21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:13:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A year on - how is this site doing?  (Read 7828 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 20, 2008, 18:02:01 »

We've been running here for nearly a year, and I've been looking at some "behind the scenes" statistics that I thought might be of interest.

We're about to sign up our 200th member - we may have done so by the time I get to posting this - and in 51 weeks we have been visited from 34,693 different host computer (IP) addresses, with a total of no less that 3.5 million accesses. My logs for this analysis totals 900 Mbytes!

Much of the traffic on many web sites these days comes from "crawlers" or "spiders" and whilst it's important traffic in terms of getting us listed with search engines, it can have a misleading effect on certain statistics. However, I've had a look through the details of the logs and although a lot of the accesses are indeed from these robots, they only account for a very small proportion of the different hosts - that's why I've used the measure.

I can identify the majority of our visitors by the country from where they have visited, and there are 113 different countries!   Some are only a very few visitors (sometiimes 1!); of those I can identify, nearly 60% are from the UK (United Kingdom). Next highest visit count is around 15% from the USA (and that includes a lot of the robots), with no other single country over 1.5%.

All in all, I conclude that the site does reach / is read by a significant number of appropriate people - "reaching its target market" if you like.

A big "Thank you" to the team of moderators for helping to make this possible, and also to all the posters (whatever your views!) and readers. Again - it wouldn't be possible for this site to work without you.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 23:48:28 »

Grahame, thanks for this update!

I note we now have 209 members: they're joining at the rate of about two a day, which is great!  However, some of them are not posting, but logging out fairly soon after registering.  Is there any way we can perhaps welcome them immediately (maybe with an automatic message?) to encourage them to stay logged in, and perhaps make their first post?

I know you and the other moderators welcome new members when they do post - and indeed I have done so myself in some cases, where I have spotted a new member's first post, for example!  However, as we expand our membership, we may risk discouraging some of our newest members from actually posting after they've registered, when they see some of the 'in jokes', strange technical jargon and the occasional 'personality differences' which are evident in some of our threads?

Just a suggestion, perhaps to be discussed with the moderators and the existing members?  I don't want us to discourage new members from posting, that's all - for example, we're getting more FGW (First Great Western) staff, and females, registering.  I really don't want to start any debate about females joining such a website, for whatever discrimination reason - but as, for example, on my commuter train they make up about 50% of the passengers, I really would value their input from a female point of view!  Same with FGW staff - I've gained some very useful information and a much greater understanding of the wider issues from some of them, for example.

Anyway, enough from me: what do others think?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 00:24:02 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 00:08:07 »

Thanks for that input, Chris.

I am going to let grahame provide the main reply to this, but I know that I speak for the moderation team when I say how pleased (and grateful) we are at number of members who have signed up, contributed a wide range of views from many different perspectives, and made the forum the success that it is, and hopefully will continue to be.

This has even extended to increased forum activity at night, which is why you will see more of me on "moderation shift" at these sort of times.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 00:20:47 »

Thanks, Lee: you'll be needing some of those 'high octane' coffees, then!  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:42:30 »

Chris, Many thanks for your thoughtful update. Here's the more thorough and detailed answer that Lee suggested I might write.

I celebrate the wide variety of people who have signed up here - allowing them to post, and send personal messages in addition to reading what everyone is saying; we're a public forum and as such anyone who's on line can read the board.  The forum wouldn't be the same without all of these people, in both groups.   I also celebrate our wide range of backgrounds and travel patterns; perhaps it could be said that the only two things that join us are an interest in travelling somewhere in the wedge westward from London, and an online presence.

I attended a big get-together of people who see a future in rail towards the end of last year, and couldn't help but notice that I was, at just over 50, one of the youngsters. And that Lisa, who was with me, was one of just a handful of women in a group of over 100. Some quiet enquiries, a poll that I didn't bias by stating my reasons ahead of time, and I confirmed that our membership here is much more balanced - it has a profile that's much more representative of the age / gender profile of the typical train traveller. That's great news, but it's not something with which we should rest on our laurels - it's something to keep in active review.

When people visit a board such as ours, they often do so casually - because they've been brought here be a search of they're looking to read something specific, and so they don't even register.  We will always have a large population of guests, I suspect.  Many passengers will remain in that group - contented to read but not feeling that they have anyting to say; some people are life's talkers and others simply are not.  Some of the staff will remain in that group too, but a lower proportion; they have the knowledge and opinions about their work which is far more central to their lives than the half hour twice a day from Reading to London.  The guest group is very welcome - we shouldn't be concerned at the pool being large as it's our potential new members, but we should be concerned if people there are fearful of signing up in any way, and I don't know how to measure if that's the case.

Someone takes the great "leap" and signs up. A new member. Good; but why do they do it?  Not always because they want to become a regular poster.  Sometimes, it's to make a specific point on a thread that they've a particular interest in, and at other times it's so that they can get in touch via the "personal message" system with other posters. And with some it will be based on their knowledge that on many forums such as ours, signed up members can see other boards that aren't available to guests. Alas, we don't have such a "clubroom" here. There are some other less positive reasons too, which I as administrator need to keep an eye on - but we have very few problems here.

I too try to welcome new members whenever I spot their first posts. Only a proportion will stand on stage in the "intro" section and introduce themselves; other will just come into existing threads. And I do encourage everyone to say "hi" to newcomers and to remember that they are likely to be a little nervous and to not know all of our histories - or the history of old threads; I have just emphasised that as it's so easy for us to all forget.  "I was new here once".

Could we be more welcoming?   Yes - and I encourage everyone who reads this thread to say "hi" to a new member whenever they come across them.  I'm also minded - something to be discussed with fellow moderators - to update the greeting email we send out to people; to be honest (I always try to be honest!!) I've not reviewed it in a while and am very woolly about what it actually says!

Looking forward at other aspects, as people move from being new members to being established posters, it's worth noting that everyone is different again. We have members who post once in every 20 minutes that they're signed in (one xtreme) and others who have been signed in and reading for a total of over 24 hours, but have never, ever posted.  How do we keep providing the service that these people all want / keep interest up?   Fortunately, at this stage the forum becomes something of a daily / weekly habit for many people, and we have such a wide range of topics and discussions that it's self-supporting.  However there could be scope for adding other things / activities.  One of the problems there is that we have limited admin time and we would be diluting available effort, save for the fact that the increasing pool of members can help.

As we stand at the moment, I could do with one or two volunteers to help edit the background pages on the site - copying useful stuff off the posts which decay in their access with time onto the permanent information section that most people probably don't realise we have.

I have resisted the idea of any form or regular email letter / mailing out to members - but further developement (and an enouragement to people to sign up to get on the letter) is something that could be done.   Ah - but it all comes down to time; personally, I'm the sort of person who has 10 ideas but has to rule out 9 of them because of lack of reources.

There could be whole new post / thread concerning options away from the web site ... best not go there too much in what's already a long and rambling post, but do note that there's a lot else that goes on.

P.S. The board states a specific gender bias in its stats. Don't trust the figure; it's the proportion of people who have declared their gender to be male v female, and there is strong evidence that men declare their gender far more than do women.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ptolemy

ptolemyphil@hotmail.com ptolemyphil
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 13:03:59 »

As we stand at the moment, I could do with one or two volunteers to help edit the background pages on the site - copying useful stuff off the posts which decay in their access with time onto the permanent information section that most people probably don't realise we have.

I'm happy to help, Graham (actually I think we've discussed it before). You probably know me better as my more businesslike alter ego "Phil" over on the Save the Train forum - I tend to play the Devil's advocate more when posting here  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 22:11:09 »

You probably know me better as my more businesslike alter ego "Phil" over on the Save the Train forum - I tend to play the Devil's advocate more when posting here  Cheesy

Yeah - I had noticed your more imp-ish approach. I'll email / p.m. you (or you could even pop round for a coffee!) and I'll show you how those associated data pages work ... and, boy oh boy, they really need someone to take good care of them - they were "seeded" about a year ago and need watering (and the puns and similes continue to roll!)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: