I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:50:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 459739 times)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2016, 18:59:22 »

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here but once Crossrail is up and running what will be the purpose of the bay?  I thought I read that West Drayton was going to be the start/end of peak short workings. 

Perturbation, in the event the Heathrow branch is blocked it allows Heathrow trains to terminate and reverse.  Also if there is an incident further west on the Reliefs it will also allow Crossrail trains to terminate and reverse

Thanks to both you and II for the clarification. It appears a bit OTT (Open Train Times website) given there will be the ability to reverse just one station up the line, if its sole use (post 2019) will be as insurance against perturbation.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2016, 19:20:46 »

Given how intensively the line will be used some insurance against perturbation would seem to be a necessity.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2016, 10:20:49 »

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here but once Crossrail is up and running what will be the purpose of the bay?  I thought I read that West Drayton was going to be the start/end of peak short workings. 

Perturbation, in the event the Heathrow branch is blocked it allows Heathrow trains to terminate and reverse.  Also if there is an incident further west on the Reliefs it will also allow Crossrail trains to terminate and reverse

Thanks to both you and II for the clarification. It appears a bit OTT (Open Train Times website) given there will be the ability to reverse just one station up the line, if its sole use (post 2019) will be as insurance against perturbation.

It seems a recent addition, the early Crossrail GW (Great Western) 'single line track diagram', that I downloaded quite a few years ago now, don't show any work at Hayes and Harlington station itself.  (Indeed it doesn't even show the 5th platform there at all.)

Paul
W5tRailfinder

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2016, 15:04:27 »

I have added a topic on the Thames Valley branches board an item relating to the impact of the introduction of Class 387 on the Greenford Branch services.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2016, 11:32:04 »

I'm hearing that the plan is to operate four extra trains between Hayes and Paddington, using 387s, from the May timetable change.  One in the morning and three in the evening. 

I'm getting less and less confident that the May introduction will happen, given that we haven't received any of the trains yet and their is no agreement yet in place with the unions on a training programme which will allow the drivers to be trained on them and drive them.  Meetings this week I hear, but time is running out!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
The Tall Controller

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2016, 12:48:27 »

Talks are in progress with another operator to fill the void should the 387s be delayed. As it currently stands though, 387s are due to be running from May.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2016, 14:06:18 »

Aren't the first of the class 700s starting passenger services from April 16th, I assumed that this would then free up a couple of 387s to head our way, giving them a month or so to practice with them and repaint (stick some GWR (Great Western Railway) vinyls on)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2016, 14:27:20 »

The ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) training specials were due to start running as of tomorrow, so if that's delayed by long, or no training agreement is reached soon, then there won't be time.  There will have to be a pool of at least 10 drivers trained to operate the planned services from May, all of which will have to be released and trained for several days without causing too many cancellations as a result of the Rest Day ban.  As well as the staffing concerns there are presumably all sorts of safety/operational cases to make as well before GWR (Great Western Railway) are allowed to run them?  Like I say, time will quickly run out.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2016, 14:28:52 »

The franchise agreement had six arriving by end of March, and four more by end of April.  They aren't significantly late on those dates yet.

GTR are already using unbranded red coloured Gat Ex 387/2s on their Thameslink routes vice 387/1s while some 387/1s are away being modified - it could be that there's a simple solution to their required numbers that involves retention of a few 442s for a few months longer than planned.

Paul
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2016, 18:37:02 »

They appear to be planning some running before the month is out:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V12179/2016/04/26/advanced
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2016, 20:19:09 »

The ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) training specials were due to start running as of tomorrow, so if that's delayed by long, or no training agreement is reached soon, then there won't be time.  There will have to be a pool of at least 10 drivers trained to operate the planned services from May, all of which will have to be released and trained for several days without causing too many cancellations as a result of the Rest Day ban.  As well as the staffing concerns there are presumably all sorts of safety/operational cases to make as well before GWR (Great Western Railway) are allowed to run them?  Like I say, time will quickly run out.

I would like to think the gauge clearance, platform stepping, signalling and traction power compatibility etc etc etc certificates oh and the Network Change will have been done by now, if it has not it can a protracted process not something that can be rushed,

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2016, 18:20:50 »

On the assumption that enough Class 387/1^s will arrive to run the new Hayes stoppers from May, but GWR (Great Western Railway) management will not be able to agree Driver training arrangements with ASLEF» (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen - about), is there a possibility that HEX traincrew will be used to run this service?  Presumably crossover training from HEX EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)^s is simpler than from GWR DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit)^s.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2016, 18:21:51 »

Who then drives the Hex trains?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2016, 18:24:06 »

Who then drives the Hex trains?

Presumably he means the ones that normally drive the ones that are stuck in the depot doing nothing while Siemens sorts out how to fix them. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2016, 18:27:33 »

Aren't they back in service? Think they are....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: