Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:35 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:54:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you welcome new class 278 trains?  (Voting closed: December 03, 2014, 11:21:24)
Yes, they would be good on my line - 4 (7%)
Yes, if it meant more capacity - 16 (28.1%)
Yes, if it meant more services - 12 (21.1%)
Yes, in the right places - 15 (26.3%)
Yes, but not on my line - 4 (7%)
No - 6 (10.5%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: New trains from old?  (Read 86331 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2018, 17:36:32 »

Yes, a domestic electricity supply can supply up to about 25KW, the largest single phase supply is usually 100 amps which is from 22 to 25KW, depending on the actual supply voltage which varies a fair bit.

I am not however very keen on large static batteries that are slowly charged from the grid and then fast discharged into the train.
Another layer of cost, complexity and losses is thereby introduced.
It MIGHT be worthwhile IF the large static battery can be charged at an attractive off peak tariff. A 100 amp 3 phase supply should be available in most places and is about 70KW. On an economy 7 tariff or similar that would be about 500KWH put into the static battery each night, at about 7 pence a KWH, or about £35 a night.

The battery would however be a very costly item, and the cost might be better put towards a supply upgrade. Fast charging direct from a suitable grid supply would avoid the losses in the static battery and the charger for same.

Depending on electricity tariffs, the best option is probably a full charge each night from cheap off peak electricity, together with top up charging during the day from full price electricity.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2018, 21:48:21 »

I prefer blind cynicism to blind faith.

In the realm of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. But you'll do pretty well, too.

Presumably this means an array of [stationary] batteries at the charging locations which are "trickle" charged continuously (or perhaps charged at night when electricity is cheaper).

This could give rise to further complexity in ticketing:
"Which ticket would you like, Sir? Advance single, Anytime return, Economy Seven..."

But when I worked in a tin mine in the latter part of the reign of William IV, one of my jobs on the afternoon shift was to collect the electric locos from where they had been working underground, stick them in the cage two at a time, and send them to the surface. Later in the shift, I would receive them back with replaced battery pack, which was a box around 4' x 6' x 3' high, and try and remember where I had got them from. It didn't take long to change them, I am told, but in fairness they weren't inside or slung underneath anything remotely like a passenger train. I am sure, though, that if proper thought goes into the design of both train and workshop, it could be done very easily. That would add yet another technology to the mix, though.

Depending on electricity tariffs, the best option is probably a full charge each night from cheap off peak electricity, together with top up charging during the day from full price electricity.

A caveat. If we have battery powered trains, and if electric cars and lorries rise in number quickly (and it looks as though that might well be the case) we may find that night time is no longer off peak.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 22:25:39 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2018, 22:32:38 »

The battery locomotives to which you refer probably had lead acid batteries that are not well suited to rapid charging.
Are you certain that you got them back with the SAME battery packs ? I consider it likely that the batteries were swapped for fully charged ones, with the depleted batteries being charged before the next swap.

Returning to the present, it is likely that the proposed  battery trains would not be designed for routine battery swaps.
If rapid swapping is required, then the vehicles would probably need redesigning.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2018, 23:08:55 »

The battery locomotives to which you refer probably had lead acid batteries that are not well suited to rapid charging.
Are you certain that you got them back with the SAME battery packs ? I consider it likely that the batteries were swapped for fully charged ones, with the depleted batteries being charged before the next swap.

Returning to the present, it is likely that the proposed  battery trains would not be designed for routine battery swaps.
If rapid swapping is required, then the vehicles would probably need redesigning.

They definitely were not returned with the same packs. I'm not sure they were as modern as lead acid either.  Grin But they certainly hauled plenty of weight.

The idea of swapping battery packs is possible, but I can't see that it could be viable on a passenger railway. Modern batteries charge much more quickly, are a lot lighter than lead acid, and have many other advantages. There are a few disadvantages, though, as seen in Boeing's Dreamliner incidents, involving Lithium Ion batteries. One would expect a very stringent safety testing programme for any new battery powered vehicle.

Now, please!
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2018, 00:37:30 »

Seems Angel Trains can't even tell the difference between a 153, and a 150 Sad pretty disappointing for a train leasing company. http://www.angelrailway.com/class-153.html
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2018, 11:59:30 »

the Battery packs on the D Trains are modular, and can be swapped in & out at ease. (but probably onlyin the depot under normal use)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2018, 22:19:27 »

I recognise that D Train has divided opinion on the forum but I must declare myself a fan. Reuse of an existing resource, if done properly has to be applauded, especially if it is at a comparatively low cost in a cash strapped industry with an historic shortage of rolling stock. Give it a try I say. Adrian Shooter and co are taking the real risk rather than the taxpayer/rail customer and they have shown some of the innovation the industry needs with the various modes they are introducing of powering them.
While the aesthetics of any rolling stock may be of secondary importance, I reckon the modern take on kind of vintage stock looks quite good!
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2018, 21:04:13 »

I would rather Shooter & Co tried their alternative drives on the various EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) classes that seem to be coming off lease early in life such as the class 317- 322 family and even the Networkers.

OTC
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2018, 12:26:01 »

Vivarail have finally confirmed the 3 x 230 conversions for Bedford - Bletchley this morning:
http://vivarail.co.uk/vivarail-supply-new-trains-marston-vale-line/

Paul
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2018, 13:25:56 »

I would rather Shooter & Co tried their alternative drives on the various EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) classes that seem to be coming off lease early in life such as the class 317- 322 family and even the Networkers.

OTC

A success with D Train might be the testbed needed for such applications.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2018, 22:36:14 »

Vivarail have finally confirmed the 3 x 230 conversions for Bedford - Bletchley this morning:

Paul

How are these powered? If that's a press release I'd expect them to be going OTT (Open Train Times website) if it was a green, battery powered train.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2018, 23:25:22 »

Paul

How are these powered? If that's a press release I'd expect them to be going OTT (Open Train Times website) if it was a green, battery powered train.

Earlier press reports said diesel. WMT put out the same press release, with a few altered pronouns, and some extra "notes for editors" underneath including:
About the D-Train

The D-Train is a cost-effective solution to the need for new rolling stock and is designed to keep both upfront and running costs to a minimum. The D-Train uses the best of modern technology and is specifically designed to appeal to passengers and operators alike. Innovative systems and high tech equipment, such as the advanced RCM system, ensure the trains are able to be customised to suit different route requirements.

The trains are designed to accept power modules which can be diesel, battery or, in the future, hydrogen fuel cells. Vivarail is leading the UK (United Kingdom) market in battery technology and will introduce its first production battery vehicle in Spring 2018 – fully approved and ready for passenger service.

The D-Train meets all current standards up to and including the 2020 PRM (Persons with Reduced Mobility)-TSI regulations.

You are now officially none the wiser.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2018, 15:17:02 »

3 x 2car diesel units
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #178 on: March 03, 2018, 08:03:00 »

3 x 2car diesel units

From Rail Technology Magazine though motive power not quoted as far as I can see (and discussed with thoughts both ways in the comments on the article)

Vivarail has today announced that it has entered an agreement with West Midlands trains to build three new Class 230 D-Trains for the Marston Vale Line between Bedford and Bletchley.

West Midlands Trains is the first franchise to have made an order for the rolling stock, which are expected to get on track for operation in 2018.

The news follows a number of months where there was little word about the innovative battery-powered rolling stock, before the company announced in February that the first production train had entered its final build stage.

Vivarail’s CEO (Chief Executive Officer), Adrian Shooter, stated: “This is a big day for Vivarail. We have invested considerable time and money to bring our innovative D-Train to this point and we are delighted to be working with West Midlands Trains to introduce them into passenger service.

“As a West Midlands based company it will be extremely gratifying to see our trains running on local lines and we look forward to passenger feedback. Our trains will be built to the high standards West Midlands Trains has committed to and will provide the flagship service for the region.

[etc]

West Midlands Trains’ customer service director, Andrew Conroy, explained that the Class 230 would be “ideal” for the Bedford to Bletchley route.

“We are investing in almost £700m of new trains for our passengers,” he stated. “The class 230s will be the first of over 400 extra carriages we are adding to our network.

“I am sure our passengers will welcome the new look and feel of the carriages and the extra space.

“When the new trains come on stream in December we will also be adding extra early morning and late night services on the Marston Vale line Monday to Saturday.”

Congratulations on the extra services ... now, can we have something later please?  18:32 is a shocking early last train on a (normal) Saturday night!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris125

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2018, 19:34:56 »

Vivarail presentation by Adrian Shooter to the LT Museum Friends (from 27mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k8W7QWRWMk
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: