Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningDelayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 16:44:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1258477 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: September 19, 2022, 13:41:53 »

I wonder if there's a group within NR» (Network Rail - home page) saying "I told you - we should have replaced all that old headspan as soon as we could".
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: September 19, 2022, 14:04:25 »

I wonder if there's a group within NR» (Network Rail - home page) saying "I told you - we should have replaced all that old headspan as soon as we could".

I agree, and this would be a good time to announce replacement of at least the worst bits. Time to act quickly, partly to outmaneuver the NIMBYs.

This also reinforces my previously stated view that ALL new and refurbished electric trains should have either a small diesel engine or a battery sufficient to move the train, at a much reduced speed, when the wires come down. Or to power on board services if the train can not be moved.

One of the few merits of the failed IET (Intercity Express Train) project is the inclusion of a single diesel engine in the nominally electric trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3812 on: September 19, 2022, 14:10:44 »

It seems a fairly frequent occurrence for the OHLE to fail, more so around Paddington.
Not aware of it being so much of an issue for other London termini.

From recent comments above, Paddington has older OHLE compared to other stations.
Whilst it would seem prudent to replace asap, that cost would have to be authorised by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), and probably they are happy for Network Rail/GWR (Great Western Railway) to take the blame and not authorise additional expenditure.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: September 19, 2022, 14:22:32 »

I agree, and this would be a good time to announce replacement of at least the worst bits. Time to act quickly, partly to outmaneuver the NIMBYs.

It seems a fairly frequent occurrence for the OHLE to fail, more so around Paddington.
Not aware of it being so much of an issue for other London termini.

From recent comments above, Paddington has older OHLE compared to other stations.
Whilst it would seem prudent to replace asap, that cost would have to be authorised by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about), and probably they are happy for Network Rail/GWR (Great Western Railway) to take the blame and not authorise additional expenditure.

Yes, out as far as just beyond Hayes the electrification was done 'on the cheap' in the late 90s for the Heathrow Electrification and was virtually all headspan.

Several of the 'least worst bits' have been replaced over the years, usually around junctions where there is most risk.  You can see this here with the area concerned at between 9-10 minutes in:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMADOeBumAU I agree that all other areas should be replaced as soon as possible.  It is little use having very reliable OHLE, as we do, from 11 miles out of Paddington, if the first 11 miles are still susceptible to widespread damage in the event of failure.

Lines have now been re-energised between Reading and Stockley Bridge (between West Drayton and Hayes) so AIUI (as I understand it) an electric service can now operate as far as Slough/West Drayton from the Reading direction.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 14:28:27 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: September 19, 2022, 15:00:52 »

Obviously passengers wanting to get to Heathrow from Paddington are going to be frustrated.

National Rail say
Passengers travelling to / from Heathrow should use the Piccadilly Line.

Oh dear. TfL» (Transport for London - about) are saying
Piccadilly Line: Severe delays between Acton Town and Heathrow Airport / Uxbridge and between Arnos Grove and Cockfosters due to an earlier signal failure at Arsenal. Tickets are being accepted on London Buses and Great Northern. MINOR DELAYS on the rest of the line.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: September 19, 2022, 15:39:17 »

Night Riviera sleeper cancelled in both directions.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3816 on: September 19, 2022, 16:04:40 »

Don't understand that.
Entirely diesel hauled.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: September 19, 2022, 16:14:32 »

Could well be due to staffing issues caused by the disruption. 
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: September 19, 2022, 16:27:25 »

Or there is a need for a long duration possession tonight to repair the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE"), as it sounds like headspan construction are that was damaged an all lines block may be needed

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: September 19, 2022, 16:51:09 »

And just seen the "On This Day" story at the top of this page where 25 years ago today, the line was blocked for a horrifyingly different reason.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: September 19, 2022, 17:38:28 »

Or there is a need for a long duration possession tonight to repair the OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE"), as it sounds like headspan construction are that was damaged an all lines block may be needed

Suspect GWR (Great Western Railway) will be picking up some pretty hefty hotel bills tonight.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3821 on: September 19, 2022, 19:12:29 »

Suspect that GWR (Great Western Railway) will pass these costs on to Network Rail.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: September 19, 2022, 19:16:46 »

Suspect that GWR (Great Western Railway) will pass these costs on to Network Rail.

AKA (also known as) the taxpayer, but that's a p***ing match for GWR & NR» (Network Rail - home page) to have later......main thing is that all customers are taken care of tonight.

Now suggesting that disruption will continue until "at least" 0900 tomorrow.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: September 19, 2022, 19:20:06 »

Don't understand that.
Entirely diesel hauled.

This mornings sleeper arrival into Paddington is still in the Paddington area! 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3824 on: September 19, 2022, 19:32:06 »

Which presumably means that it hasn't yet been cleaned from last night?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: