know" may be able to re-assure me that I should not be concerned.

Transport Scholars is open and available to any member of the forum on request.  We discuss things there at a deeper and hopefully dispassionate level.   Post volume is not high there, but the quality of the discussions is very high.  If you are a member not in that area, but would like to be, please ask me via personal message or email.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 02, 2018, 07:55:12 »

Now a sensible question?, If a contractor damages signalling equipment not part of the job they are doing, then I assume Network Rail bills them for it.

Basically yes, although like all claims if a contractor denies they caused the fault it can get very contractual.  Its not usually the first tier, principle contractor, that causes problems but the second or third tier sub contractors, although the first tier is the one that holds the liability with NR» (Network Rail - home page)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: December 03, 2018, 13:47:08 »

Basically yes, although like all claims if a contractor denies they caused the fault it can get very contractual.  Its not usually the first tier, principle contractor, that causes problems but the second or third tier sub contractors, although the first tier is the one that holds the liability with NR» (Network Rail - home page)

Thanks for the reply. Making me mad at the moment is those sticky things on the top of Tetley tea bags, they never seem to stick again. So if a firm does that they do get billed.
I Don't suppose there is anything signal related that costs 4.99.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: