Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:50:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: hello to all from fgw driver  (Read 31529 times)
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 20:45:43 »

Think it might be a good idea not to start WW3!

dont get me wrong i am not trying to start ww3 i am just expressing my view about the us and them attitude the hst crews seem to have.
it is almost like they think they are better than us,i must stress this is not all of em but you do come across a lot like it.
maybe hstdriver can enlighten us why there seems to be this attitude towards us? afterall we are all 1 big family now
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 21:37:14 »

dont get me wrong i am not trying to start ww3 i am just expressing my view about the us and them attitude the hst crews seem to have.
it is almost like they think they are better than us,i must stress this is not all of em but you do come across a lot like it.
maybe hstdriver can enlighten us why there seems to be this attitude towards us? afterall we are all 1 big family now
yeah right! One big family with a massive division down the middle! I'm ex wessex like you Smithy, and the attitude of some (not all) HSS (High Speed Services) crews stink! Ever get the look down the nose and ignore thing? Life's too short!
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 18:37:05 »

Personally I'd rate Local staff more friendly and more interested in collecting tickets, although to be fair I was sufficiently checked on all AXC» (Arriva Cross Country - about)/FGW (First Great Western) HSS (High Speed Services)/FGW local services I was on last weekend!
Tickets Please

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 19:15:50 »

maybe its the way that west crews are left alone by fgw crew management. maybe its the way that some of the west crew walk around like they have wrapped themselves in gaffa tape and rolled around in a dust bath. maybe its the way that some of your west colleagues want the same money as hss crew but dont want to work a train with 500+ people on it to London and all the grief that entails.

maybe those are some of the reasons why

Any comments made are mine and not that of my employer. My comments do not necessarily reflect the views of my employers and should be taken as my personal opinion.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 19:19:38 »

HSS (High Speed Services) is far more relaxing i'd say - if in doubt, sit in the buffet and use the doors in F!
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 20:12:42 »

HSS (High Speed Services) is far more relaxing i'd say - if in doubt, sit in the buffet and use the doors in F!

Quite. If I worked as a guard I would prefer HSTs (High Speed Train). Less tickets to sell (in theory), etc, etc.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 20:27:24 »

maybe its the way that west crews are left alone by fgw crew management. maybe its the way that some of the west crew walk around like they have wrapped themselves in gaffa tape and rolled around in a dust bath. maybe its the way that some of your west colleagues want the same money as hss crew but dont want to work a train with 500+ people on it to London and all the grief that entails.

not strictly true,yes they do want same money but majority also want to work hss but refuse to until harmonised.
on the other hand will hss crews want to work local trains say down the beach?i think not.
in my opinion going to london is less grief,limited stops,mainly green signals and rarely check tickets so it is swings and roundabouts.
the remark about gaffa tape and dust baths is only applicable to a small minority of which some hss crews are the same.
it is basically a case of hss think they are better than us.
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 20:30:13 »

yeah right! One big family with a massive division down the middle! I'm ex wessex like you Smithy, and the attitude of some (not all) HSS (High Speed Services) crews stink! Ever get the look down the nose and ignore thing? Life's too short!

oh yes i get the look down nose and ignore treatment from hss crews (as you say not all as some are quite friendly) yes life is too short
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 20:30:32 »

in my opinion going to london is less grief,limited stops,mainly green signals and rarely check tickets so it is swings and roundabouts.

Guessing you haven't travelled between Paddington and Reading/Didcot then?
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 20:33:49 »

maybe there is conjestion in that area but on the whole signals in their favour,plus they do not spend all day swapping sets going to different places.
just a case of btm-pad have a pnb and then return to btm
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 21:07:31 »

it is basically a case of hss think they are better than us.

I'm affraid thats where I stand as well. I have seen at least once, a member of dispatch staff at Westbury getting verbal abuse, because a FGW (First Great Western) LOCAL train has taken there path. NOT ON.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2008, 21:46:27 »

maybe there is conjestion in that area but on the whole signals in their favour,plus they do not spend all day swapping sets going to different places.
just a case of btm-pad have a pnb and then return to btm

Yes, there is near enough always congestion, I was merely stating it isn't greens all the way.
Maybe HSS (High Speed Services) and West Drivers should swap for a day and then see... **

**Yeah not possible I know route knowledge etc..
gaf71

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2008, 03:27:27 »

try working a rush hour train from exmouth into exeter or vice versa, packed to the roof, 2 minutes between stops, lots of unmanned stations without TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s. Expected to operate doors safely and check tickets after every stop, because there are also request stops. Some HSS (High Speed Services) guards would not stand a chance! Where's the buffet and my nice cuppa?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 03:31:11 by gaf71 » Logged
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 07:07:05 »

Excuse my attitude, but that is exactly the attitude that gets me! It seems that because you work a bigger train, and go to London, you think you should get more!

But, at the end of the day, HSS (High Speed Services)/Local both:
MAke sure the train is safe,
Deal with the passengers,
Sell Tickets,
Book on,
Sign off.

So whats the difference, why shouldn't they get the same amounts?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:08:49 by Jim » Logged

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2008, 07:19:48 »

Gentlemen (or ladies and gentlemen!)

It seems to me as someone who sees what you do from the customer side that there are many similarities and some differences - some differences making the HST (High Speed Train) crew's job the more demanding, others making the Local job more demanding .... e.g. a higher customer count v a higher number of station stops.  And, no, I couldn't (myself) say if these things even out or not.  Let's discuss them by all means, but let's not turn it into a competition where everyone tries to come up with winners and loosers; ALL roles / services are vital and there simply is no competition!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: