I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:17:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 459753 times)
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 17, 2018, 21:35:06 »

I’m seeing a lot of cancellations and delays attributed to coupling/uncoupling issues
and DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) camera issues. The 1819 was cancelled because of a DOO camera fault.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 17, 2018, 21:58:43 »

I’m not sure what percentage of these are actual faults, and what part driver familiarisation plays in them.  I know many drivers either had never coupled/uncoupled a train in service having perhaps done it a couple of time’s many months before on the depot, so not surprising to me that there are issues.

Not in all cases on obviously, but the haphazard training programme is perhaps revealing itself now, more than the unreliablility of the 387s.  Identical new build trains seem to be performing fine on the Gatwick Express sector of Southern for example - their drivers would have been very used to driving similar types of train.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 18, 2018, 08:37:54 »

Why are they uncoupling them anyway? Surely it would be easier just to run them in longer formation with the back 4 locked out, than cancel or delay them? Or until the platforms are lengthened, keep them all 8 carriages? Or only run the 12 carriage ones on the Paddington <-> Maidenhead, and/or Paddington <-> Reading semi-fasts?

They are genuine questions by the way, having to couple/uncouple on a busy service like we have just seems to be asking for trouble to me!
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 18, 2018, 12:03:13 »

Why are they uncoupling them anyway? Surely it would be easier just to run them in longer formation with the back 4 locked out, than cancel or delay them? Or until the platforms are lengthened, keep them all 8 carriages? Or only run the 12 carriage ones on the Paddington <-> Maidenhead, and/or Paddington <-> Reading semi-fasts?

They are genuine questions by the way, having to couple/uncouple on a busy service like we have just seems to be asking for trouble to me!

Because there probably isn’t  enough units.
What probably happens is that a seevice leaves Paddington bound for Didcot as an 8-car. At Reading 4 will detach and form another service back to Paddington where on arrival it may couple to another set to make another 8-car.

I don’t think it is down to the 387 training. I think in general GWR (Great Western Railway) drivers and taught to be overly cautious in comparison to drivers with other TOC (Train Operating Company)’s. It really is no different to driving any other train in terms of powering and braking. The only real difference is fault finding and knowing your way around the unit and having said that, fault finding is gernally done by someone on the other end of a phone.
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 18, 2018, 12:09:24 »

What probably happens is that a seevice leaves Paddington bound for Didcot as an 8-car. At Reading 4 will detach and form another service back to Paddington where on arrival it may couple to another set to make another 8-car.

Ah, apologies, I thought all the new 387 were 8 carriages as standard, so it was the 12 unit ones being split to form an 8 and (assumed) sending the other 4 to the depot at Reading (I realise some have been out of action due to "repairs", but I've only been on them when its split at Reading as a 12).
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 18, 2018, 13:45:22 »

Ah, apologies, I thought all the new 387 were 8 carriages as standard, so it was the 12 unit ones being split to form an 8 and (assumed) sending the other 4 to the depot at Reading (I realise some have been out of action due to "repairs", but I've only been on them when its split at Reading as a 12).

The 8 carriage configuration was sold to the public by GWR (Great Western Railway) as part of the Nirvana they would be delivering upon us all from 2nd January. Once again they have failed to deliver....it's not you who should be apologising lordgoata, it's GWR, but they've forgotten how to do that.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 18, 2018, 15:58:16 »

Not really GWR (Great Western Railway)’s fault. This is what the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) signed off for

Not all the units have been delivered and there is the possibility of more transferring from another operator. Again, this depends on the DfTs plans.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 18, 2018, 16:06:54 »

If DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are going to micromanage the railway they really need to come clean and say so.  Then we all know who to praise when the service is perfect.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #848 on: January 18, 2018, 16:11:01 »

The capacity discussions I've seen seem to measure for the most part in SOOPs (Seats Out Of Paddington) and indeed traffic on most trains out of Paddington if greater on departure than at any later point in the journey, so it does make some sense to drop carriages at some appropriate intermediate point and send them back in for another load.    Reading would seem a suitable point to drop 4 at the moment; at some future date, someone might sling up some cheap, light weight, low speed overheads on the Henley branch and you could drop 4 carriages at Twyford and provide a though service all day.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 18, 2018, 16:55:45 »

Not really GWR (Great Western Railway)’s fault. This is what the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) signed off for

Not all the units have been delivered and there is the possibility of more transferring from another operator. Again, this depends on the DfTs plans.

It's GWR who have been trumpeting thousands of additional seats coinciding with the new timetable and referring to 8 carriage trains as the default formation with some trains having 12. If they weren't able to deliver it, then why (as so often) have they overpromised and under delivered?

Right now Maidenhead in the morning peak is a nightmare - far worse than it was before.

Anyhow, it's not the DfTs fault that they don't employ sufficient numbers of drivers or mechanics, that one sits squarely with GWR.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 18, 2018, 17:13:24 »

It's GWR who have been trumpeting thousands of additional seats coinciding with the new timetable and referring to 8 carriage trains as the default formation with some trains having 12. If they weren't able to deliver it, then why (as so often) have they overpromised and under delivered?

Right now Maidenhead in the morning peak is a nightmare - far worse than it was before.

Anyhow, it's not the DfTs fault that they don't employ sufficient numbers of drivers or mechanics, that one sits squarely with GWR.

Some locations are understaffed, some are massively overstaffed. Some locations aren’t fully trained on the new traction. I think a lot more left the LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) depots than they predicted, me included, and that was solely down to job security or lack of.

The whole service doesn’t revolve around Maidenhead, other locations may have benefited significantly but with such a large timetable change, there was always the risk of issues. Large scale changes could be made on the next timetable change. Small changes can be made quite easily and they been on the Henley branch.  Things need to be allowed to settle down. At the moment, all but one 387 is diagrammed to be used on a weekday.
What is the issue at Maidenhead. Lack of fast services or short forms?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 18, 2018, 17:28:20 »

What is the issue at Maidenhead. Lack of fast services or short forms?
Yep ............... both

Also the timing of the Henley branch possibly means the trains a full before they reach Maidenhead.  An example is 06:32 fast from Maidenhead whilst not ram packed there is a shortage of seats

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 18, 2018, 17:30:33 »

I’m sure something will happen last minute, and I know the 17:18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) semi-fast Turbo was cancelled, but it looks like (for the first time?) both the 17:49 and 18:19 PAD-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) semi-fasts will actually be formed of the scheduled 12 carriages tonight.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 18, 2018, 17:56:31 »

I’m sure something will happen last minute, and I know the 17:18 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-OXF» (Oxford - next trains) semi-fast Turbo was cancelled, but it looks like (for the first time?) both the 17:49 and 18:19 PAD-DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) semi-fasts will actually be formed of the scheduled 12 carriages tonight.

..............let's hope they can get through.............

Due to a track defect at Didcot Parkway some high speed services between London Paddington and Oxford have been altered. Customers travelling from London Paddington can travel to Reading to connect with a Cross Country service to Oxford. Customers from Oxford can travel via Cross Country services to Reading.
Congestion may occur in the Didcot Parkway area as only 4 out of the 5 platforms are available for use.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 18, 2018, 21:40:40 »

..............let's hope they can get through.............

They did, with a 7 and 12 minute delay respectively. Too early to be sure, and still not good enough, but availability does seem to be improving day on day.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: