Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 17:48 Exeter St Davids to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 18:32:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 461171 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2017, 11:08:42 »

Isn't it just the one?

It's none really as Platform 5 has been there all along.  "Reopening the lengthened Platform 5" would have been rather more accurate.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 06, 2017, 16:53:52 »

I am unsure if GWR (Great Western Railway) have commenced to transfer some of the Class 165s and 166s westward as a result of the introduction of these new Class 387s but I drove past St. Philips Marsh depot (Bristol) this morning and found Class 166 no. 166215 parked up.

Photo (taken from the public side of a wire fence):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14103794@N04/32144043335/in/dateposted-public/

HTIOI,
Dave
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 06, 2017, 18:12:08 »

I am unsure if GWR (Great Western Railway) have commenced to transfer some of the Class 165s and 166s westward...
It's the first complete* unit to move for initial depot staff familiarisation, and probably driver trainers will get involved at some stage.  The move was reported a few days ago in a number of other forums.   

(* I believe they also have half of a damaged two car unit at the moment as well while the oterhe end gets repaired up north somewhere.)

Paul
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 07, 2017, 10:13:27 »

I was initially surprised that GWR (Great Western Railway) release a 2-car 165 from the Greenford service but send a 3-car 166 to Bristol, but I suppose that for familiarisation purposes St Philip’s Marsh needs a set that has everything eg air-con, trailer car non-driving car etc.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:08 »

There may be some physical obstacles that need resolving

I think one Ground Position Signal has had to be physically removed for the time being, but suspect that 'Electric Train' is correct in that it's mostly just waiting to get the paperwork signed.  There's no reason why the all-day service in January can't operate with the current restrictions as long as the new bay platform and crossover at Hayes are commissioned by then, though it would be nice if the restriction of calling at Hanwell could be sorted out by then as well.  A more frequent service would be really useful there as there's lots of growth potential that the current 30-minute interval service is stifling.

I notice that the Class 387 Paddington – Hayes shuttles are still not calling at Hanwell.  Is this because of the outstanding gauging issues - I presume platform height and/or stepping gap?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 16:00:48 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:17 »

... Is this because of the outstanding gouging issues ...

I hope it's not that far out of gauge!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 12, 2017, 13:06:21 »

I think it's a station lighting issue which means it doesn't meet standards regarding despatch for trains of that length.  It might also be a case of the performance risk of another station call on a fairly intensive service with quite tight turnaround times.  A shame, as Hanwell does warrant a 15-minute interval service in my opinion.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 13, 2017, 09:33:48 »

The lighting issue sounds a plausible explanation, I presume that Crossrail will be upgrading it in due course.   In the current climate I can understand that any TOC (Train Operating Company) introducing DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) trains will be careful to fully comply with the relevant standards.

Hanwell is I think busier than Acton Main Line, so the latter would logically be the stop to leave out if necessary to maintain a reliable 30 minute service with 2 trains.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 13, 2017, 18:05:30 »

There may be some physical obstacles that need resolving

I think one Ground Position Signal has had to be physically removed for the time being, but suspect that 'Electric Train' is correct in that it's mostly just waiting to get the paperwork signed.  There's no reason why the all-day service in January can't operate with the current restrictions as long as the new bay platform and crossover at Hayes are commissioned by then, though it would be nice if the restriction of calling at Hanwell could be sorted out by then as well.  A more frequent service would be really useful there as there's lots of growth potential that the current 30-minute interval service is stifling.

I notice that the Class 387 Paddington – Hayes shuttles are still not calling at Hanwell.  Is this because of the outstanding gauging issues - I presume platform height and/or stepping gap?

Doubt it will be gauging as that would prevent the trains running or mean a low speed in which case they may as well stop, it could be train / platform stepping or the platforms are not long enough for 8 car trains and the SDO (Selective Door Opening) has yet to be fitted; ultimately the 387 are not destined to serve Hanwell once cross rail is operational so there is no urgency to fit SDO.

Also Hanwell although a GWR (Great Western Railway) station its served by Heathrow Connect so there could be some franchise / revenue issues perhaps

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 14, 2017, 13:04:07 »

The SDO (Selective Door Opening) is fitted and working and needed at most other stations.  Like I said, I think it's a lighting and/or pathing issue.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2017, 14:43:36 »

That's good as (from what I reading on other fora about platforms to be extended, or not), it's definitely going to be needed at places like Midgham and Aldermaston in my locale.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2017, 14:23:34 »

It is reported elsewhere that the new EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) sidings at West Ealing are now being used by the 387s and that the contract with Hitachi for the use of North Pole depot ends this month. It looks like a number of units will be dragged to/from Reading Traincare Depot.

Also, next Sunday a night of testing is scheduled for a 387 unit between Reading TCD and Didcot on the electrified test section. This is the first time the 387s will have ventured west of Reading under their own power and is a proving run to assess how the units perform under the new OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") (there have been electrical interference issues with with IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) apparently).

(Didcot Parkway - next trains)/2017/02/05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt" target="_blank">http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DID/2017/02/05/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

This is apparently a precursor to driver training starting over the test section.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2017, 22:26:52 »

It is reported elsewhere that the new EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) sidings at West Ealing are now being used by the 387s

I came out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) on a fairly late train last Thurs evening (26/1) and I think there was at least one 387 parked there.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2017, 09:03:17 »

I see that the first unit has been vandalised in the West Ealing sidings overnight. I do wish that the punishments for this type of crime would act as a suitable deterrent to these criminals.  Angry
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 17, 2017, 09:16:05 »

Oh - you saying that just reminded me, I saw (I assume the same unit just outside of H&H) early last Saturday morning on my way to Paddington, and it was covered in graffiti  Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: