09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
10:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 09:12:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 461859 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 28, 2017, 18:07:31 »

Last of the Electrostars aka 387's rolls off of the production line, after 18 year production run

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/last-ever-electrostar-finished-in-derby-as-18-years-of-production-come-to-an-end

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 28, 2017, 19:29:16 »

If the last one made is destined for GWR (Great Western Railway), maybe it could be called 'Evening Electrostar'  Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 30, 2017, 11:10:26 »

Reports in wnxx suggest there has been 387 test train running overnight between Reading and Didcot.   The RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) site showed a long stop at Goring in each direction, perhaps they were checking the platform interface or something similar...

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 30, 2017, 12:27:48 »

Well I hope that isn't the final timetable as the Oxford - Didcot service in the late afternoon is worse than the current timetable.

Currently we have services at 1637, 1707, 1737, 1807, 1837, 1909
the new timetable seems to be 1637, 1707, 1752, 1825, 1906.

Looks like some tinkering has been done as new timetable now looks like being 16:37, 17:07, 17:35, 18:10, 18:25 and 19:06.  The 17:07 and 18:10 continue through serving local stops to Reading.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
janes

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 30, 2017, 12:39:47 »

Really annoyed about the new timetable as it looks like there will be NO direct stoppers from Ealing Broadway to Tilehurst whatsoever during the entire evening peak (it was bad enough already with only the 17:33, 18:20 and 18:33 to choose from!)

There's a slight improvement in the morning with an extra direct train at 7:53 though, but this does not help me in the evening - it is massively inconvenient for me to have to worry about changing trains if I have commitments in the evening I need to get to - it adds a whole extra layer of uncertainty, particularly in times of disruption.

Why do they seem to think that everyone from the Oxford stoppers wants to go to/from either Reading or Paddington - we don't!
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 30, 2017, 12:49:05 »

Really annoyed about the new timetable as it looks like there will be NO direct stoppers from Ealing Broadway to Tilehurst whatsoever during the entire evening peak (it was bad enough already with only the 17:33, 18:20 and 18:33 to choose from!)

Why do they seem to think that everyone from the Oxford stoppers wants to go to/from either Reading or Paddington - we don't!

Might as well get used to it now, when Crossrail takes over we will have no choice but to change at Reading if you are not going to Paddington as far as I understood  Huh Angry
janes

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 30, 2017, 12:59:37 »

Yes I am really looking forward to having to sit sideways in a cattle truck with no toilet facilities that stops at even more places than the current trains do - either that or go to Paddington in a Sardine can and then have to change there to get back to Ealing (NOT!)

Just don't see why this is in any way "better" than what we have now - why can't they bring back the semi-fasts with stops at Twyford, Maidenhead, Slough, Hayes OR Southall (but not both on the same train), and Ealing Broadway? (I thought that was the original idea)? Either that or stop some of the express trains at Ealing Broadway as well as Paddington (as with the fast Southern services that stop at East Croydon &/or Clapham Junction & Victoria for example)?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #652 on: November 30, 2017, 13:26:34 »

Then they gave TfL» (Transport for London - about) pathing rights on the relief lines....
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 30, 2017, 13:31:25 »

It's unfortunate for you, janes, I totally understand that, but it's simply a question of juggling around to cater for the biggest markets as best as possible.  How many commuters go from Thames Valley stations to Ealing Broadway, and how many continue through to Paddington?  I would guess the Paddington number is at least 10 times that of the Ealing number.  

If you are a Thames Valley station to Paddington commuter you will now have a much better direct fast peak service home in the evening.  Currently fast direct trains between 4-8pm leave at 17:18, 17:38, 18:18 and 19:18.  From January that becomes 16:49, 17:18, 17:49, 18:19, 18:48, 19:18 and 19:35.  A much better service, all with 8-car 387 (except the 17:18) Turbo, and I think one or two of them might be 12-car (with rear 4 locked out at Reading).  That has the benefit of providing a direct service at a memorable frequency that people will use, rather than the choice of a very slow through service or (as most do now) a risky change at Reading if you don't happen to time it right for one of the through faster trains.  It also has the benefit of reducing the number of people cramming onto the non-stop Paddington to Reading services in order to change there.

Semi-fasts post Crossrail was the original idea, and should still happen off-peak, however it looks as if Crossrail will be taking over all of those paths in the peak.  That again has its benefits as well as drawbacks.  Stopping anything on the main line at Ealing Broadway will absolutely kill track capacity on the main lines I'm afraid.  One of the other benefits of this regular Paddington to Thames Valley stations service is that it will reduce the number of peak time stops on the main line platforms at Maidenhead and Twyford which also eat into track capacity.

A classic case of upsetting a few to benefit many.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 30, 2017, 15:12:46 »

Are there two types of 387's? Looking at those evening down peak semi-fasts they are pathed as 100 mph EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) with first and second class.  The up peak services in the morning are described as 90 mph EMUs with standard class only.

Or is this like the current Turbo fiction since they removed the first class from the 165s but not the 166s, but then mix them up anyway?
janes

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 30, 2017, 15:14:22 »

Yes so now I have to put up with the risky change at Reading in the evening! Either that or go into Paddington and back out. (Again risky) or leave the office at the ridiculously early time of 16:20 or stay at work until 19:20.

BTW (by the way) it isn't just about Ealing Broadway - a large number of people also go between the local stations to Oxford & Slough, and as far as I can see they have been screwed over as well.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 30, 2017, 15:41:22 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) should bugger off back to London and leave the TV trains alone.

Edit: its not even about the risky change for me. Its the getting on and off in the cold, the wet, the delays on one train causing headaches with others, the extra time to and from work, the fact I wont have enough time on either leg, in or out, to do anything (by the time I get one, get settled, it will be time to get off again etc etc. Even when I do go into London, I still always get a stopper for the convenience of NOT changing.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 15:48:08 by lordgoata » Logged
janes

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 30, 2017, 15:55:12 »

Exactly, Lordgoata!

It is all of the above for me as well. I have got used to putting up with it in the morning, as at least any changes are on the same platform. What will make it so much worse is now having in all probability to add crossing between platforms to the inconvenience.

Jane
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 30, 2017, 18:22:30 »

I see that a test unit has broken-down on the Down Relief on the country end of Goring.  Is causing chaos for Pangbourne passengers.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 30, 2017, 19:00:13 »

I see that a test unit has broken-down on the Down Relief on the country end of Goring.  Is causing chaos for Pangbourne passengers.

Just to clarify, it wasn't the 387 that failed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: