17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:10 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 18:10:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[72] Where have I been?
[70] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[66] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Death of another bus station?
[53] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Dunster by Candlelight (OFF): December 06, 2014
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dunster by Candlelight - special train on Saturday 6 December 2014 - CANCELLED  (Read 12216 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: November 05, 2014, 11:09:32 »

From the First Great Western press release:

Dunster by Candlelight

SPECIAL TRAIN - SATURDAY 6 DECEMBER 2014

Helping customers to attend the Dunster by Candlelight event at Dunster in West Somerset, First Great Western is to operate a special train from Bristol Temple Meads, calling at principle stations via Weston-super-Mare, Bridgwater and Taunton.

The event on, Saturday 6 December, sees the village streets lit by candlelight and the centre transformed into a traditional market accompanied by Christmas themed entertainment including: carol singers; Morris dancers; hand bell ringers; a large fairground organ and the parish church choir.

First Great Western will offer one direct return service to Dunster, departing from Bristol Temple Meads early afternoon and returning from Dunster in the late evening, over the West Somerset Railway. 

Ticket prices for Standard Class return travel will be ^29.50 for an adult and ^14.75 for a child (aged 5 to 15 years), with Family Tickets also available for ^75.50 (2 adults and 2 children) First Class travel options are also available. 

See https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Destinations/Events-and-Attractions/Dunster-by-Candlelight for full details and to make bookings.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 19:07:32 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 15:28:54 »

Having booked this yesterday at 1129, by 1757 I've had a message to say that it's now been cancelled. Lack of numbers maybe?  Angry
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 16:20:37 »

It's still being advertised on the FGW (First Great Western) website.  Only if you click, 'Buy Tickets' do you learn of the cancellation. Roll Eyes

Off to social media to let 'em know.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 20:05:42 »

I was booked on this, thankfully my hotel was refundable  Roll Eyes

on the plus side if you did manage to book it you now get 50% off a future tour
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 20:11:25 »

The email I got from FGW (First Great Western) doesn't mention the 50% off a future tour (but how many tours do they do, so it is really worth much?).
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 20:32:41 »

My guess would be lack of numbers. You would need a good show of interest to fill an HST (High Speed Train) to make it pay for itself.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 17:21:16 »

It's still being advertised on the FGW (First Great Western) website.  Only if you click, 'Buy Tickets' do you learn of the cancellation. Roll Eyes

Off to social media to let 'em know.
Still on the FGW website AND I've just received FGW's latest 'Escape' e-newsletter and it's on there as well. Clearly one part of the FGW empire is not speaking to the other part.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 17:30:06 »

I've pointed it out to FGW (First Great Western) Facebook and @FGW againRoll Eyes

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 18:55:00 »

Reply on Facebook after I posted:

... and in the last hour I get the December 'escape' FGW (First Great Western) e-newsletter advertising guess what?

Have the Communications team started early on Christmas Sherry?

Hi,

Firstly, thank you for pointing our that the "Dunster by Candlelight" is no longer running and that it is still be advertised on our website and by our Marketing Team. Although your earlier comments have now been passed to Marketing and Web Support managers, they do have various duties to balance at any one time and as such they simply may not have had time to amend the website yet.

That being said, I realise hat this does not create the best impression, so I have contacted them again. Please rest assured that they will amend this as soon as possible, but that it may not be with immediate effect.

Again, thank you for contacting me and bringing this to my attention,

Dave

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 19:24:17 »

Without wishing to detract from this thread.. "balancing duties" appears to be an FGW (First Great Western) excuse that is starting to appear that I've not seen before.. It was used on me (on twitter) the other day for a reason a train alteration (that impacted quite a lot of people) wasn't shown on journeycheck.. Or maybe I'm just being cynical  Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 20:06:13 »

It doesn't but take but a minute to go into your website back office to switch off a webpage, so sorry FGW (First Great Western) not buying that one. I'm sure more than one person at FGW has access to their website back office.

Regards the e-newsletter. I guess it would depend when the decision was taken last week to cancel the train to Dunster. But ideally the newsletter should have been 'pulled' today had someone informed the marketing team that the train was no longer running.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 20:16:39 »

Depends on who controls various pages of their site, some of which is handled by external agency(s).
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 21:38:57 »

and journeycheck also ChrisB?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 21:48:44 »

Was it bring advertised there as well?
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 22:34:29 »

Not the issue I mentioned no.. Due to "other duties"  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: