Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:12:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: SDO............why the discrepancies  (Read 33542 times)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2008, 18:32:03 »

The thing is, if they stop HSTs (High Speed Train) with the rear power car on the platform for some stations, how to people get their bikes if they loaded them onto the front power car at an earlier station, where the rear car was not on the platform (and no, there has not been a full length platform to swap!)? Angry

e.g.

Loading bike at Evesham- not full length but pretty long so front car platfromed.

Getting off at Charlbury- shorter, so rear car platformed.

They need to be consistent. Make a decision, either all front or all back cars platformed.

For people on the Golden Valley Line, the reversal at Gloucester does not help! Wink

----------------------
Hear Hear Hear HEar Hear Hear Hear

Grin I am glad that I am not the only one who is concerned......
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 18:34:22 by Btline » Logged
willc

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2008, 01:13:40 »

They need to be consistent. Make a decision, either all front or all back cars platformed

My understanding is that once new stop markers are out and all train crew have been briefed, it will always be standard class coaches on short platforms, thus including coach A with its bike storage area, unless there is a very good operational reason why it can't be - eg signal positions, I think Saltash was mentioned in this connection earlier in the thread. Stick a great big bike symbol on coach A and I think most people will take the hint.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2008, 01:40:05 »

At the moment, they are still putting out new stop markers for drivers at stations and briefing staff, so unless the train is one of a handful covered by the 'trial' of what they always used to do, eg the two Abergavenny/Hereford to London morning peak trains and, I think, some Nailsea trains, the chances are that an HST (High Speed Train) will still stop first class on if heading towards London.

Thanks, willc!

The 0944 Nailsea to Bristol Temple Meads on Thursday morning did stop with the leading first class well beyond the platform at Nailsea - but it had run in quite slowly, as there were two chaps in conspicuity coats apparently placing two or three new stop markers on the trackside?  I'll have another look later this morning and try to work out what that's all about!

C.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2008, 14:47:34 »

But I assume there will still be problems like I suggested above, caused by signal limitations, track layout etc.

What happens if someone gets off, and their bike is in the power car/guards van, which is off the platform?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2008, 14:58:46 »

But I assume there will still be problems like I suggested above, caused by signal limitations, track layout etc.

What happens if someone gets off, and their bike is in the power car/guards van, which is off the platform?

I think that's what happened on the early morning Paddington to Swansea that I was on the other week, which reverses in Temple Meads and calls at Abbey Wood ... stopped with the front in the platform, discussion between customer and train crew, train pulls forward and makes a second stop.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2008, 15:03:55 »

I think that's what happened on the early morning Paddington to Swansea that I was on the other week, which reverses in Temple Meads and calls at Abbey Wood ... stopped with the front in the platform, discussion between customer and train crew, train pulls forward and makes a second stop.

I knew there must be at least one example of this having to happen.

This is not good! Affected stations need to have platform extensions as a priority. FGWs (First Great Western) franchise is on the line- and it does not give good publicity (of the introduction of HSTs (High Speed Train) to short platforms).

The only other thing they could do, is rip out a toilet and put in a "temporary" bike space, for people to store cycles for the final/first stretch of their journey after/before they switch it from/to a power car.

But ripping out yet another toilet will not go down well!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 15:06:36 by Btline » Logged
willc

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2008, 23:11:38 »

Quote from: grahame on Today at 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: Btline on Today at 02:47:34 PM

I think the Saltashes really are exceptional cases - there aren't enough about to cause serious problems and train crews will, I'm sure, be wise to them and warn people well in advance. In future it will be standard class on the platform at almost every station, irrespective of whether the HST (High Speed Train) is in correct or reverse formation, so I can't see there being great difficulties, given that cyclists will be advised to use the TGS and the adjacent power car stowage area at all times.

The stop-start-stop scenario Grahame mentions was seen on the Cotswold Line in the past with reverse rake HSTs, as there were no stop markers beyond the platform ends in the Worcester direction, so the TGS (then the only bike stowage area) would be off the far end. The guards would get passengers off, before using buzzer signals to tell the driver to crawl forward, then when to stop with the back end of the train on the platform so the cyclists could get their bikes off.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2008, 00:30:17 »

The stop-start-stop scenario Grahame mentions was seen on the Cotswold Line in the past with reverse rake HSTs (High Speed Train), as there were no stop markers beyond the platform ends in the Worcester direction, so the TGS (then the only bike stowage area) would be off the far end. The guards would get passengers off, before using buzzer signals to tell the driver to crawl forward, then when to stop with the back end of the train on the platform so the cyclists could get their bikes off.

I also saw that 'forward a bit ... forward a bit ... STOP!' on the west-bound HSTs at Nailsea a couple of times, in the early days of SDO (Selective Door Opening) ...  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Btline

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2008, 17:01:54 »

Yes, but I expect that even with all the slack in the timetable, this delays services!

Oh well- it should be over soon.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2008, 17:32:38 »

I hope so. I've noticed that the 0811 from Nailsea has reverted to having First class platformed this week.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2008, 18:00:32 »

I've noticed that the 0811 from Nailsea has reverted to having First class platformed this week.

Ah, thanks, John!  That will perhaps explain this, then:

The 0944 Nailsea to Bristol Temple Meads on Thursday morning did stop with the leading first class well beyond the platform at Nailsea - but it had run in quite slowly, as there were two chaps in conspicuity coats apparently placing two or three new stop markers on the trackside?

Cheesy

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2008, 23:06:32 »

However ... the 0944 from Nailsea to Bristol this morning (delayed 15 mins due to 'adverse weather conditions between Teignmouth and Dawlish', apparently!) also stopped with the leading first class carriages well beyond the platform. The two 'new?' stop markers that I noted, by the way, are in the right place for such positioning: one for 2+7 and the other for 2+8.

I must say, it does seem a bit inconsistent, still?  Huh

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2008, 23:09:18 »

So far I haven't seen any new briefings about changes to what was originally announced, I would assume any service that is not doing what was previously briefed is on a trial basis.

Either that or us staff at Paddington don't get to find out.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2008, 23:15:18 »

What are the "2+7" markers for?

I thought FGW (First Great Western) decided to run 8 coaches only, or were they put in before the decision was made?
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2008, 23:27:35 »

This morning - the 0632 WOS» (Worcester Shrub Hill - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was stopping first class platformed - the TM(resolve) was not one I recognised -was like trying to sit and work on platform 1 of paddington !

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: