07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
Delayed
06:04 Basingstoke to Reading
06:40 Reading to Basingstoke
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:45:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[88] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[77] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[74] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[62] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[56] A daily picture from my recent travels
[40] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1240549 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: February 17, 2020, 20:12:27 »

Today a friend was coming to Tilehurst from the Bedford area, a journey that she's made a dozen times. For some or no reason or other, she opted for an FGW (First Great Western) stopper from Paddington and became confused about when it was due at Tilehurst, thinking she would be there for 1357.

I duly arrived to meet her, but she didn't get off the train. Turned out that her train was the one due at 1427, so I hung around. (I couldn't eke out reading Metro beyond eight minutes.) Around 1421, the station info display announced that the 1427 was cancelled (terminated at Reading), though the news wasn't imparted to the passengers until it was arriving in Reading.

Luckily the 1426 to Reading was running 16 minutes late, so I had time to move my car from the station forecourt to a side road (where parking isn't allowed until 1500, but ...) and meet my friend in town for a meal.

Our train back to Tilehurst was cancelled, so I paid for a taxi  Cry

There were several cancellations on the evening trains from Tilehurst to Reading, but the 1854 diesel was running some 14 minutes late. Whilst we waited, several express trains and a freight came along the up relief.

Being the school holidays, there were a dozen or so youngsters on my train into Reading - they may had to hang around for a service back home.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: February 18, 2020, 06:24:56 »

2nd day of this.....

Cancellations to services between Didcot Parkway and Reading
Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between Didcot Parkway and Reading some lines are blocked.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until 23:00 18/02.
Customer Advice
Following damage to overhead electric wires between Didcot Parkway and Reading, we are expecting some changes to services on Tuesday 18 February.
Some lines will remain blocked to trains throughout the day as work to repair the damage continues.
While we will still be able to run the majority of services, fewer trains will run to avoid congestion and delays through the area.
Customers planning to travel on services between South Wales and Bristol and London, or between Reading and London, should check before travelling

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: February 18, 2020, 06:31:08 »

Some trains diverted via the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury).
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: February 18, 2020, 07:54:21 »

Having got caught up in the problems between Reading and Didcot last night - resulting in a bus journey from Reading, I struggled to see what the actual issue was.

Certainly the 165/166 services were running up to Banbury ( although no good for me -can someone provide an explanation why the 17:02 ex Reading runs fast to Goring !)
There seems to be a healthy number of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) going on both up main and up relief.

Checking open train maps there seemed to be trains on each line running ?

So what is the issue exactly ?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: February 18, 2020, 07:54:48 »

Stopping trains particularly badly affected.

Only 4 out of 11 trains calling at Goring & Streatley after 7-45 running.

Most (but not all) trains running on the relief lines.  Exception being an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) just gone through.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: February 18, 2020, 08:51:17 »

Most (but not all) trains running on the relief lines.  Exception being an XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) just gone through.

Also impacting Didcot - Oxford services, between 0700 and 0900 4 of the 6 services cancelled.
I also got caught up last night with my journey home cancelled.
It's ironic that diesel trains to Oxford get cancelled by problems with overhead wires! And I don't understand why GWR (Great Western Railway) couldn't at least operate a half hourly service between Oxford and Didcot.
I gave up and took the car, thankfully it is half-term so little traffic.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: February 18, 2020, 09:00:01 »

Also impacting Didcot - Oxford services, between 0700 and 0900 4 of the 6 services cancelled.
I also got caught up last night with my journey home cancelled.
It's ironic that diesel trains to Oxford get cancelled by problems with overhead wires! And I don't understand why GWR (Great Western Railway) couldn't at least operate a half hourly service between Oxford and Didcot.
I gave up and took the car, thankfully it is half-term so little traffic.

It is odd that not ALL trains are effected - just the majority. And the relief lines do seem to be getting a lot of fast (Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea) services running over them.

Do I suspect that relief services are being culled for the ability to run mains?

And is this really a ‘lines down’ event (which would surely necessitate full line closure while repairs are carried out) or is this really some other kind of electric fault - which may be a few days more before all is right (time for fault tracing and cause, new replacement parts orders and delivered and required and then actual fitting) ?

ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:32 »

I am a bit confused about where this event happened as the hashtag used by Network Rail for this incident was #Culham. See http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/disruption/details/538A652F9AC14A8EA3CD1A03139AA0C7
I assume this was a mistake unless NR» (Network Rail - home page) are trolling us about the cancellation of the electrification to Oxford.

I note that the Didcot - Oxford service is now running half-hourly, presumably because in the off-peak these trains don't continue to Reading.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: February 18, 2020, 10:01:37 »

The line closure tagged by the signallers is east of Tilehurst on the Up Main. I guess there may be restricted working on the Down lines (either side) if repair work is going on. So all the up trains are being channeled towards P12-15 at Reading.

One odd effect of this is that TfL» (Transport for London - about) Rail trains have been swapped across to reverse in P10 (and at times P9 too), as this is operationally a bay at the moment.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: February 18, 2020, 11:25:15 »

Here's the reason:

A signalling cable for SB901 on the Down Main became loose and was struck by the pantograph of 800304 on 1A17. This pulled the signalling cable onto the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") on the Up Main causing damage to both.

SB901 signal is one of a couple that are mounted on the OLE support rather than a seperate signal structure (there is a similar one, T596 at Maidenhead).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: February 18, 2020, 11:33:02 »

Indeed.  The signal is now repaired and the overheads in the process of being repaired, but until they are nothing is able to use the Up Main between Didcot East and Reading - there are a couple of trains 1P24 and 1L13 showing as on the Up Main on OpenTrainTimes, but they have hung in their system from yesterday and aren't actually there!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: February 18, 2020, 15:48:47 »

Indeed.  The signal is now repaired and the overheads in the process of being repaired, but until they are nothing is able to use the Up Main between Didcot East and Reading - there are a couple of trains 1P24 and 1L13 showing as on the Up Main on OpenTrainTimes, but they have hung in their system from yesterday and aren't actually there!

I hope not, as the signals in rear of each train description are showing clear on the OTT (Open Train Times website) map! Wink
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: February 18, 2020, 17:57:38 »

Line closed between Didcot and Reading from 2130 tonight until 0600 tomorrow in an attempt to get it fixed.

GWR (Great Western Railway) telling everyone to travel early tonight.
lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: February 18, 2020, 18:06:41 »

Line closed between Didcot and Reading from 2130 tonight until 0600 tomorrow in an attempt to get it fixed.

Ummm - where exactly are they saying this !

Not on any public presence that I can see (and I’ve just arrived at Paddington
)
 Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3524 on: February 18, 2020, 18:11:58 »

Ummm - where exactly are they saying this !

Not on any public presence that I can see (and I’ve just arrived at Paddington
)
 Roll Eyes

@GWRHelp on Twitter

⚠️ Emergency work will take place from 21:30 this evening to repair storm damage to overhead electric wires between #DidcotParkway and #Reading. Please travel earlier this evening if you can.

Image with that tweet:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: