02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
10:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
12:24 Reading to Gatwick Airport
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 12:11:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[317] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[88] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[56] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Where have I been?
[31] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[26] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you welcome new class 278 trains?  (Voting closed: December 03, 2014, 11:21:24)
Yes, they would be good on my line - 4 (7%)
Yes, if it meant more capacity - 16 (28.1%)
Yes, if it meant more services - 12 (21.1%)
Yes, in the right places - 15 (26.3%)
Yes, but not on my line - 4 (7%)
No - 6 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: New trains from old?  (Read 86771 times)
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2017, 00:48:26 »

Raising the Ryde tunnel track may have made sense in the milder 1960's but the floods of 2010 and 2014 filled the tunnel half way and then fully, rendering the loss of clearance of little value.

Better drainage and prevention of water ingress might help but there are times when nature must win temporarily. As not many people travel when the weather is that bad, suspension of service is reasonable.

The problem with the Parry vehicle is its low capacity - heavy rail's real advantage.

A bi-mode class 230 that could reach both Shanklin and Wootton might just lead to greater things.

OTC
Chris125

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2017, 16:56:21 »

Raising the Ryde tunnel track may have made sense in the milder 1960's but the floods of 2010 and 2014 filled the tunnel half way and then fully, rendering the loss of clearance of little value.

The recent floods have been caused by Monktonmead Brook (which the railway follows from Smallbrook) bursting it's banks and following the track down into the tunnel - that would happen whatever the clearances in the tunnel, which I presume were reduced to minimise the impact of high tides.

While headroom isn't ideal the tight reverse curve in the tunnel and esplanade platform also restrict length as well as some very restrictive overbridges too. That said the photo below shows a gauging trial when ex-Merseyrail 503s were under serious consideration in the 80s; a relatively compact design not so different from sub-surface LU stock.

https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/622851071229186048
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 17:02:47 by Chris125 » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 17, 2017, 11:33:41 »

Don't think there's been an official announcement yet, but being widely rumoured that three Class 230s will be used on Bedford to Bletchley services from December 2018 as part of the rolling stock plan for the new West Midlands Franchise.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:38:57 by IndustryInsider » Logged

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2017, 11:37:24 »

Don't think there's been an official announcement yet, but being widely rumoured that three Class 230s will be used on Bedford to Bletchley services from December 2018 as part of the rolling stock plan form the new West Midlands Franchise.

There's a great deal of logic in using them on that line.  Lots of stops, no main line running, and (certainly when I last used it) some trains formed of a 153 which was more full than comfortable.  Also an isolated diesel outpost within a sea of electrification in the area in that franchise.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: September 17, 2017, 17:20:25 »

Good stop gap until EWR comes along
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 17, 2017, 18:19:53 »

Indeed, although the existing Marston Vale line stopping service is supposed to continue alongside the EWR services when they commence, so perhaps they will last even longer than that?

A bit of an increase in capacity as well, as in my experience the line is usually worked with one of their three 2-car 150s and a single car Class 153.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2018, 19:49:50 »

Vivarail recently announced they have just about finished their first "production" battery D78s.
Photo credit: Ben Jones
230002 nearing completion in Vivarail’s main workshop.  This 2-car train is the first production battery unit in the UK (United Kingdom) and will be in passenger service by the summer.  The train is powered by 2 lithium ion batteries per car (4 in total) and has a range of 40 miles.

Battery trains are not new but battery technology is – and Vivarail is leading the way in new and innovative ways to bring them into service.  230002 has a total of 4 battery rafts each with a capacity of 106 kWh and requires an 8 minute charge at each end of the journey. With a 10 minute charge this range is extended to 50 miles and battery technology is developing all the time so these distances will increase.

The train can be charged through existing infrastructure – OHL (Over-Head Line) or 3rd rail – and for non-electrified lines Vivarail has developed a static battery bank as an alternative. In each case the train is charged automatically through a patented Automatic Charging Point.  This is a simple and elegant design that will allow battery trains to replace diesel units with a minimum of time and effort.

Now, the words do seem to suggest they have agreement with a ToC to run some of their trains. But where is this passenger service going to be? And where will the recharging be done? I'm pretty sure they will not have fitted any pantographs yet. Would they be installing these rapid charging points at a station, with or without buffer batteries? that sounds like it would need a pretty big stack of safety documents, even for a trial. I can believe they could put the 3rd rail shoe gear back, or more likely pick some bogies with it still on, but that seriously limits where it could run. 

There's more details on that page and others. Peering closely at the pictures of the battery packs, not only are they the same rather bilious shade of green as the LIMP batteries removed from the Harwich IPEMUs (Independely Powered Electic Multiple Unit (train running on batteries)), but they have Valence labels - so they are still using those old things (the cheapskates).

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2018, 20:11:36 »

Would Bedford - Bletchley be in range?  That was/is supposed to be getting 3 x 230s according to earlier plans by the new TOC (Train Operating Company)?  I had assumed they’d be diesel though...

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2018, 20:15:17 »

Would Bedford - Bletchley be in range?  That was/is supposed to be getting 3 x 230s according to earlier plans by the new TOC (Train Operating Company)?  I had assumed they’d be diesel though...

Paul

I think that plan went up in smoke, since diesel 230s will no longer be available in time for the new franchise. And it's not 3rd rail territory, is it?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2018, 20:20:54 »

The diesel electric 230s didn’t involve 3rd rail pickup as far as I recall.  There have been so many different reports in forums though I may be out of date.

Googling suggests they were to be introduced for Dec 2018, so not actually planned for the first year of that franchise...

Paul
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2018, 20:33:57 »

I hadn't realised that Vivarail had moved to battery power. Robert Llewellyn (Kryten from Red Dwarf) took a look at the new train in a video posted in November 2017. The train shown also has a diesel generator as well as a battery. The purpose wasn't fully explained so I don't know if it was there just during development or whether it will appear in the production models.

https://youtu.be/9s4heZe7ChM
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2018, 22:59:57 »

Paul

I think that plan went up in smoke, since diesel 230s will no longer be available in time for the new franchise. And it's not 3rd rail territory, is it?

There were various stock plans floating around ... a chance meeting with one of the key people involved in stock resourcing as one franchise moved to another would suggest that the was not completeness or certainly in any of the plans ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2018, 23:43:14 »

They keep trying don't they?

And still no firm orders for these re-purposed D78s.

I truly hope I never see a large fleet of them on the UK (United Kingdom) network. Vivarail have recently been hawking them to the Wales & Borders bidders. I hope the WAG» (Welsh Assembly Government - about) have insisted on new build in the tender.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2018, 23:50:22 »

This might prove of interest https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SnNaMPR-e1I&feature=youtu.be.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2018, 00:31:29 »

I hadn't realised that Vivarail had moved to battery power. Robert Llewellyn (Kryten from Red Dwarf) took a look at the new train in a video posted in November 2017. The train shown also has a diesel generator as well as a battery. The purpose wasn't fully explained so I don't know if it was there just during development or whether it will appear in the production models.

https://youtu.be/9s4heZe7ChM

I reckon the train with one diesel and one battery was just to demonstrate that modularity. But Vivarail's use of "production" for the trains they are building now is a bit questionable, since they hand-build them all anyway. As far as they are concerned, the diesel modules and trains are fully approved and in production. Do they have all the systems and software to manage a diesel/battery hybrid?

The original first public use for Coventry-Nuneaton was lost due to the fire and the loss of a grant from Coventry City. The Marston Vale trains were announced (if only indirectly, via the press) long after that, though the franchise bid went in just before the fire. They are reportedly diesel, but only two-car units rather than the three-car ones planned for Leamington. WMT need something new, pretty soon, so I guess they don't have so many options (though only three are needed).

What they have just announced are electric two-car trains to be in use this summer. The batteries should not have been too hard to configure, as they were made to run a train. That's still true if they buy some more from Valence, as they have chosen to go with them as suppliers. It's likely the DC (Direct Current) voltage in a class 379 isn't 750V, but that may not be a big issue. There should be standard boxes to manage charge/discharge from the common DC bus too.

But the 379s had all the 25 kV input stuff already, and I think they were charging only while sitting waiting and then switching over just once. Having to install that - pantograph, transformer, cables, rectifier - and then manage its operation, that doesn't sound easy. And even if you buy existing bits (Who from? Off old trains?)  finding space is not going to be easily. So while that's certainly possible, I've seen no sign it's been tried let alone ready to run.

And as for their charging points, if they need to be installed in several stations in less than six months, with their feed at 11 kV or more ... sound likely?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: