Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 23:02:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1255381 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3180 on: January 24, 2019, 07:28:17 »

Alterations to services at Langley

Due to a fault with the signalling system at Langley some lines towards Reading bound local stopping are disrupted.
Train services running through this station may be delayed or running non stop between Ealing Broadway and Slough. Disruption is expected until 08:15 24/01
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:32 »

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Reading

Due to a fault with the signalling system between London Paddington and Reading all lines are closed.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 60 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until 12:30 24/01.

Last Updated:24/01/2019 10:53
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3182 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:48 »

Been looking at Open train times and Realtime trains looks bad trains stuck at Platforms.

711W 0716 Merehead Quarry to Acton T.C.  Went through platform 5 at Maidenhead and Platform 4 at Slough 
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: January 24, 2019, 11:20:33 »

Several cancellations of up trains are attributed as "due to a power supply failure (XK)", where XK is in the list of "EXTERNAL EVENTS - NETWORK RAIL: These codes cover events considered to be outside the control of the Rail Industry, but normally attributable to Network Rail under the Track Access Performance Regime".

XK   External Power Supply Failure Network Rail Infrastructure   

I assume that means failure of external power feeding Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)), not failure of Network Rail (NR) infrastructure handling external power!

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying acronyms
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 14:30:21 by VickiS » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: January 24, 2019, 11:29:06 »

Several cancellations of up trains are attributed as "due to a power supply failure (XK)", where XK is in the list of "EXTERNAL EVENTS - NETWORK RAIL: These codes cover events considered to be outside the control of the Rail Industry, but normally attributable to Network Rail under the Track Access Performance Regime".

XK   External Power Supply Failure Network Rail Infrastructure   

I assume that means failure of external power feeding NR» (Network Rail - home page), not failure of NR infrastructure handling external power!

Looks to be correct.  Information received that SSE(resolve) are suspected of striking an external cable according to TyrellCheck.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: January 24, 2019, 12:13:38 »

Disruption period now extended:

Disruption is expected until 15:00 24/01
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: January 24, 2019, 12:53:05 »

Disruption period now extended:

Disruption is expected until 15:00 24/01

Power to signalling restored at 12:25, so trains now able to run again.  Will take a few hours for everything to get back into position of course, but evening peak should be largely unaffected.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: January 24, 2019, 16:57:50 »

Unusual for a provincial squirrel to get caught up in this kind of thing, but today I did!

I arrived at Paddington in very good time for the 12.45 to Bristol Parkway, to be told that it could be 4-5 hours before trains were running and my best bet was to nip across to Waterloo and get to Reading that way; all tickets (I had an Advance single) would be honoured. At Waterloo I was waved through onto Platform 21; this was all rather exciting for me as I'd not seen the old International Terminal from the inside before. The bloke on the gateline pointed out that it would take an hour an twenty minutes to get to Reading on this train, but I was rather invested in this option by now and in any case that sounded better than several hours at Paddington, so I pressed on. I will admit that by the time I got to Martins Heron the novelty of this route to Reading was starting to wear thin...

We rolled into Platform 6 at Reading just before 13.12, which coincidentally was the same time that the Bristol Parkway train was due to leave. I'm not good at running, so I sort of half-heartedly hastened over to Platform 14 fully expecting to see my train pull out (or at least lock its doors), but someone made a very sensible decision and held it for five or so minutes, this allowing a large number of people time to get on. Full marks to GWR (Great Western Railway) for doing the right thing!

The Train Manager reassured us that we'd make up at least some of this time by Swindon, but near Didcot we slowed right down and reverted to diesel power, ambling most of the way to Swindon and adding seven minutes to the deficit. I changed at Parkway, catching a slightly late Weymouth train to Stapleton Road, where I crossed over for the Avonmouth train, which, I am delighted to say, was bang on time!

All in all, I was left with the impression that railway staff dealt with a difficult situation very well.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: January 24, 2019, 17:03:02 »

You were in good company according to this rather badly written article in the Swindon Advertiser

The Duchess of Cornwall is running late to her Swindon visit because of problems on the trains.

There are signalling problems between Paddington and London meaning services are being hit.

Youngsters at North Swindon Library are looking forward to meeting HRH Camilla Parker Bowles, though they'll have to wait a bit longer as an apparent lack of train services running from Paddington has caused a 20-minute delay.

Her Royal Highness is expected to make up the time by being driven to Swindon right now.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: January 24, 2019, 17:29:45 »

Blimey! It must be safe to assume that the Adver no longer bothers to employ any sub-editors.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 17:42:20 by patch38 » Logged
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: January 24, 2019, 18:09:22 »

Blimey! It must be safe to assume that the Adver no longer bothers to employ any sub-editors.

Maybe the Advertiser got one of the nine years old she was meeting to draft the piece.  No, come to think of it, they would probably have done better than that.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: January 24, 2019, 19:03:30 »

Her Royal Highness is expected to make up the time by being driven to Swindon right now.

I hope she didn't ask her father-in-law for a lift...  Grin
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:48 »

Delays to services between Twyford and Reading

Following a points failure between Twyford and Reading some lines towards Reading have now reopened.
Train services running to and from these stations are returning to normal. Disruption is expected until 11:45 28/01.
Last Updated:28/01/2019 11:34

I don't know how disruptive this was but National Rail Enquiries still showing some minor delays at Reading.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: January 28, 2019, 12:36:47 »

Unusual for a provincial squirrel to get caught up in this kind of thing, but today I did!

All in all, I was left with the impression that railway staff dealt with a difficult situation very well.

People pay good money for trips like the, RS. Sounds like a grand day out!

Now, please!
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: January 28, 2019, 19:51:24 »

Mean while yesterday on the M25 some friends of mine remained stationary for 3 hours ……………. no announcements given, no means of claiming compensation
Is rail travel so bad?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: