21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 20:43:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you welcome new class 278 trains?  (Voting closed: December 03, 2014, 11:21:24)
Yes, they would be good on my line - 4 (7%)
Yes, if it meant more capacity - 16 (28.1%)
Yes, if it meant more services - 12 (21.1%)
Yes, in the right places - 15 (26.3%)
Yes, but not on my line - 4 (7%)
No - 6 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: New trains from old?  (Read 86670 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2017, 15:49:39 »

Said to be a fuel leak wonder if they didn't tighten the fuel line properly after swapping engine?
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2017, 17:02:13 »

By the looks of things I would say that from the picture it was the high pressure fuel rail and the injectors that caused the problem only my guess mind ?.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2017, 20:45:06 »

I love the mug!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2017, 21:06:13 »

The aforesaid mug is not half as red, as the face of the person, who made the original error that led to the engine fire. Shocked
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2017, 21:15:29 »

Adrian Shooter stated that he released an interim report into this incident yesterday, and should be finding the press picking up on it very soon. Can anyone find it?

The full report will be published he said on Jan 31st. They are taking several mitigating actions & expect normal 'service' to resume. He has retained '2 or 3' customers going forward but obviously has signed confidentiality sgreements with them.

The engines are the same as used in USA versions if the Transit, not those in UK (United Kingdom) versions
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2017, 14:03:06 »

The Vivarail Report on the Class 230 fire at Kenilworth is here:

http://www.vivarail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/VR-QA-17-001-Class-230-Full-Fire-Report-Action-Plan.pdf

John R

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2017, 14:28:16 »

I think it makes fairly sorry reading, in terms of all the things that went wrong, not only with the engine and subsequent fire, but unrelated faults that transpired in the aftermath.  It does call into question the rigour of the development in my mind.  On the plus side, they have found several things that are likely to have caused the fire, so to that end they know what actions they can take to reduce the likelihood of a reoccurrence.

Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2017, 17:23:50 »

Full marks to Vivarail for publishing this Report, although I suspect that this was a condition of RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) standing back.

Viviarail have a lot of work to do, and some of the issues mentioned - eg no indication to the Driver of a Genset fault in coaches 2 and 3, and the lack of effectiveness of the fire extinguishant system - are a bit concerning.  I think NR» (Network Rail - home page) will now be taking a closer interest in Class 230’s compliance with Rolling Stock TSI’s (Technical Standards for Interoperability) – I wouldn’t want to bet on when they will be allowed out again. 
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2017, 17:45:38 »

I think it makes fairly sorry reading, in terms of all the things that went wrong, not only with the engine and subsequent fire, but unrelated faults that transpired in the aftermath.  It does call into question the rigour of the development in my mind.  On the plus side, they have found several things that are likely to have caused the fire, so to that end they know what actions they can take to reduce the likelihood of a reoccurrence.

That's why one builds prototypes.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2017, 17:56:15 »

It looks as if I was right to suspect Revolve Technologies were trying to play several leagues above their engineering comfort zone. Of course that just passes the buck back to Vivarail, who chose and vetted (or should have) their most important supplier.

And Western Pathfinder was right to name the fuel rail as the likely site of a leak. I guess this is a modern common rail design (Ford Duratorq), and apparently they work at ferociously high pressures - around 2000 bar. Not to be messed with.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2017, 18:11:28 »

Care needs to be taken with the duratorq fuel rail as they can be extremely difficult to mate together without leaking also they are buggers for becoming air locked after maintenance .
John R

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2017, 19:46:38 »

But if you read the report in full you will find some howlers that should never have been allowed to happen, even in a prototype. Such as the plastic pipe which was clearly the wrong standard for the job it was doing. That feels more like engineering incompetence, and I'd concur with the comment that RT appear to have been out of their depth.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2017, 20:11:42 »

But if you read the report in full you will find some howlers that should never have been allowed to happen, even in a prototype. Such as the plastic pipe which was clearly the wrong standard for the job it was doing. That feels more like engineering incompetence, and I'd concur with the comment that RT appear to have been out of their depth.

That would seem to be the case. But it's still why one builds prototypes. Smiley
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2017, 21:46:57 »

Having been in an Adelante carriage that was filling with smoke, with no alarm triggered or staff around, I do not want to be in any underfloor diesel unit, especially when working hard climbing or in a tunnel.

The thought of the air reservoir also going, presumably supplying the door pneumatic actuators....

Perhaps the Class 230 should have gone to Derby, Loughborough or even Newton Aycliffe.

And I am told that 3rd/4th rail dc is dangerous (when did its clearances last have to be raised?)

Shivering,

OTC

onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2017, 00:10:39 »

Apologies if this is the wrong thread but I've just located the power figures for the Class 319 flex (the bi/tri-mode  ex "Thameslink/FCC (First Capital Connect)" unit that we nearly had on the WR).

On ac they have 990kW motor output, i.e at rail.

On diesel, using the MAN2876, there are a range of figures but the continuous output is lowest, being about 250kW. This has to go through transmission, alternator, thyristor drive, traction motor etc which would leave about 200kW (x2 on a good day!).

So, 40% of power on diesel.

Power to weight ratios are (kW/t): electric 7.1, diesel 2.9, heritage DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit): 2.7 (1 motor car, 80% transmission).

Back to the future,

OTC

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: