19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 01:13:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cycle Track Could Become Bus Route  (Read 6864 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2008, 17:13:37 »

Stretches of the path running along a former railway line from Emersons Green into Bristol city centre could be used for a Bus Rapid Transport (BRT (Bus Rapid Transit)) or "guided bus" route - which could then continue out to Bristol International Airport (link below.)
http://thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=144913&command=displayContent&sourceNode=231190&home=yes&more_nodeId1=144922&contentPK=19590097

At the moment, the route is popular with cyclists, joggers and people who want to enjoy some tranquility.

But they could end up sharing it with futuristic hybrid fuel buses if the BRT plan goes ahead.

Concerned cyclists have organised a public meeting on Tuesday, February 5, to discuss the proposals.

It would be fair to say that this proposal has really split transport campaigners.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 18:00:56 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 17:53:01 »

If it was done properly, and extended to bristol airport on a fairly requent basis, i could see it working incredibly well!

however the airport have invested a lot of money in the flyer service, woukd that get canned as a result?

The airport really could do with a rail link though, but i think thats probably never going to happen
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 17:56:12 by Shazz » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 20:39:40 »

Almost impossible, as the airport is much higher than the main line, so the gradient would be impossibly steep I think you'll find. 
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 20:44:46 »

Perhaps a cliff railway, like Lynton and Lynmouth?  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:38:20 »

Almost impossible, as the airport is much higher than the main line, so the gradient would be impossibly steep I think you'll find. 

Tunnels, put it underground like LHR etc has Wink
John R

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 17:01:50 »

That only worked with 40m air passengers and a premium fare to pay for the cost (though I suspect that's long since been recovered). Also, I think you would find the rail terminal would be rather deep at the airport, which would presumably cause lots of issues. And of course the line would have to be electrified, as diesel trains into a dead end tunnel has its own challenges.

Of course the real problem is that the obvious choice of an airport for Bristol at Filton (no overflying of houses 20 years ago, next to M4/M5 and next to the railway) was not taken up. So we're left with an inconvienently sited airport which is first to close because of fog or snow being on top of the hill. Still, it shows that it's not only the railways that suffer from poor decisions and have to live with the consequences for years to come.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 17:11:10 »

Good point, John!

(Well, several good points, actually  Grin)

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 13:44:19 »

Give it a few more years and bristol will need some sort of a rail link (even if its a shuttle bus from backwell, and significant investment is placed there)

With the mass expansion of ryanair, supposedly bringing an extra million and a half passengers next year, And taking the airport close to 8 million passengers a year the road cant be far off bursting point...
John R

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 20:16:10 »

Well Nailsea & Backwell is only 10 minutes from the Airport, and a coach link from there would  be more reliable than getting in and out of Bristol, particularly in the rush hour. Unfortunately it would have to complement the existing Flyer coach link from Bristol, as it would be a retrograde step to replace a through coach service from Central Bristol, with a rail/coach link. That will make it less viable. Also, the station is not well suited to such an interchange, and its position on an embankment would make the necessary changes very expensive.

So much as I would like the idea, particularly if it attracted XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) to stop at Nailsea, I can't see it happening somehow, and in truth if funds were available there would probably be more worthy investment projects, such as the Portishead line.     
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 21:18:26 »

Well, funding wise i'm sure the Mcquire bank who own Bristol airport will spend x amount of millions making peoples lives easier/ giving them an alternative to get to the airport.

As it's in there best interests to do so, and may even attract a greater range of services.

as lets face it, it only cost ^4mil to completely revamp parkway to an unrecognisable level. Wouldnt cost a lot more to do the same to there.

Platform extension, platform covers, some form of booking hall, and a car park extension/ an area for a shuttle bus

Or they could always build a completely new station in the local area...
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 21:20:42 »

Not if it makes my 5 minute walk any longer!! Anyway, the station's ideally placed for both communities it serves.   
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 21:42:28 »

Platform extension, platform covers, some form of booking hall, and a car park extension/ an area for a shuttle bus

But that would completely spoil the quaint olde worlde charm of our lovely station!  Look at this: http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk/images/nailsea10.jpg .

All that's missing is the tumbleweed blowing across the track and Charles Bronson playing a harmonica on Platform 1 as the Weston train pulls out ... !

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: