Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:37:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[92] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[76] Return of the BRUTE?
[65] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[47] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 459784 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: November 21, 2017, 10:21:28 »

Hmm. I took it to mean all-day stoppers (presumably shuttles to Reading) would be 4-car, and could use the bay at Newbury, with some peak-hour limited-stop 8-car additions. But that's not based on knowing the route.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 21, 2017, 10:23:48 »

Guess we will wait and see then. Unless others know more?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 21, 2017, 10:57:50 »

I think Stuving has it pretty much spot on.  The platforms being extended will also be useful for IET (Intercity Express Train) formed services.  Platform extensions have recently started at the Thames Valley stations between Didcot and Reading and at Twyford.  Going to be a tight call as to whether they’re ready in time for January, but if not then 6 or 7 car SDO (Selective Door Opening) could used initially.  I wouldn’t expect you’ll see work starting on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) stations until late next year.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 21, 2017, 11:08:23 »

The platforms being extended will also be useful for IET (Intercity Express Train) formed services

Indeed. I guess the Bedwyn's will be a 5-car set (as previously discussed) due to the turnback length at Bedwyn.

What about the proposed semi-fasts to points further west? - those that do operate today are HST (High Speed Train)'s and call at Thatcham and Theale. Do we know yet if these will be operated with 5 or 10 cars?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:46:06 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:14 »

Not sure on that one.  All options are still on the table, they could use a 10-car IET (Intercity Express Train) with SDO (Selective Door Opening) set at 6 or 7 (depending on how much they extend by), or run 8-car 387s from Paddington in the peaks and remove the calls on the longer distance trains to speed them up a bit - it’s only a couple of trains a day after all, but finding paths for that will be challenging.  They could run them as 5-car IETs but that would go against promises of all peak IET trains running as 9 or 10-car and would cause capacity issues.  Finally they could risk upsetting commuters by removing the calls and making them change at Reading.

It’s one of the slightly awkward puzzles still to solve, though the big one of diesel shuttles from Newbury to Bedwyn all day has at least been put to bed with the bi-mode option being adopted.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 21, 2017, 13:02:20 »

- a 4-car 387 would represent an increase in a capacity from a 3-car 16x, but probably not that much (due less dense seating config of the 387)

More standing room but less seats than a class 166 in fact

256 seats (cl166)  vs 224 seats (cl387) I think
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 22, 2017, 11:35:54 »

Latest RAIL Magazine is quoting GWR (Great Western Railway) as looking at Swindon as a possible place to stable 387s, particularly off peak, from January.  The original plan to park them in the sidings at Oxford isn't going to be possible.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 22, 2017, 11:40:02 »

Yes, Swindon has been mentioned for many months now as a 'next best' option for stabling.  Far from ideal of course, especially given the wires to Swindon are still some way off being energised, but I'm sure it won't be GWR (Great Western Railway) paying for any additional costs.

gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 25, 2017, 19:58:19 »

Latest RAIL Magazine is quoting GWR (Great Western Railway) as looking at Swindon as a possible place to stable 387s, particularly off peak, from January.  The original plan to park them in the sidings at Oxford isn't going to be possible.

Did you mean Oxford or Didcot Yard as I thought it was Didcot that was being considered for stabling the 387s?

Yes, Swindon has been mentioned for many months now as a 'next best' option for stabling.  Far from ideal of course, especially given the wires to Swindon are still some way off being energised, but I'm sure it won't be GWR paying for any additional costs.

It doesn't look like Steventon will be ready any time soon and doubtful the high street bridge will even be rebuilt now before December 2018. Loco-haulage anyone?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 25, 2017, 20:01:20 »

It doesn't look like Steventon will be ready any time soon and doubtful the high street bridge will even be rebuilt now before December 2018. Loco-haulage anyone?

Apparently they are looking at a temporary solution with a speed limit to achieve the deadline.

NR» (Network Rail - home page) tweets also suggest they are lowering the track this weekend. So it looks like a combination of lowered track, minimum clearances and reduced speed to allow the gradient of the contact wire to be very steep. 
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 26, 2017, 15:06:52 »

Would the mods consider moving or mirroring posts 643 onwards to the GW (Great Western) electrification section?

OTC
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #641 on: November 27, 2017, 15:29:07 »

Posts now moved and merged with that more relevant discussion - thanks for the constructive suggestion, OTC.

CfN.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 27, 2017, 20:37:44 »

Judging by the Didcot - Oxford shuttles and the info provided on train data sites, the 387s should be coming out to play through Reading on January 1st fingers crossed.

If the train data is correct (to be taken with a pinch of salt) then it would appear the first class 387 passenger service west of Maidenhead could be the 02:24 from Reading to Paddington, with the 04:07 from Didcot being the first service west of Reading.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 20:44:46 by Adelante_CCT » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #643 on: November 27, 2017, 20:52:20 »

I certainly won't be on either of those!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 28, 2017, 15:25:09 »

Counted 15 (at least) 387's parked-up in total at Maidenhead and West Ealing on my way into London today.

Wondering how many they need to run the service expansion in January?

I believe there’s 41 daily 387 diagrams required from January, from the final fleet size of 45.  The vast majority of which will be 8-car, with three 12-car diagrams.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: