Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
17:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
16:13 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:48 Exeter St Davids to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:00:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1253843 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3150 on: December 29, 2018, 08:30:50 »

Though, for me, the word 'circulate' is a bit of a silly one to give to passengers.

I agree with the sense in having passengers  go through and return to get to their station when it's only open / there's only a train calling in one direction.  As well as at times of stress to the system (where the platform one direction is closed), it's allowed routinely under easements of routing for places where it makes journeys more practical - see via http://data.atoc.org/routeing-guide and search the easement list for places like Dilton Marsh and Pilning.

But I struggle with what to call this for the public.    I too have some disquiet at the word "circulate". I too imagine passengers dressing finely and partaking of a cheese and wine party on the transfer bridge at Reading, mixing with GWR (Great Western Railway) and Network Rail managers as they make an unexpected stop on their way home from London to Slough.    But all very easy to criticise - but what wording would be better??

"Divert via" ... does not indicate the passage through the target station during the round(dish) trip, and I think there's a need for the passenger to be aware this will happen - otherwise the passenger will get concerned and may pull the emergency chain (or whatever it has been replaced with.

"Circulate via" ... see my comments above

"Reflect at" ... oh dear -  Grin - I can imagine the idea relaxation classes, meditation groups ....

"passing through your planned destination to come back the other way" ... too long for short messages and CIS (Customer Information System) screens

"Double Back at" is the wording used in the routing guide.   To me that's good, clear enough, and strikes me as a positive change from "circulate" - but would it be understood by the public?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: December 29, 2018, 08:55:52 »

Perhaps "Travel via ..."
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3152 on: December 29, 2018, 09:00:30 »

Perhaps "Travel via ..."

I have the same concern as with "divert via" ...
"Divert via" ... does not indicate the passage through the target station during the round(dish) trip, and I think there's a need for the passenger to be aware this will happen - otherwise the passenger will get concerned and may pull the emergency chain (or whatever it has been replaced with.
... but what do others think?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 29, 2018, 09:25:56 »

Perhaps "Travel via ..."

"Travel via" is simplest, but doesn't quite work if you are not changing your route - for example having to go to change partway because no trains are currently stopping at your origin and destination. "Travel to xxx and change" is likely to cover most cases, and I'm sure I've heard it in the past. "Change" can be expanded to something explicit if need be.
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3154 on: December 29, 2018, 16:59:01 »

“Travel via and return to...........”
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3155 on: December 29, 2018, 18:56:15 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the French use "circuler" where we'd use "travel" (as in "passengers must travel via...") but also "run" ("no trains will run..."). I wonder if "circulate" is an inadvertent Gallicism?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 30, 2018, 01:30:52 »

Problem solved - teach everybody French, and then there will be no confusion! Simples!

C’est magnifique, mais ce n’est pas la gare.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 30, 2018, 02:33:04 »

Here's a French primer for an alternative transport to rail.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 30, 2018, 13:10:25 »

For some reason, All of the Cheltenham Spa trains to London Paddington have been cancelled, they are all terminating in Plat 1 at Swindon, and been replaced with a H.S.T.  set, No I.E.T. Sets, yet all other trains to London appear to be running.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 30, 2018, 15:26:32 »

No trains to London (Paddington) are running today.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 30, 2018, 18:47:01 »

Priceless!

Other helpful French phrases include:
Avant garde - equivalent to DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) here.

Now, please!
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 30, 2018, 20:24:12 »

Priceless!

Other helpful French phrases include:
Avant garde - equivalent to DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) here.

This thread is getting like a version of 'I haven't a clue'.  Can we play Mornington Crescent across the GWR (Great Western Railway) network?
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 30, 2018, 20:36:03 »

Yes lets get back to reporting problems in the thames valley, now everyones ready to go back to work ,college.

EDIT: Typos.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 22:36:37 by Dispatch Box » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 30, 2018, 20:38:07 »

I am no longer at colledge, having acquired sufficient knowlege.

Now, please!
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 30, 2018, 20:45:47 »

I am no longer at college, having acquired sufficient knowlege.

Just refered to peoples everyday lives I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 22:37:11 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: