Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:15:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1258673 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: July 04, 2019, 07:47:00 »

Cancellations to services between Reading and Bedwyn

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Reading and Bedwyn all lines are closed.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 45 minutes. Disruption is expected until 09:30 04/07.

Delays to services between Newbury and Reading

Due to a fault with the signalling system between Newbury and Reading the line is closed.
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed. Disruption is expected until 10:00 04/07.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: July 04, 2019, 08:09:16 »

Somewhat chaotic scenes at Thatcham when I was there just now (I'm not travelling today but a family member is trying to get to the City for 10am). The 0800 from Thatcham was cancelled yesterday aswell.

Looks like long-distance trains being diverted away from the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury).
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: July 04, 2019, 09:41:14 »

Looks like long-distance trains being diverted away from the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury).

Looks like things are on the move now, 1A71 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) on the move up the B&H 94 late from Newbury (ouch)
My family member has been driven to RDG(resolve) to try from there.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: July 04, 2019, 10:48:10 »

I'm on the 0931 Reading to Plymouth (left about 40 mins late) was showing on time till 0928 then "delayed" staff on platform were getting as much information as customers (ie none). Usually starts from Paddington but started from Reading today......my first "long haul" on an IET (Intercity Express Train).....seems OK to be honest (delay notwithstanding) but there's a chap causing problems.....keeps asking where the Pullman restaurant is & demanding steak & Port.......any idea who it might be? 😉
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: July 04, 2019, 11:15:01 »

but there's a chap causing problems.....keeps asking where the Pullman restaurant is & demanding steak & Port.......any idea who it might be? 😉

If he stays on board when the train gets to Plymouth, the set forms the 12:55 back to London which does have a restaurant.... Grin
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: July 04, 2019, 15:34:18 »

Due to a fault with the signalling system at Didcot Parkway fewer trains are able to run on some lines.
Train services running through this station may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 17:00 04/07.

and from National Rail Enquiries:

A fault with the signalling system at Didcot Parkway is causing disruption to trains between Oxford / Swindon and Reading. Trains may be delayed by up to 30 minutes or amended until approximately 17:00.

National Rail Enquires now saying (15:54):

Trains may be delayed by up to 60 minutes or amended until approximately 17:00.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 15:53:55 by charles_uk » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: July 04, 2019, 16:30:07 »

I'm on the 0931 Reading to Plymouth (left about 40 mins late) was showing on time till 0928 then "delayed" staff on platform were getting as much information as customers (ie none). Usually starts from Paddington but started from Reading today......my first "long haul" on an IET (Intercity Express Train).....seems OK to be honest (delay notwithstanding) but there's a chap causing problems.....keeps asking where the Pullman restaurant is & demanding steak & Port.......any idea who it might be? 😉

Not me  Smiley as well aware that the service has no Pullman. And port  would not be requested until after the main course, to enjoy with the sweet or cheese. Only a heathen would drink port with the steak.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3337 on: July 08, 2019, 11:58:36 »

Not a good late morning it seems (from Journey Check)
Cancellations to services at Slough
Due to a speed restriction over defective track at Slough trains have to run at reduced speed on the line towards Reading bound high speed.
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 10 minutes. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Cancellations to services at Maidenhead
Due to a points failure at Maidenhead some lines towards high speed are disrupted.
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 20 minutes. Disruption is expected until 12:30 08/07.

Cancellations to services between Didcot Parkway and Reading
Due to a fault with the signalling system between Didcot Parkway and Reading fewer trains are able to run on the line towards Reading bound local stopping.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 20 minutes. Disruption is expected until 12:00 08/07.

On the final signalling hiccup.  Is it my imagination or are these now becoming very frequent?
Going back in time, surely failures occurred but we didn't notice? or trains ran without a problem?
Since centralisation, like most centralisation projects, they seem very susceptible to major outages.
Whilst putting all your levers into one big box, you save on staff costs, infrastructure maintenance, etc; but it seems a high price to pay for so many outages.
Which leads me to wonder - does the East & West Coast centralisation suffer similar outages as we do?

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: July 08, 2019, 12:24:05 »

Certainly a lot more infrastructure issues in recent weeks it seems.......along with crew shortage, short formations etc etc....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: July 08, 2019, 15:05:59 »

Certainly a lot more infrastructure issues in recent weeks it seems.......along with crew shortage, short formations etc etc....

There had been several months of pretty reliable infrastructure, demonstrated by the punctuality shooting up and the relative lack of posts on this thread, but yes a few more recent incidents.

I would say this year, so far, has probably seen the least amount of disruption caused by signalling and track defects in the GWML (Great Western Main Line) for at least the past five years, maybe longer - but that’s only from my general observations.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: July 08, 2019, 15:06:39 »

Not a good late morning it seems (from Journey Check)
Cancellations to services at Slough
Due to a speed restriction over defective track at Slough trains have to run at reduced speed on the line towards Reading bound high speed.
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 10 minutes. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

Cancellations to services at Maidenhead
Due to a points failure at Maidenhead some lines towards high speed are disrupted.
Train services running through this station may be cancelled or delayed by up to 20 minutes. Disruption is expected until 12:30 08/07.

Cancellations to services between Didcot Parkway and Reading
Due to a fault with the signalling system between Didcot Parkway and Reading fewer trains are able to run on the line towards Reading bound local stopping.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed by up to 20 minutes. Disruption is expected until 12:00 08/07.

On the final signalling hiccup.  Is it my imagination or are these now becoming very frequent?
Going back in time, surely failures occurred but we didn't notice? or trains ran without a problem?
Since centralisation, like most centralisation projects, they seem very susceptible to major outages.
Whilst putting all your levers into one big box, you save on staff costs, infrastructure maintenance, etc; but it seems a high price to pay for so many outages.
Which leads me to wonder - does the East & West Coast centralisation suffer similar outages as we do?

I don't know the answer to your question but Network Rail need to get a grip on these issues before the new timetable starts in December, with more GWR (Great Western Railway) services and then CrossRail to come in these signalling problems are going to have an even bigger impact on services then they currently do.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: July 09, 2019, 05:54:45 »

Second full day of this;

Alterations to services at Slough

Due to a speed restriction over defective track at Slough trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines.
Train services running through this station may be delayed by up to 10 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:49 »

Still a 5mph speed restriction at Slough on the down main line.

Also, not Thames Valley, but some disruption in South Wales after a pillock on the 05:29ex Swansea claimed to be a member of the IRA and would blow up the train.   Roll Eyes

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: July 09, 2019, 07:30:59 »

Second full day of this;

Alterations to services at Slough

Due to a speed restriction over defective track at Slough trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines.
Train services running through this station may be delayed by up to 10 minutes or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.

All cancelled as a result;

16:48 Reading to London Paddington due 17:53
16:56 London Paddington to Maidenhead due 17:36
17:02 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington due 18:10
17:42 Maidenhead to London Paddington due 18:28
17:57 London Paddington to Reading due 18:42
18:19 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway due 19:23
18:42 London Paddington to Reading due 19:21
18:48 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway due 19:55
19:52 Reading to London Paddington due 20:46
19:57 London Paddington to Reading due 20:52
20:10 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 20:16
20:19 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 20:25
20:27 London Paddington to Didcot Parkway due 21:52
20:30 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 20:36
20:39 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 20:45
20:50 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 20:56
20:59 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 21:05
21:10 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 21:16
21:19 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 21:25
21:30 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 21:36
21:39 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 21:45
21:50 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 21:56
21:59 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 22:05
22:10 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 22:16
22:19 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 22:25
22:30 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 22:36
22:39 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 22:45
22:50 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 22:56
22:59 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 23:05
23:12 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 23:18
23:21 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 23:27
23:36 Slough to Windsor & Eton Central due 23:42
23:46 Windsor & Eton Central to Slough due 23:52
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: July 09, 2019, 10:05:41 »

I would imagine all those Windsor’s are cancelled to get the unit off the branch early to allow repairs to the damaged rail to take place overnight.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: