Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 06:28:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 461633 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 10, 2018, 11:33:50 »

One more unit, 387174, to be accepted I believe.  Plus four more should become available from May when the Hayes trains become Heathrow trains operated by 345s.  That’s assuming 345s are available in enough numbers by then as they have had more than their fair share of issues.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 10, 2018, 11:47:10 »

Class 345 fleet is really struggling. Even a petition up and running asking for them to be withdrawn until they are fit for service!
https://www.change.org/p/bombardier-force-bombardier-to-re-call-the-brand-new-class-345-trains-until-they-are-fit-for-service
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 10, 2018, 13:09:36 »

Lets all hope they get fixed before Crossrail starts in our part of the world then!
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 10, 2018, 13:43:55 »

Lets all hope they get fixed before Crossrail starts in our part of the world then!

Yep. You don’t want a Cl 345 blocking the relief and a failed IET (Intercity Express Train) on the main.  Grin

That sort of availability on the 387’s is pretty much what the whole fleet is like.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 10, 2018, 16:26:12 »

Class 345 fleet is really struggling. Even a petition up and running asking for them to be withdrawn until they are fit for service!
https://www.change.org/p/bombardier-force-bombardier-to-re-call-the-brand-new-class-345-trains-until-they-are-fit-for-service

"the air conditioning is never on", ah bliss, will be just like being back on the turbos then ...

Oh I can't wait for Crossrail to reach Reading, it will so much improve my journey to work Roll Eyes
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 10, 2018, 17:05:53 »

One more unit, 387174, to be accepted I believe.  Plus four more should become available from May when the Hayes trains become Heathrow trains operated by 345s.  That’s assuming 345s are available in enough numbers by then as they have had more than their fair share of issues.

Don't forget the Newbury services are still to be added.   

I forecast more 4 car services than the hype lead folk to believe in the short term until full the Crossrail introduction 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 10, 2018, 18:17:16 »

First time on the 12 carriage 18.19 to Didcot tonight.
Why does it feel like there is less capacity than on the always overcrowded 6 car 18.18?

Unable to board the front 4 cars due to overcrowding. Next 4 are standing through the aisles 9mins before departure.

ITGuy

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 10, 2018, 20:48:17 »

Why does it feel like there is less capacity than on the always overcrowded 6 car 18.18?

Unable to board the front 4 cars due to overcrowding. Next 4 are standing through the aisles 9mins before departure.

It was only 8 cars tonight
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 10, 2018, 21:37:47 »

Don't forget the Newbury services are still to be added.   

I forecast more 4 car services than the hype lead folk to believe in the short term until full the Crossrail introduction 

Yes, although Newbury won’t be until the end of the year at the earliest, by which time it’s quite possible that IET (Intercity Express Train)’s will operate some  of the semi-fasts.  It’ll be a very fluid situation until Crossrail starts at the end of 2019.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 10, 2018, 22:22:54 »

It was only 8 cars tonight

Really? We were still being told about it being split at Reading.
It felt like I did a lot of walking up and down the platform looking for a carriage I could join too.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2018, 10:43:10 »

I wonder if some of that is due to timetable changes that don't quite seem to match requirements? Loss of Henley trains, changes to services to Maidenhead/Twyford and some fast services still being Turbos and so quite often shrinking/being cancelled means I'm now more likely to get that train than I was in the past.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2018, 10:59:00 »

....and if the new Crossrail Old Oak Common depot is open (its already 9 months late)  Roll Eyes Tongue
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 11, 2018, 11:10:27 »

by which time it’s quite possible that IET (Intercity Express Train)’s will operate some  of the semi-fasts.

I don't think that can happen until the turnback siding at Bedwyn is extended, and don't know what the timeline is for that?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #808 on: January 11, 2018, 11:35:39 »

by which time it’s quite possible that IET (Intercity Express Train)’s will operate some  of the semi-fasts.

I don't think that can happen until the turnback siding at Bedwyn is extended, and don't know what the timeline is for that?

Or until the semi-fasts are extend to Westbury  ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 11, 2018, 12:58:30 »

I meant some of the semi-fasts currently operated by 387s rather than B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) services, though I would expect many of those serving Bedwyn in the peaks to be IETs coming through from further afield like they do now.  A few Turbos will also probably remain until at least mid-2019.

The current off-peak Reading to Newbury service utilises two Turbo units very inefficiency (30 minute turnarounds at both ends).  I wonder whether the improved performance of the EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) will make operating it with one unit possible?  I suspect not quite as you’d probably need to save 5 minutes on the journey times to make it robust enough, but that would be highly desirable operationally if it could be done.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: