Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:04:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 459716 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2016, 10:40:43 »

The cl 387 hybrids would have batteries and not diesel engines.  Useful for retaining through trains to Bedwyn, for example.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2016, 11:13:07 »

Good heavens, I hadn't thought of batteries, just shows how the technology is progressing.  What range, speed and acceleration are we looking at?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2016, 11:44:44 »

Good heavens, I hadn't thought of batteries, just shows how the technology is progressing.  What range, speed and acceleration are we looking at?

Some discussion on these units and tests at

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=14408

I would be very interested to see some recent stats and thoughts as to what they might cover.   Not only a question of distance on a single charge, but how quick to charge too.  Some Chinese trams are nor running on capacitors - charge at stops and pick up enough juice to get to next stop.   I have also heard suggestions around intermittent electrification along the lines of giving high speed bimodes a boost along the way where there's no expensive infrastructure work needed. And that leads me to think about recharging the Bedwyn service in the turn back siding, or stringing up a bit of spaghetti at Banbury.  No good if there's no a fast charge option ... can you imagine "This train is running 15 minutes late because we've had to stop and charge a flat battery"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2016, 12:08:58 »

I would be very interested to see some recent stats and thoughts as to what they might cover. 

In particular, the results coming out of that Harwich trail - has anyone seen anything? Bright ideas and experiments are one thing, but practical production machinery that will last twenty years or more takes a lot of extra work. Even outside the railways - and we all know how long change takes there. 
John R

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2016, 12:30:54 »

As I understand it they charge when under the wires, so a relatively short journey from Newbury to Bedwyn and back would be fine.  Presumably there would be some indication in the cab to show the remaining mileage, to prevent a service running out of charge a mile from Newbury on the return run and blocking the line.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2016, 15:35:34 »

I don't think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but there is a very confident story in Modern Railways this month that GWR (Great Western Railway) will not be getting the GTR 387's after all, but will be getting 37 brand shiny new units instead. 8 of these are the ones currently under construction, to be followed by the remaining 14 from the Porterbrook speculative build, topped up by an additional order of 15 units. 

Thought I was keeping up with the latest details like this, but obviously not! Just been browsing other sites and they have been saying the same for the past couple of weeks. 37 brand new 387s heading to GWR instead of 8 new and 29 'almost new' ones .

The report also suggests that GWR are cooling on the Class 365s, and would prefer a further build of AT300s.
Bit puzzled why AT300s would be preferred to 365s though?

This is also mentioned. I always thought 37 x 387s and 21 x 365s were a little over the top, bearing in mind the introduction of the 'Crossrails' 345s as well.

A handful more AT300s I feel would be adequate cover for the 'loss' of the 365s. Just as II explains in the following:

The scenario I could see developing is that electrification is being delayed so much that the 377s would be able to cover what diagrams are needed until the Class 345 Elizabeth Line trains start to take over the majority of the suburban services in 2019, when the 377s would then be able to cover delayed electrification routes such as Oxford, so there would be no need for 365s in that event.  Perhaps a few more AT300s could then be obtained to deal with any capacity shortages on the main line services?

I take it you mean 387s?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2016, 15:44:23 »

I take it you mean 387s?

Yes, thanks for the correction.  Embarrassed

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2016, 09:44:44 »

Battery EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)^s may be OK for trundling around Suffolk branches, but are we really saying that a Class 387 on batteries could do, for example, a 26 mile round trip from Newbury to Bedwyn with 2 intermediate stops each way with reasonable acceleration and top speed on what is a 110 mph line?

And in winter there^s lighting and heating to come out of the batteries (unless you^re expected to keep your coat on west of Newbury).

I^m sure someone can calculate the stored energy required: there is of course a gentle falling gradient from Bedwyn to Newbury so a stranded 387 could maybe coast back to Newbury!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2016, 10:18:26 »

Battery EMU (Electric Multiple Unit)^s may be OK for trundling around Suffolk branches, but are we really saying that a Class 387 on batteries could do, for example, a 26 mile round trip from Newbury to Bedwyn with 2 intermediate stops each way with reasonable acceleration and top speed on what is a 110 mph line?

I think the answer is that here on the forum we don't know.

We do know that Aberdeen to Ballater was 41 miles where the previous generation tried out a battery electric multiple unit.  Judging by the reports, there was (only) a charging station at each end and I see no reports / suggestions of it running out of juice during the run.

Top speed is a bit of a pink mackerel - with 6 miles, 3 miles and 5 miles between stops you're hardly likely to need something that reaches line speed for the local service.   Showing a clean pair of heels on leaving stops is important, though!

Could be we haven't heard too much about how the Harwich trial went because it was a flop.  On the other hand it could have been so successful that the commercial companies supporting it are keeping quiet to stay ahead of the game while they come up with a production-standard product.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2016, 12:43:09 »

A battery EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) could perhaps enable GWR (Great Western Railway)'s stated ambition to extend London to Oxford trains onto Hanborough as at present there is no intention to electrify byond Wolvercote
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2016, 13:24:26 »

A battery EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) could perhaps enable GWR (Great Western Railway)'s stated ambition to extend London to Oxford trains onto Hanborough as at present there is no intention to electrify byond Wolvercote

Ranging from the more obvious to the exotic ... some shorter distances off the to-be-electrified lines include:
Banbury
Basingstoke
Bedwyn
Bourne End
Brentford
Clifton Down
Colnbrook
Gatwick (**)
Hanborough
Henbury
Henley
Oxford Parkway
Maesteg (*)
Marlow
Windsor
Yate

* - different operator but GW (Great Western) electrification Cardiff to Bridgend
** - See "3rd Rail extension" discussions

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #236 on: May 30, 2016, 15:44:06 »

Graham, interesting list of possible destinations for Battery operation. however I wonder where some of the units would recharge given that only a short run would be under the wires.

So

Banbury yes through from Padd.
Basingstoke? Recharge Reading station not enough time?
Bedwyn yes through from Reading/Padd
Bourne End? through from Padd only
Brentford? recharge Southall? Parry People mover?
Clifton Down? recharge Temple Meads enough time?
Colnbrook could be served by Crossrail from their West Drayton terminators but their trains don't have batteries or toilets!
Gatwick (**) If 3 rail charging although whether Ash Shalford Jn would be enough to recharge to Reigate having done Wokingham  Ash.
Hanborough yes through from Padd
Henbury? would run to Filton be enough to charge?
Henley? through from Padd only
Oxford Parkway yes through from Padd/Reading but East West hopefully wired. Maybe they do Cowley Oxford on battery
Maesteg  yes through from Cardiff
Marlow NO needs short units!
Windsor NO where would they recharge? Not enough time at Slough
Yate  yes through from Temple Meads

Is it possible to charge at destinations? A short length of wire perhaps? Although you'd probably need more units and a layby to give enough time on charge. 

That's the problem with Slough - Windsor there's no layby and the turnround on the one unit 20 minute service is four minutes each end.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2016, 15:50:20 »

Basingstoke, Windsor and Henley should be electrified in reasonable timescales and shouldn't really need to be concerned with battery operation.

Paul
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2016, 21:53:50 »

The Seville tram runs through the historic parts on batteries and is charged at some stops as well as through the wired portion. A rather different kind of service though!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2016, 21:59:29 »

The Seville tram runs through the historic parts on batteries and is charged at some stops as well as through the wired portion. A rather different kind of service though!
And indeed the Birmingham trams will do the same in a year or two it was recently announced. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: