Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:42:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compensation for disruption on 6th October  (Read 12475 times)
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« on: October 22, 2014, 14:27:34 »

So I saw a poster at Maidenhead station last week stating that season ticket holders would be receiving letters regarding compensation for the disruption on October 6th.  I hadn't received a letter so I emailed customer services, who replied that it is being treated as a void day.  I can:

1) get an additional day added at renewal
2) extend existing season ticket by 1 day
3) get a cash refund.

I have to provide my season ticket (monthly or longer) valid for 6th October to get the compensation.  However I have renewed my season ticket since then and, as no one said at the time, I disposed of the  old one.  I wasn't offered any of the above at the time of renewal.   The poster implies they have a record of everyone who held a season ticket for that day (although maybe not as I havn't received a letter yet).  I contacted customer services again, but they were quite adamant - no proof of travel on 6th October, no compensation.

They have my address, they have my photocard number which is printed on every monthly season ticket I buy, they give me the regular 5% discount on renewal of the ticket so there must be a link between every ticket I buy, so FGW (First Great Western) must know that I had a ticket valid for that day, but no, no ticket no compensation.  Catch 22.

So my advice is don't throw away your ticket and does anyone have any advice how I can claim?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 16:48:26 by sanfrandragon » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 17:00:33 »

The same thing happened last winter.. void days.. The ticket lady at Maidenhead just automatically added the extra days to my ticket when I renewed and I am pretty sure it wasn't the first renewal after the disruption but the second one so you may be ok as I wasn't renewing the ticket that was in use at the time of the disruption.

I've not had a letter yet either btw so maybe they are still on the way
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 18:33:34 »

I renewed my monthly season ticket today.. The void day was added on the end though that wasn't communicated to me at all.. I've still not had a letter either  Roll Eyes
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 18:11:49 »

I renewed my monthly season ticket today.. The void day was added on the end though that wasn't communicated to me at all.. I've still not had a letter either  Roll Eyes

Haven't had a letter, renewed my season ticket today and no void day added.......am I surprised? Not really  Angry
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 18:27:02 »

Today I asked for, and received, the six void days I was owed so far this year - credited back to the card with which I bought my season ticket.  Less than 10 minutes, one form, a couple more signatures, and Bob's my auntie's partner.  The time even included reprinting a rather faded ticket as well.

Top marks to FGW (First Great Western)'s young man at Cholsey today - thank-you very much!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 18:35:39 »

Haven't had a letter, renewed my season ticket today and no void day added.......am I surprised? Not really  Angry

They appeared to be making a note of season ticket holders they'd given the void days to though it was rather a manual paper and pen based system
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 18:58:00 »

In this paart Oxfordshire - they got 'puters !   Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 19:01:46 »

Ha ha they did type something extra into their 'puter it has to be fair (probably adding the extra day to my monthly ticket) but also had to write it down with good old pen and paper (I am guessing the 'puter doesn't have a terribly good memory)

But since they didn't actually telling me they were doing it.. it's hard to tell   Grin Grin
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 09:10:58 »

Update!

I have finally received the general letter from FGW (First Great Western) offering me a refund or extension by presenting a valid ticket - no explanation if this means my current season ticket or a ticket valid for travel on the day of disruption though.  Clearly there is a database linking season tickets to addresses.

Meanwhile, in response to my initial complaint that I was told a refund couldn't be issued as I didn't have the original ticket valid on the day of disruption, I received a letter offering a Rail Travel Voucher for the value of the void day as a 'gesture of goodwill' if I sent in a copy of my current season ticket.

In retrospect I jumped the gun in asking for a refund before I had received the general letter, but the disruption was on 6th October, and I received the letter on 10th November (although it was dated 'October 2014').

So it seems that there is an audit trail linking season tickets, their renewal, and home addresses although when I originally called to make the claim I was clearly told several times 'no ticket valid on the day of disruption, no refund'.

Anyway, the matter is resolved to my satisfaction, but needlessly time-consuming and over-complicated.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 14:51:31 by sanfrandragon » Logged
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:43:29 »

The inconsistency in this company is astonishing. I haven't received a letter about the void day, nor was anything added to my renewal this morning. Additionally, the 5 days (I think it was?) from earlier in the year - I DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) receive a letter about that, but completely forgot all about it by the time I renewed the following month, but thinking back, nothing was added to that either. So thats 6 days I haven't claimed for this year (because I didn't do it), yet others have had it done automatically!

I'm not surprised - I guess they rely on people like me (buying the expensive tickets "just in case" and failing to claim compensation) to make money  Cheesy
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 15:09:22 »

I also received the letter in November dated October, and had almost given up on it.
I went to Maidenhead Ticket office and needed to get a replacement paper ticket, as my had worn.
The lady there said it was in respect of a Void day.
Where there any other voids days I asked (knowing about the floods in Feb), and she said yese there were.
Anyway, long story short, a refund processed for ^70 odd quid and happy was I.
WE
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 16:36:50 »

Ha ha they did type something extra into their 'puter it has to be fair (probably adding the extra day to my monthly ticket) but also had to write it down with good old pen and paper (I am guessing the 'puter doesn't have a terribly good memory)

But since they didn't actually telling me they were doing it.. it's hard to tell   Grin Grin

I renewed my season ticket but the void day wasn't added, nor have I had the much vaunted letter - this really is unacceptable as FGW (First Great Western) has the details of all season ticket holders and so it should be a straightforward process

I think this demonstrates how wrong it is that customers have to make the effort to make a claim, FGW is no doubt relying on apathy to avoid its obligations.....people on this forum tend to be better informed about their rights, I suspect lack of knowledge has saved FGW a fortune over the years in this respect when they should be more proactive.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 19:10:23 »

I finally received my letter last week. What really grated with me was the language used, which casually described the void day "as a gesture of goodwill". Grrrrr.

If they want to see a gesture of goodwill its the fact I haven't returned it wrapped around a brick.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: