09:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:42 Paignton to Exmouth
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
10:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
12:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 12:03 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
12:11 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
13:10 Weston-Super-Mare to Severn Beach
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 12:22:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[122] "Mayflower"
[94] You see all sorts on the bus.
[67] Where have I been?
[56] Death of another bus station?
[32] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[26] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1257390 times)
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: July 09, 2019, 18:50:30 »

An utter mess in the Thames Valley this evening.  I’d nearly forgotten how much I hate commuting.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: July 09, 2019, 20:16:00 »

Possession now taken to repair the damaged track.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: July 09, 2019, 20:27:14 »

On the final signalling hiccup.  Is it my imagination or are these now becoming very frequent?
Going back in time, surely failures occurred but we didn't notice? or trains ran without a problem?
Since centralisation, like most centralisation projects, they seem very susceptible to major outages.
Whilst putting all your levers into one big box, you save on staff costs, infrastructure maintenance, etc; but it seems a high price to pay for so many outages.
Which leads me to wonder - does the East & West Coast centralisation suffer similar outages as we do?

I for one share your sense of outage.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: July 09, 2019, 20:41:06 »

On the final signalling hiccup.  Is it my imagination or are these now becoming very frequent?
Going back in time, surely failures occurred but we didn't notice? or trains ran without a problem?

I'm not sure whether exact figures on signalling failures per year, per route, are published - one for Stuving, our resident Google sleuth?  Cheesy

Given the track defects last night at Langley and yesterday and today at Slough you might think those were on the increase, but I think generally the opposite is true.  'Broken rails' were down a whopping 90% from 952 in 1998 to 109 in 2015 for example.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: July 10, 2019, 06:08:29 »

Following the repairs to the track at Slough the unit for the Windsor shuttle is trapped on the branch. As a result some services have been cancelled to conserve fuel.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: July 10, 2019, 07:00:03 »

Following the repairs to the track at Slough the unit for the Windsor shuttle is trapped on the branch. As a result some services have been cancelled to conserve fuel.

How much fuel is needed ?
No question of a drum of diesel fuel in the back of a van and a portable electric pump worked from the van battery I suppose.
Easier just to take the default option of mass cancellations.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: July 10, 2019, 07:21:14 »

It means two return trips an hour are running instead of three.

I’m not sure how you could get a road based vehicle to access the train.  It might be possible if the train is shunted to the siding near Slough station I suppose.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: July 10, 2019, 09:24:06 »

From where I am in South Devon, it seems that signal/track problems always seem to happen in a
 relatively small area with regular frequency, correct me if I'm wrong.
 Are the new signalling systems not as 'robust' as the one's they replaced ?
 Do they have the same problems in other area's, i.e. South West Railway ?

From a local point of view, Network Rail seem 'to fix' problems but not necessarily repair.
 I suppose with exception, the well publicised sea wall at Dawlish.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3353 on: July 10, 2019, 09:50:39 »

From where I am in South Devon, it seems that signal/track problems always seem to happen in a
 relatively small area with regular frequency, correct me if I'm wrong.
 Are the new signalling systems not as 'robust' as the one's they replaced ?
 Do they have the same problems in other area's, i.e. South West Railway ?

From a local point of view, Network Rail seem 'to fix' problems but not necessarily repair.
 I suppose with exception, the well publicised sea wall at Dawlish.

Exactly my question, which interestingly, hasn't had an answer as yet.
I do wonder if in bygone days before the tinternet, you would only hear about problems directly affecting you.
Also you were not so interested in how other areas were doing.

It does also seem to be the case with signalling issues that a quick fix is done.  Guess that's because there is no budget to look into historical failures/common issues and find a long term solution.?
More questions than answers!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: July 10, 2019, 10:26:01 »

From where I live in mid-Devon, the railway seems a relatively simple thing, becoming a much more complex organism the closer you get to London. A quick count on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) shows 17 trains between Taunton and Exeter, with 18 in the opposite direction, between 0600 and 1200 today, with only 7 signals (if I got that right) between the two stations. Slough, although I didn't try counting, seems to get that in an hour. Between there and Paddington, the signalling is much more intensive and the track layout much more complicated. The effects of a fault are therefore much more severe than on the lightly-loaded line. You could maintain a reasonable service with drivers telephoning from every failed signal in Devon, but never in the Thames Valley.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: July 10, 2019, 10:26:33 »

It means two return trips an hour are running instead of three.

I’m not sure how you could get a road based vehicle to access the train.  It might be possible if the train is shunted to the siding near Slough station I suppose.

So the combined resources of network rail (whose defective track caused the problem) and GWR (Great Western Railway) whose train needs fuel, are not able to deliver a modest supply of diesel fuel to a train in suburban London. Several easy ways of doing this exist.

1) Put drum of fuel in back of a van. Pump fuel into train at someplace with suitable access.

2) Put drum of fuel in van. Unload and roll the drum/use a trolley to the platform by means of the ramp or lift intended for wheelchairs. Use a hand pump to fill tank on train.

3) Fill a number of 20 liter jerry cans with diesel fuel use a van to transport these to the station. Carry the jerry cans to the train. Use a large funnel attached to a short piece of hose to pour from jerry can into fuel tank on train.

4) Contact a fuel delivery firm with a small tanker that incorporates a pump and delivery hose. These are very common and readily available. They deliver to small tanks at the far end of a domestic back garden without problems, so a parked train should be easy.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: July 10, 2019, 10:30:12 »

While I don't disagree with the sentiment I am not sure that refuelling a train while it is stood on a public platform is likely to be countenanced.  Refilling water tanks is one thing, fuel - albeit it diesel - is another.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: July 10, 2019, 13:23:15 »

While I don't disagree with the sentiment I am not sure that refuelling a train while it is stood on a public platform is likely to be countenanced.  Refilling water tanks is one thing, fuel - albeit it diesel - is another.

And yet it is done every day, with members of the public including children and babes in close proximity - diesel [and petrol!] with lots of moving vehicles and often food and drink sales close by. My local has a sign saying Tesco and sometimes offers a discount of 5p per litre.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: July 10, 2019, 13:29:59 »

Probably a more realistic idea would have been to re-time one of the trains back 10 minutes so the 2tph at 30-minute intervals that used to operate would run.  Maximum delay of just 10 minutes to passengers, and in fact the way the connections work, some through journeys would actually be 10 minutes quicker!  Possible implications with crew diagrams and breaks though.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: July 10, 2019, 13:54:34 »

This is how they do it in Romania, fuelling arrangements at the very beginning.
Perhaps a few of the vehicles could be procured to replace Pacers ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeBIxI7n1I

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: