Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:58:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243877 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: November 26, 2022, 07:55:09 »

I'd think twice if there's suddenly a special offer on pheasant on the Pullman menu!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3916 on: November 26, 2022, 08:05:41 »

I'd think twice if there's suddenly a special offer on pheasant on the Pullman menu!

There is nothing wrong with eating roadkill - provided that the systems are set up to minimise such casualties.  Whether we would choose to do so is a question for us as individuals, and I would suggest to GWR (Great Western Railway) that they not add pheasant to their menu in this circumstance out of the consideration that it might shock some diners.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: November 26, 2022, 08:46:59 »

There is nothing wrong with eating roadkill - provided that the systems are set up to minimise such casualties.  Whether we would choose to do so is a question for us as individuals, and I would suggest to GWR (Great Western Railway) that they not add pheasant to their menu in this circumstance out of the consideration that it might shock some diners.

Certainly worth checking if the pheasant in question had paid his RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) subs - we've enough trouble already without giving Bruvver Mick reason for more disruption due to his members being eaten (so to speak!).

Nice with a glass of Port to follow though......... Wink
Mark A
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: November 26, 2022, 11:13:48 »

a technician has found a pheasant stuck in the roof of the train near the pantograph

That must be one of the more expensive incidents caused by a pheasant - is it 50 million of which are released into the wild annually, with, lately, a possible boost to the spread of bird flu? It's also reminded me of a work colleague's very unpleasant encounter with one - in the event he only lost the windscreen of the vehicle involved but it was nearly rather worse than that.

Mark
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: November 26, 2022, 17:58:27 »

Today’s gwr strike is now compounded by a suicide that has closed the Elizabeth Line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3920 on: November 26, 2022, 18:17:45 »

Today’s gwr strike is now compounded by a suicide that has closed the Elizabeth Line.

That is, though, presumptive. "Person hit by train" until confirmed or otherwise - there are some occasions where a person is hit by a train is something else.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: November 26, 2022, 18:41:31 »

Just relating verbatim from gwr staff at Maidenhead.
That’s my Saturday night out cancelled before it got started.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3922 on: November 26, 2022, 19:18:27 »

Just relating verbatim from gwr staff at Maidenhead.
That’s my Saturday night out cancelled before it got started.

Yeah - understood totally.  Staff banter on the platform is unlikely to have been overheard by the friends or relatives of the person hit.  But we know from the sad history of people hit be trains that those who know / knew them come looking online for information, and we owe it to those people not to make any assumptions, and indeed to offer our sympathy and understanding

BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: November 26, 2022, 19:41:59 »

I was delayed getting back to Twyford tonight but I was lucky in that I hung around at Paddington EL station in the hope that one train just *might* go through and indeed one did - it was the 16:39 from Abbey Wood which initially terminated at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and then it was suddenly announced it would continue. By then it was an hour late but I was simply grateful to be able to get home (and indeed looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) now at 19:40 there appears to have been no further departures to Reading following the train I was on).
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: November 26, 2022, 20:45:04 »

Depending upon how you view things it is either very unlucky or extraordinarily ambitious to be hit by a train during a scheduled rail strike.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: November 27, 2022, 09:03:23 »

Well my initial through running test of the Elizabeth Line was compromised (polite version) by this.

The train stopped at Langley. The driver came on and said that the power had been turned off because of an incident in the Westbourne Park area. After various other messages as it started to rain and the lights grew dimmer he said the batteries were running low and we would have to leave the train.

Zero support at Langley station, sorry no buses, no taxis, have to get an Uber. Do Elizabeth Line offer no passenger support outside their TfL» (Transport for London - about) core area, don't want to give money to non-Tfl franchises? Several bus loads of train passengers left in the dark (both senses) outside Langley station.

I had formulated my plan B. Cycle down to the A4 (never been this way before), turn right along the A4 to Slough, turn a left in Slough past the Police Station, right through Chalvey and then down the cycle route to Windsor (which was a novel experience in the dark). To Windsor and Eton Riverside, train to Staines and the train back to Reading. Brompton to the rescue. Personal Rail replacement bike service!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: November 27, 2022, 10:24:03 »

How long was it before the batteries started to give up and you were told to leave the train, Sid?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: November 27, 2022, 11:48:31 »

Well my initial through running test of the Elizabeth Line was compromised (polite version) by this.

The train stopped at Langley. The driver came on and said that the power had been turned off because of an incident in the Westbourne Park area. After various other messages as it started to rain and the lights grew dimmer he said the batteries were running low and we would have to leave the train.

Zero support at Langley station, sorry no buses, no taxis, have to get an Uber. Do Elizabeth Line offer no passenger support outside their TfL» (Transport for London - about) core area, don't want to give money to non-Tfl franchises? Several bus loads of train passengers left in the dark (both senses) outside Langley station.

I had formulated my plan B. Cycle down to the A4 (never been this way before), turn right along the A4 to Slough, turn a left in Slough past the Police Station, right through Chalvey and then down the cycle route to Windsor (which was a novel experience in the dark). To Windsor and Eton Riverside, train to Staines and the train back to Reading. Brompton to the rescue. Personal Rail replacement bike service!

According to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) it looks like you were on the 15:09 Abbey Wood-Reading which was stuck at Langley for 113 minutes. This was the train 30 minutes before the one I initially caught at Bond Street which was terminated one stop later at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). I was regretting not having left earlier but on seeing what had happened to your train I was happier to be stuck at PAD where at least there was refreshments available 'upstairs'.

After a while I grabbed some food and drink but on attempting to return to the EL platforms the staff had closed the barrier line to exit only and were telling people travelling to Reading to use Waterloo. My experience of 30 years commuting from PAD has nearly always been that it's never a good idea to do this and that it's much better to wait for services to resume on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) which can happen very suddenly.

I was able to gain access to the EL platforms via the subway from the Bakerloo Line. It was now about 17:45 and I decided to wait and see what happened. Fortunately I didn't have too long to wait - as I mentioned in my post above, the 17:09 departure from PAD to RDG(resolve) (which was the one 30 minutes after the service I'd first attempted to catch) arrived at 18:02 and after the platform staff had turfed everyone off, a shout came from the front end of the platform to say that the train *would* continue in service westwards so I jumped on and the train left almost immediately.

After then it was an easy journey on a very empty train, the only thing to note was that we caught up with the service to Maidenhead which had left PAD at 15:58 and had been stuck at Ealing Broadway for over 2 hours according to RTT. However that only caused a slight further delay and then the train I was on finally got busy at MAI (Maidenhead station).

On the subject of TfL offering support outside of their core area, I assume I need to do Delay Repay with GWR (Great Western Railway) as I bought the ticket from them at Twyford. I'll see what happens but GWR were not being very helpful on Twitter last night with them referring queries from TWY (Twyford station) and MAI passengers to TfL.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: November 27, 2022, 12:41:39 »

Sorry II I am notoriously not very time aware when I am out on one of my Saturday trips. The Aircon went off first, then the crys of there are no loos started! I would say at lest 30 minutes. My other thought was what if the driver ran out of hours, presumably they would have to taxi a replacement from Paddington, Maidenhead or Reading.

BBM, my other half was at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and eventually got on a rammed GWR (Great Western Railway) train to Bristol/Swansea.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: November 27, 2022, 12:52:06 »

Sorry II I am notoriously not very time aware when I am out on one of my Saturday trips. The Aircon went off first, then the crys of there are no loos started! I would say at lest 30 minutes. My other thought was what if the driver ran out of hours, presumably they would have to taxi a replacement from Paddington, Maidenhead or Reading.

OK, thanks for that.  Always interesting to see how long it takes for an EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) batteries to start 'load shedding'.  At least 30 minutes isn't too bad I suppose, but again if it was a baking hot day or a freezing cold night then it will become uncomfortable quite quickly without an engine to provide hotel power.

In these situations trains that are stranded at stations will be a much lower priority than any that are stranded between stations or in tunnels, etc.  So, whilst the Elizabeth Line will deal with their trains at any location they serve, if it's a large number of trains affected I can see why you would have felt rather left alone if at a stand at Iver station.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: