I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:18:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 63
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 387 coming to Thames Valley - ongoing discussion  (Read 459755 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 05, 2018, 21:30:32 »

SNAFU (Situation Normal: All Fouled Up (I have toned down the F word))
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #871 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:17 »

yup, SNAFU indeed.  Can anyone tell me the benefits of electrification?  It's cleaner & greener I suppose, supposedly better acceleration but my journey time is the same (when the service runs properly), more capacity maybe but the trains seem just as full and the whole 'front 4 carriages for this, back 2 carriages for that'  just causes confusion; it must be impossible for tourists/non English speakers to comprehend.  It would help if they numbered the carriages for a start.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 06, 2018, 08:49:29 »

I agree with the carriage numbering. While there are announcements once you're on board (most times) it would be useful to be able to identify carriages whilst on the platform. At the moment I have to resort to counting but even then I find the expected 12 carriages have shrunk to 8 or 4 and have to double back.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:21 »

yup, SNAFU indeed.  Can anyone tell me the benefits of electrification?  It's cleaner & greener I suppose, supposedly better acceleration but my journey time is the same (when the service runs properly), more capacity maybe but the trains seem just as full and the whole 'front 4 carriages for this, back 2 carriages for that'  just causes confusion; it must be impossible for tourists/non English speakers to comprehend.  It would help if they numbered the carriages for a start.

IN THEORY electrification has many benefits, however this is seldom achieved in the UK (United Kingdom) these days. Network rail have proved incapable of electrifying lines on time or to a budget. Those bits that have been electrified are unreliable, a problem that will presumably worsen as electrification slowly spreads.
Electric trains SHOULD be more reliable than diesel since there is less to go wrong, unfortunately each new generation of electric trains seems to be more complex and less reliable than older ones. Note for example the number of short formed new electric trains due to "more trains than usual needing repairs"

Trains that divide en-route are in theory an excellent idea so as to serve more destinations, or to better match capacity to passenger numbers. Again however, the practice has not matched the theoretical advantages.
Too many announcements refer to a longer train than actually provided for example. "front 4 coaches for ABC and rear 4 coaches for XYZ" when what appears is only 4 in total.

The old Southern railway was known for portion working, and it worked well for decades, but you cant expect that today.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 06, 2018, 09:55:01 »

The old Southern railway was known for portion working, and it worked well for decades, but you cant expect that today.
Can’t see why not - SWR» (South Western Railway - about) have various forms of portion working happening 7 days a week and it is completely unremarkable.   Is there any statistically significant unreliability caused by it?

Paul
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 06, 2018, 10:51:13 »

The GWR (Great Western Railway) 387s though are the last build of an older generation of EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit).  If you look through the diagrams there aren't a lot 'spare' for peak demands (12 carriage sets etc). If they were a new generation, I daresay they could well have had external displays, as the 800s do.

From what I have pieced together there are still not quite the full number delivered, and the damage rate to the pans (or parts thereof) for those in service has been higher than to be expected, which was attributed to a issue on the H&H bay platform.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 06, 2018, 13:39:09 »

GWR (Great Western Railway)’s 387s have external displays, which are very useful in listing the calling points and could presumably be configured to also display the carriage number.

The problem will largely go away when the platform extension works are completed, but work is proceeding at snail pace for some reason.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2018, 13:42:41 »

Have they - I guess you don't notice them when you get on at the starting points Smiley
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2018, 18:32:56 »

The GWR (Great Western Railway) 387s though are the last build of an older generation of EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit).  If you look through the diagrams there aren't a lot 'spare' for peak demands (12 carriage sets etc). If they were a new generation, I daresay they could well have had external displays, as the 800s do.

From what I have pieced together there are still not quite the full number delivered, and the damage rate to the pans (or parts thereof) for those in service has been higher than to be expected, which was attributed to a issue on the H&H bay platform.

I noted last week that the SI (Section Insulator) on the entry into the H&H bay had been replaced, the SI could have caused the damage to the pan carbons which my take a few weeks to manifest as a problem on the train its self

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
sanfrandragon

View Profile Email
« Reply #879 on: February 09, 2018, 10:38:06 »

GWR (Great Western Railway)’s 387s have external displays, which are very useful in listing the calling points and could presumably be configured to also display the carriage number.

The problem will largely go away when the platform extension works are completed, but work is proceeding at snail pace for some reason.

I may have heard some weeks ago the driver telling us that the displays couldn't be changed due to a programming fault - is this right?

For seasoned commuters its not a problem; everyone knows which carriage to be in, or that you can just walk down the train as it approaches the station, but for casual passengers it seems to cause no end of confusion!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 09, 2018, 11:05:18 »

Well, they can be changed in that the driver enters a code to list all the station stops and the other information for whatever service they’re driving, but they can’t configure it to display specific information like a coach number on the external displays - that would need software modifications.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ITGuy

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 12, 2018, 20:43:27 »

It's Monday so must be time to cancel the 1819 and 1842 from Pad. This week's excuse is lack of train crew.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 13, 2018, 00:12:29 »

I didn’t realise those cancellations were day-of-the-week specific!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 13, 2018, 18:47:37 »

1842 cancelled again......."train fault" this time.
ITGuy

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 15, 2018, 07:15:44 »

More mass cancellations this morning due to staff shortages. Has there been an outbreak of plague in the crew room or just incompetent rostering?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 63
  Print  

Jump to: