27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:04:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you welcome new class 278 trains?  (Voting closed: December 03, 2014, 11:21:24)
Yes, they would be good on my line - 4 (7%)
Yes, if it meant more capacity - 16 (28.1%)
Yes, if it meant more services - 12 (21.1%)
Yes, in the right places - 15 (26.3%)
Yes, but not on my line - 4 (7%)
No - 6 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: New trains from old?  (Read 86730 times)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2019, 17:36:33 »

Though TfW has confirmed that the ones for Wales have been delayed into the new year.  Presumably trying to make sure that their launch there is not beset with the problems the ones on the Bedford Bletchley line have faced.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2019, 14:14:24 »

Oh dear another fire:
https://twitter.com/elbell789/status/1188140222917296130?s=21

I totally understand why Mark Hopwood wants nothing to do with them. A noble project but clearly producing new trains from old has its challenges.

Let’s hope adding diesel engines to the 319s is more successful.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2019, 18:04:44 »

There is a video here courtesy of a neighbour to the station, I think named Ellen Bell. A message purporting to be from the guard says there were no injuries, and presses the case for guards on board all trains.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2019, 03:10:09 »

A message purporting to be from the guard says there were no injuries ...

Good call on flagging the uncorroborated nature of that tweet.  Looking at the profile of the account on Twitter does nothing at all to confirm to me the credentials of that message writer and indeed leads me to share your extreme caution.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2019, 22:06:04 »

Good call on flagging the uncorroborated nature of that tweet.  Looking at the profile of the account on Twitter does nothing at all to confirm to me the credentials of that message writer and indeed leads me to share your extreme caution.

The use of the term "guard" as opposed to the more esoteric "train manager" did make me think.

Now, please!
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2019, 22:14:55 »

And no on or off duty staff of the train company, Network rail/contractors or emergency services should be saying anything publicly, other than 'please contact our press office' as this is now in the hands of the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)/BTP (British Transport Police). As a rail accident.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2019, 09:15:24 »

Vivarail has completed a demonstration of its fast charging system for Class 230 battery trains - https://www.railway-technology.com/news/vivarail-unveils-fast-charging-system-for-class-230-battery-trains/

Vivarail, with Valence and Petalite, had a grant application to Innovate UK (United Kingdom) approved (£650K, subject to a few more meetings) in July 2019. They describe it thus:
Towards Realising Accelerated Innovation in Novel (TRAIN) Battery Technologies

Viva rail has produced a proof of concept hybrid train which has been shown to be reliable, energy efficient and cost effective. This work was self-funded and delivered in a very timely and effective way. The TRAIN project will be delivered in a similar way with close cooperation between the partners. Vivarail and our partners Petalite and Valence, provide lightweight versatile cost-effective rail solutions including units that can run as DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) (diesel multiple unit), EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) (electric multiple unit), battery, or battery hybrid depending on power supplies available. Battery technology will incorporate advances from other sectors.

The TRAIN project will develop innovative rapid charging technology and static energy storage to exploit low-rate cheap energy for high-rate charging. Two battery modules hang under each carriage and operate independently or in conjunction with other energy sources (electric). The solution provides significant operational savings, CO2 and noise reductions, and reduces maintenance demands to minimise out-of-service time.

This project will fully develop innovative designs and validate them for production. Outputs include: Modular battery pack to suit specific applications; Rapid charging unit operating at approximately 600V; Integration of hardware/software; Static charging evaluation; Test train with prototype technologies: Duty cycle demonstrations and performance assessment.

You may feel the start of that is just a wee bit presumptuous.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2020, 14:29:59 »

I see that Viva Rail have been running a fair few 230 return trips from (Long Marston or) Evesham West Jn to Moreton in Marsh. Sadly even though they stop at MIM I don't get a chance to see them as that wouldn't be essential and would require a car journey to get there.

Last one today was due in at 13:36 and arrived early,.due to leave at 13:41 left early.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K02077/2020-04-13/detailed
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: