Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:47:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 461173 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2016, 23:26:12 »

Adding to Ellendune's comments, but making it more specific to Taplow, they will run possibly from the middle of next year when the line out as far as Maidenhead is electrified.

They will run as 4 or 8 car formations on local services which in terms of numbers of seats (assuming an internal layout as per other 387s) is roughly equivalent to a 2.5 or 5 car Turbo.  The passenger environment is a massive step upwards from a Turbo though with much more room and more tables - similar to Chiltern's Class 168s if you've had the pleasure?  16 doors instead of 10/12 on the longest Turbo formations should mean dwell times at stations improve slightly and the fact they're electric will mean much quicker acceleration and there should be quite a leap forward in reliability.

They will probably only serve Taplow for a couple of years though, as when the Elizabeth Line opens fully in 2019 all trains are likely to be operated by their fleet of all 9-car trains.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2016, 23:30:44 »

Thanks for your detailed update there, IndustryInsider.  Smiley

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2016, 09:22:46 »

As a Taplow user I'm can't wait for the 387s.

Also waiting for the howls of protest when commuters first see the Crossrail cattle trucks
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:00 »

Thanks for your detailed update there, IndustryInsider.  Smiley

Seconded! Many thanks  Smiley
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 29, 2016, 10:50:24 »

According to realtimetrains records there were 3 return runs between Paddington and Airport Jn overnight:

(Paddington (London) - next trains)/2016/07/29/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt" target="_blank">http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/PAD/2016/07/29/0000-2359?stp=S&show=all&order=wtt

There's another run showing as I post this info, but it doesn't seem to be happening, followed by a number of out and back runs to Friars Jn.

I wasn't familiar with "Friars Jn" but it seems to be a trailing crossover DR to UR at 3m 53ch, between Old Oak and Acton.

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2016, 11:12:51 »

Both units currently stabled on different roads in North Pole Depot.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) Friars Junction used to be a slightly grander affair before the layout was modified to leave just the two sets of points. Now just used for access from the Relief Lines to the Reception Line (or whatever it's called).

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:24 »

Also waiting for the howls of protest when commuters first see the Crossrail cattle trucks

Pictures of those awful cattle trucks you talk of!!

https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/758970928294273024
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 29, 2016, 12:49:16 »

Pictures of those awful cattle trucks you talk of!!

https://twitter.com/Clinnick1/status/758970928294273024

They look pretty good, the interior is very reminiscent of the new subsurface LUL (London Underground Ltd) stock with the seating arrangement. While I was sorry to see the A-stock disappear from the metropolitan line, the reality is the new trains are a significant improvement all round and also appear to be much easier to keep clean with the 'lino' type flooring and seats raised off the floor.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 29, 2016, 20:46:07 »

Adding to Ellendune's comments, but making it more specific to Taplow, they will run possibly from the middle of next year when the line out as far as Maidenhead is electrified.

The last time I spoke to a college in the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Crossrail electrification team they said all the wires will be run between Airport Jcn and Maidenhead by the end of November; I assumed he meant 2016 and not 2017  Grin   

There is still quite a bit of steel to go into the ground in places and to put up into the air, I suspect there will be a concerted effort during the Aug bank holiday.  I suspect a lot of the Overhead Linesmen have been deployed between Reading and Didcot of late.

The UK (United Kingdom) does have an acute shortage of Overhead Linesmen, most of the teams I have worked with are from elsewhere in the EU» (European Union - about) they travel here for a few weeks or even just the weekend (not sure how Brexit will effect this type of labour in the future, it is an item on some project risk registers for projects past 2018)

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 29, 2016, 22:42:00 »

The last time I spoke to a college in the NR» (Network Rail - home page) Crossrail electrification team they said all the wires will be run between Airport Jcn and Maidenhead by the end of November; I assumed he meant 2016 and not 2017  Grin   

Yes, I was erring on the side of caution there, but it could be early next year once the electrification is finished and gauging runs and staff training have taken place.  I believe all the wiring should be in place by the end of the year at the latest - well ahead of the revised Hendy dates from NR which is good news.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2016, 14:52:52 »

Seem to be a few daylight test runs going on between Paddington and Airport Jn as of now, Saturday afternoon.   

May be of interest if anyone is in the area.

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2016, 12:18:30 »

Found a reasonable youtube video of 387130 entering and leaving Paddington in daytime:

http://youtu.be/hYHqvQEi21I

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 07, 2016, 15:30:25 »

A driver training agreement between the unions and GWR (Great Western Railway) has finally been reached.  So proper driver training on them will be commencing next week ready for the September launch.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2016, 13:09:19 »

Reports elsewhere that 2 more units (387132 and 133) have been delivered this week, moved separately this time on Monday and Tuesday evenings.

In other news, the magazine Today's Railways UK (United Kingdom) has reported that the GWR (Great Western Railway) fleet will take on the consecutive numbers between 387130 and 387174, and deliveries will be complete in late summer 2017.

Paul
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 20, 2016, 20:23:55 »

As suggested earlier in the thread, GWR (Great Western Railway) have confirmed the first 387 in passenger service will be the 07:15 London Paddington to Hayes & Harlington on the 5th September, returning at 07:48.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: