I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:32:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243956 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: January 09, 2020, 10:56:05 »

Damaged dropper, which that train's pantograph hit causing pan to drop and section to trip.  All fine with minimal damage after that dropper was removed with normal working resumed at 17:42, but heavy traffic delayed repair staff so trains routed through the up relief platform whilst waiting for them.  I would imagine proper repairs will take place overnight?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ee8ba40fda563d662d31c48e65d4e288/tumblr_inline_pfvxb1EaGt1srob4n_1280.png 

I imagine that sort of thing have required a full isolation on the older style 'headspan' OHLE and trains would have been stopped for ages, instead of regaining 75% of capacity within a few minutes?

It is good that the effect on rail services wasn't the degree of total and catastrophic that we have become used to, but is it worrying that the failure of such a small part caused such disruption?

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 09, 2020, 11:52:08 »

Damaged dropper, which that train's pantograph hit causing pan to drop and section to trip.  All fine with minimal damage after that dropper was removed with normal working resumed at 17:42, but heavy traffic delayed repair staff so trains routed through the up relief platform whilst waiting for them.  I would imagine proper repairs will take place overnight?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ee8ba40fda563d662d31c48e65d4e288/tumblr_inline_pfvxb1EaGt1srob4n_1280.png 

I imagine that sort of thing have required a full isolation on the older style 'headspan' OHLE and trains would have been stopped for ages, instead of regaining 75% of capacity within a few minutes?

It is good that the effect on rail services wasn't the degree of total and catastrophic that we have become used to, but is it worrying that the failure of such a small part caused such disruption?

That's really just the nature of the system, being a network. Big interconnected systems tend to have this "every little bit's gotta work" principle, though railways do have it more than some others. It does make it harder work getting resilience up to a worthwhile level - this was one of the main reasons why buses took over from trams and trolleybuses, after all. 

Maybe we need one of those Cummings-approved oddballs to bring the ideas behind IP routeing into railways? Obviously it would be possible if you rebuilt all those parallel lines Beeching closed, and then built a load more ... just as long as you don't mind having no idea which route you'll be travelling on, or how long it will take.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 09, 2020, 22:31:08 »

Not necessarily, displaced droppers happen quite often, they are designed to give way if hit by a pan and the pan is designed to drop.

Risk on units with a single pan is it may need another unit to rescue it.

NR» (Network Rail - home page)'s MOMs (Mobile Operations Manager) (Mobile Operations Managers) are trained to use live line poles with a range of attachments to remove objects from the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") including damaged droppers.  This allows the resumption of traffic usually at a reduced speed until the OLE maintenance team arrive to assess if normal running can resume

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 10, 2020, 07:34:02 »

Thanks for that, ET.  I believe that different rules apply if there has been a ADD (Automatic Dropping Device) in an area of headspan Over-Head Line Equipment (OHLE) as opposed to cantilever or portal, which will likely delay resumption of normal working?

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 15:59:25 by VickiS » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 10, 2020, 09:23:23 »

I noticed in Lisbon (the Portugal one) that the tram operator has a scissors jack vehicle with the platform mounted on 4 insulators, so they could maintain/repair the overhead wires while still live.  Sometimes they would just move the vehicle out of the way when a tram came along.

Of course they had to remember not to touch anything on the wrong side of the insulators while they were up there.  And I accept that a Risk Assessment may rule out that method of working for 25kV!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 10, 2020, 11:41:43 »

And I accept that a Risk Assessment may rule out that method of working for 25kV!

The laws of physics still apply - just use bigger insulators ! Cheesy  Shocked
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 10, 2020, 12:25:38 »

I noticed in Lisbon (the Portugal one) that the tram operator has a scissors jack vehicle with the platform mounted on 4 insulators, so they could maintain/repair the overhead wires while still live.  Sometimes they would just move the vehicle out of the way when a tram came along.

Of course they had to remember not to touch anything on the wrong side of the insulators while they were up there.  And I accept that a Risk Assessment may rule out that method of working for 25kV!

Oddly enough, when I was in Lisbon I saw a couple of blokes dragging a steel tower on wheels around in the street - but no insulators. They were checking the (mains) bulbs in strings of decorative lights, which in the dark and drizzle seemed dodgy enough. But there were tram OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") wires too, and the tower only just passed under them.

Now that was 25 years ago, and I'm sure practices and attitudes to safety have moved on a lot since then. Likewise on the local trains, where you'd see people standing next to the open doors - and it wasn't even that hot (it was November).
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 10, 2020, 18:11:02 »

Not like this then  Roll Eyes Grin https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/images/4018337.jpg
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 11, 2020, 16:15:36 »

That's really just the nature of the system, being a network. Big interconnected systems tend to have this "every little bit's gotta work" principle, though railways do have it more than some others. It does make it harder work getting resilience up to a worthwhile level - this was one of the main reasons why buses took over from trams and trolleybuses, after all. 

Maybe we need one of those Cummings-approved oddballs to bring the ideas behind IP routeing into railways? Obviously it would be possible if you rebuilt all those parallel lines Beeching closed, and then built a load more ... just as long as you don't mind having no idea which route you'll be travelling on, or how long it will take.

I remember learning about how Arpanet, later known as the Internet, works. I had not long read the Beeching report, which was all about identifying and removing any redundancy from the rail network. Imagine my surprise to learn that, given the brief of designing a resilient network, one of the fundamental precepts ARPA applied was seamless invisible multiple redundancy.

I think it is fair to assume that resilience was not part of Beeching's brief.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 11, 2020, 17:10:12 »

DO NOT TRY THIS. VERY DANGEROUS - extra warning added by Grahame as members have expressed concern.  Better say "Don't do this" even three times than risk anyone missing the message

Live conductors may be touched with impunity provided that the person doing the touching is sufficiently insulated from earth, such that no current can pass through the person.

Observe for example that birds perch on high voltage wires without harm, there is no path via the bird to earth. If however the bird comes too close to anything earthed then it will be killed.

It is in theory perfectly safe to stand upon an energised conductor rail, provided that no part of you is in contact with earth.DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT ACTUALLY TRYING THIS. THE SLIGHTEST TRIP OR STUMBLE COULD KILL YOU
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 19:41:01 by grahame » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 11, 2020, 17:15:55 »

Live conductors may be touched with impunity provided that the person doing the touching is sufficiently insulated from earth, such that no current can pass through the person.

Observe for example that birds perch on high voltage wires without harm, there is no path via the bird to earth. If however the bird comes too close to anything earthed then it will be killed.

It is in theory perfectly safe to stand upon an energised conductor rail, provided that no part of you is in contact with earth.DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT ACTUALLY TRYING THIS. THE SLIGHTEST TRIP OR STUMBLE COULD KILL YOU

Quite so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEAEGeFIw

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 24, 2020, 06:15:43 »

Delays to services between London Paddington and Slough
Due to a fault with the signalling system between London Paddington and Slough the London Paddington bound high speed line is blocked.
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 15 minutes. Disruption is expected until 07:00 24/01.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: February 05, 2020, 20:37:58 »

Alterations to services between London Paddington and Ealing Broadway
Due to a fault with the signalling system between London Paddington and Ealing Broadway trains have to run at reduced speed on some lines.
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 22:00 05/02.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: February 09, 2020, 12:25:31 »

Cancellations to services between Maidenhead and London Paddington

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Maidenhead and London Paddington fewer trains are able to run on all lines.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed.

Disruption is expected until 16:00 09/02.
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: February 17, 2020, 14:54:18 »

Not sure if this has been caused by Storm Dennis or not - for the record:

Cancellations to services between Didcot Parkway and Reading

Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Didcot Parkway and Reading some lines are blocked.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 15:00 17/02.

Customer Advice
Replacement road transport has been arranged to operate in both directions between Reading and Didcot Parkway.

Last Updated:17/02/2020 14:36

Hard to tell how much disruption it's causing with all the other things going on but, certainly,  causing some ripples up towards the Cotswolds.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: