I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:41:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 459742 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 30, 2017, 19:02:00 »

Passing Maidenhead at about 0940 this morning there was Turbo in the sidings with all the 387's, not seen that before.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 30, 2017, 19:15:16 »

Just to clarify, it wasn't the 387 that failed

What was it please then Ollie, as it looked like a 387 as I passed it on the Down Main in a diverted local. The Up Relief was blocked adjacent to it too.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 30, 2017, 19:27:36 »

Don't have the technical detail, but it was something wrong with the loco that was dragging the 387.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 01, 2017, 10:19:47 »

Passing Maidenhead at about 0940 this morning there was Turbo in the sidings with all the 387's, not seen that before.

Correct, the 08:15 arrival from Bedwyn is stored in the sidings until it forms the 09:42 to Reading
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 01, 2017, 12:13:26 »

Correct, the 08:15 arrival from Bedwyn is stored in the sidings until it forms the 09:42 to Reading

Ah, ok thanks for that. Must admit it has been unusual recently to be stood at Thatcham and to see Maidenhead as a final destination for a few up services.

However, this provides a routing to Paddington from there using the 387's (and the platform announcements for these trains do mention the connection opportunity)

Presumably this will change again with the January timetable change. I guess the Bedwyn semi-fast Turbos will be one of the few running all the way into Paddington following that change?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 12:19:55 by Thatcham Crossing » Logged
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 08, 2017, 09:54:59 »

The new Paddington – Didcot stopping service timetable T10 from 1st January is now on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website.  As far as Pangbourne is concerned, a better service with more trains, more semi-fasts to/from London, and of course better trains.  So all good (unless you travel Pangbourne - Oxford of course).
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 08, 2017, 10:19:07 »

Or if travelling to/from Ealing as discussed up thread
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 08, 2017, 11:07:11 »

The new Paddington – Didcot stopping service timetable T10 from 1st January is now on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website.  As far as Pangbourne is concerned, a better service with more trains, more semi-fasts to/from London, and of course better trains.  So all good (unless you travel Pangbourne - Oxford of course).

A handful of peak through services to/from Oxford still run, which should keep many commuters happy and nullify a lot of local press negativity, though whether they will slowly disappear over time remains to been seen.  I can’t see platform extensions being completed on time so expect 387s to run with SDO (Selective Door Opening) initially.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 08, 2017, 15:40:25 »

On Saturdays only there will be a new, 0400 turbo Oxford - Gatwick Airport direct. Not off topic I hope, as it's a consequence of Class 387's coming to Thames Valley.

Not calling at Pangbourne unfortunately, but then it's a long time since I did early morning flights for Gatwick.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 09, 2017, 00:29:03 »

Hmm. When did we last have an OXF» (Oxford - next trains) - GTW service? Must have been around 20 years ago. I used it at least once - but it was at the more sensible time of 06:30 or so.
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 09, 2017, 00:45:54 »

Hmm. When did we last have an OXF» (Oxford - next trains) - GTW service? Must have been around 20 years ago. I used it at least once - but it was at the more sensible time of 06:30 or so.

Think it's less than that (about 10 years), I recall CrossCountry used to have a service which went via Kensington Olympia towards Gatwick/Brighton.

Edited to add: http://www.1s76.com/1S76%202008.htm December 2008 timetable saw the end of trains through to the South (Sussex) Coast.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 09, 2017, 02:44:01 »

The withdrawal in 2008 of those CrossCountry services via Kenny O led to the farce of the once a week bus service from Ealing Broadway to Wandsworth Road via Kenny O. Maintaining the fiction that three short sections of railway in West London were still open to passenger services.

Until the formal closure went ahead in 2013 the bus service was costing the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) £450 a week. Passenger numbers were between 0-3 weekly.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/withdrawal-of-scheduled-passenger-services-between-wandsworth-road-kensington-olympia-and-ealing-broadway

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 09, 2017, 11:11:53 »

Think it's less than that (about 10 years), I recall CrossCountry used to have a service which went via Kensington Olympia towards Gatwick/Brighton.

Edited to add: http://www.1s76.com/1S76%202008.htm December 2008 timetable saw the end of trains through to the South (Sussex) Coast.
I should have explained - I was thinking of the Thames Train service a while back, which (perhaps on Saturdays only), started from Oxford, instead of from Reading, then ran the normal service to Gatwick. Might have only been during the summer timetable, to cater for holiday passengers. It was just a turbo, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 09, 2017, 11:51:57 »

As I recall there were at one time two such services weekdays, 04:XX and 06:YY. One ran a bit later on a Saturday. Also think there was at least one in the opposite direction at the other end of the day.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 09, 2017, 17:39:44 »

As I recall there were at one time two such services weekdays, 04:XX and 06:YY. One ran a bit later on a Saturday. Also think there was at least one in the opposite direction at the other end of the day.
I guess the services didn't get enough custom to justify running from Oxford to Gatwick. IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) they were usually 'airport passenger' spec. with extra luggage racks. Oh well.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: