Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:35:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: The toll of young men on Melksham's roads  (Read 16669 times)
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 09:08:26 »

There are more details given in the Daily Mail article, which I won't quote as it is quite lengthy: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2880966/Teenage-drink-driver-jailed-killing-father-three-complete-248-mile-charity-bike-ride.html

I personally don't think any new laws would prevent this happening again.  The only solution is to change attitudes.  We've managed to do that with seatbelts, hopefully people will learn sooner or later that drink driving is unacceptable.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 20:25:18 »

I also personally do not think that lowering the limit would reduce deaths or accidents; most drivers who have accidents due to alcohol are already (well) over the present limit. A lower limit would simply mean that they would be over the new limit by a greater amount. Only with a progressive change in attitude and driver responsibility will the accident numbers fall.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 20:32:06 »

I also personally do not think that lowering the limit would reduce deaths or accidents; most drivers who have accidents due to alcohol are already (well) over the present limit. A lower limit would simply mean that they would be over the new limit by a greater amount. Only with a progressive change in attitude and driver responsibility will the accident numbers fall.

But are they breaking the limit because they believe they can have a few and still be under the limit?
If the limit is low, will they still take that risk of thinking a few are still under the limit.
When I was 18/19 I had in my head that 2 pints was just under the limit. So if I had the car I had 2 pints. Now I wouldn't dream of it!

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 20:58:27 »

I am probably biased, but I have had two car accidents.  Both involved uninsured drunk drivers.  As a result of the second one my vision is affected and I can no longer drive.

To add insult to injury a third uninsured drunk driver then crashed into my house.

In most people's minds drinking and driving is unacceptable, but there is still a small minority who ignore the warnings, the guidelines and the laws.  I believe they will attempt to drive come what may.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2015, 18:32:55 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Two charged over Melksham fatal crash

Two men have been charged with causing death by dangerous driving after a road crash that killed a teenager from Melksham.

Max Lewis, 19, was killed on 15 November, in Forest Lane near Melksham.

Julian Drew, 26, and Connor Forrester, 18, who are both from the local area, have been remanded in custody.

A third man, aged 22, has also been summonsed to court to face a charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

The 22-year-old had been interviewed by detectives but had not been arrested, Wiltshire Police said.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2015, 18:50:42 »

There must be more to it if they are remanded in custody?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2015, 19:03:00 »

One car, one driver but three charged?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 19:30:12 »

I wont speculate with this incident, but there was a similar thing with an incident down here in Cornwall about 2-3 years ago.

One car crashed, but on investigation the police discovered the fatally crashed car, was "racing" 3 other cars. Even those cars didn't crash they were prosecuted for causing death, I cant remember whether it was dangerous or careless though.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2015, 19:43:52 »

Police appealed for the drivers of two cars which did not stop at the scene to contact them. "Three cars were travelling towards Melksham in close proximity to each other," said PC Peter Williamson, from Wiltshire Police. "When the Saxo was involved in the collision, the other two cars did not stop at the scene. It is imperative that the drivers of the two cars come forward as soon as possible to assist us with our enquiries."

There are your three driversLips sealed
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 19:51:11 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 01:03:44 »

Melksham crash: Driver guilty of causing Max Lewis' death

The driver of a car that crashed, killing a 19-year-old passenger, has been convicted of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving.

Max Lewis was a passenger in a Citroen Saxo when it collided with a van near Melksham, in Wiltshire, on 15 November.

Driver, Dan Palmer, 23, from Melksham, pleaded guilty to causing his death at Swindon Crown Court. He was acquitted of causing death by dangerous driving.

He was bailed to return to the court at a later date for sentencing.

Connor Forrester, 19, and Julian Drew, 26, both from Melksham, also faced a charge of causing death by dangerous driving but were acquitted.

Forrester was convicted of dangerous driving and Drew, who was acquitted of dangerous driving, faces a hearing at a later date for offences of disqualified driving.

Following the trial Sgt Barrie Card, from Wiltshire Police, said speed had been a "factor in this collision".

"This incident shows that driving too fast can have tragic consequences," he said. "There was no need for this incident along a quiet country road on a Saturday afternoon."

Penzance-Paddington

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 15:10:54 »

I think this thread is in the wrong place. It belongs in 'The West but not the West's trains' section.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: