09:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
09:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 10:11:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[156] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[109] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[63] Signage - not making it easy ...
[13] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: SWT - A New Dawn?  (Read 11409 times)
Oberon

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2014, 09:17:46 »

Given the seemingly un-ending rise in ridership over SWT (South West Trains)'s routes this Network Rail Western Routes Study offers hope to stoical travellers and freight operators alike. I wonder if electrifying Worting Jc-Salisbury might be part of a wider scheme to take the juice, or more likely, knitting, around Laverstock, destination Southampton. And on the subject of electrifying,  why is there no mention of wiring west of Salisbury? After all the 159s aren't going to last until 2043.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Have-your-say-on-rail-industry-plan-for-growth-on-routes-to-London-Waterloo-21ce.aspx
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 10:09:34 »

Given the seemingly un-ending rise in ridership over SWT (South West Trains)'s routes this Network Rail Western Routes Study offers hope to stoical travellers and freight operators alike. I wonder if electrifying Worting Jc-Salisbury might be part of a wider scheme to take the juice, or more likely, knitting, around Laverstock, destination Southampton. And on the subject of electrifying,  why is there no mention of wiring west of Salisbury? After all the 159s aren't going to last until 2043.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Have-your-say-on-rail-industry-plan-for-growth-on-routes-to-London-Waterloo-21ce.aspx

The full report does recommend wiring Worting Jn to Southampton via Laverstock, and into Salisbury station.  Their reasoning is that wiring the main line only will not encourage FOCs (Freight Operating Company) to use electric traction if they'd still have to use Diesel locos when diverted.  The long term plan for freight capacity includes the use of the Laverstock/Andover route to give additional standard paths anyway. 

The full report does also consider electrification to Exeter.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 10:45:46 by paul7755 » Logged
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 10:19:18 »

After all the 159s aren't going to last until 2043.
Actually, that might not be a given. They would be 50 in 2043 and some of the IC125s seem likely to last to at least that age.

That said, there was something in a fairly recent issue of Modern Railways which suggested that all trains into Waterloo would need to be running on electric traction to maximise capacity. This is one of the reasons I've been mooting a new build of bi-mode units for SWT (South West Trains) (although mostly it is that I want to see their 158s and 159s made available elsewhere to restrict Pacers (and, as much as possible, 150s) to short-distance journeys, add additional services/lengthen existing ones and keep the likes of Turbostars, Pennine Desiros and Networker Turbos off 'regional express' services like Cardiff-Portsmouth).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 10:36:10 »

The full report does recommend wiring Worting Jn to Southampton via Livestock, and into Salisbury station. 

You couldn't recommend third rail on that route as there would be too many animals on the line.  Grin
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 10:45:00 »

The full report does recommend wiring Worting Jn to Southampton via Livestock, and into Salisbury station. 

You couldn't recommend third rail on that route as there would be too many animals on the line.  Grin

Autocorrect fail.  Roll Eyes   Didn't notice that happening...

Paul
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:35:46 »

Autocorrect fail.  Roll Eyes   Didn't notice that happening...

Paul

Has anyone else noticed that Apple devices second guess what you've written and get it wrong, whereas Android devices guess what you are going to write and get it right?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 12:32:26 »

Absolutely no chance of this happening.  NR» (Network Rail - home page) are way under-resourced to deliver anything as big as this (and they are losing staff at a rapid rate - people jumping ship for better paid jobs with more understanding employers).  Watch out for this being de-scoped very rapidly Tongue  Look at the slippage creeping into the GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification for an example.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 23:52:37 »

The web page launching the consultation says this:
The draft study identifies priorities for the period from 2019 to 2024 ^ and looks ahead to 2043.

Potential options include:

New double-deck trains
Electrification to Salisbury
125mph on some sections of track
Flyovers at Woking and Basingstoke
Extra platforms at Southampton Central and Guildford
Development of cab based signalling and automatic train operation
Extra track from Surbiton to Clapham Junction
Crossrail 2

That's a mixture of CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) items (2019-2024) and longer term ones. But 125 mph? I searched for any mention of line speed increases, and the only two I can find are for the North Downs Line and between Templecombe and Axminster. Not the most likely places for a 125 mph line ... or even train. So what are they going on about?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 15:39:18 by stuving » Logged
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 08:22:27 »

Between Templecombe and Axminster the distance between stations means only with electrification could any benefit be gained from increasing linespeeds to 125mph due to superior acceleration.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 20:56:50 »

Electrification by 3rd Rail to Salisbury and then the section via Romsey to Southampton seems a good call to me as a diversionary route.

Should something happen just west of Worting Junction, you effectively cannot run a service to Southampton, Bournemouth and Weymouth due to nearly all the services being EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit). At least with a diversionary route via Andover you could run a basic emergency service in such situations. Class 70s have had a few issues on the SWML (South Western Mail Line) in the space of a few days which caused endless disruption.

Has anyone else noticed that Apple devices second guess what you've written and get it wrong, whereas Android devices guess what you are going to write and get it right?

Actually I've never found that to be true. For Acronyms specifically and a few other things. DDR3 (Double Data Rate) has become DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) which are both completely different things. I also took displeasure in it trying to correct one of my passwords - which is deliberately spelt wrong Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 22:07:34 »

Electrification by 3rd Rail to Salisbury and then the section via Romsey to Southampton seems a good call to me as a diversionary route.

Why 3rd rail? as someone else of this parish says the future is 25kV.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 12:21:22 »

In the Wessex route study draft, 25 kV electrification of Basingstoke > Salisbury > Redbridge is seen as a requirement to provide a diversionary route for AC loco hauled freight.   Once that was done it would also provide for passenger diversion with dual voltage stock, but the way it reads that would be a secondary benefit.

If the main line via Winchester is closed west of Worting Junction at the moment they run the main Southampton (and beyond) service via Guildford, Havant and Fareham - for places beyond Southampton, it isn't much different time wise to going via Andover and Laverstock with a reversal at Southampton.

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 13:39:21 »

In the Wessex route study draft, 25 kV electrification of Basingstoke > Salisbury > Redbridge is seen as a requirement to provide a diversionary route for AC loco hauled freight.

Would they also consider Salisbury > Westbury > Thingley as a diversionary route for use if the main drag is out of commission north of Basingskoke (i.e. around Mortimer / Reading) seeing as they're looking at the diversionary route via Salisbury for the main drag being out south of Basingstoke (i.e. around Micheldever / Winchester)?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 13:47:54 »

I believe at the moment that route isn't cleared for the largest containers. Apart from that it would appear to make sense.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 13:57:14 »

I believe at the moment that route isn't cleared for the largest containers. Apart from that it would appear to make sense.

Southampton to Basingstoke via Laverstock was reported complete in CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014) according to NR» (Network Rail - home page) , it was cleared to W10 by Jan 2013, with minor follow up work for W12 completed in April this year.  The project originally started just about the time the main route via Winchester was finished.

So additional clearance through Westbury to deal with a Basingstoke to Reading closure should be the next logical step?

Paul
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 14:04:50 by paul7755 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: