19/04/24 05:33 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:43:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just seen this on the BBC  (Read 10743 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:43:54 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30398791

Interesting comment about 90% of trains running normally....well bring it on I say!
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:49:36 »

Taking bets on a late start due to 'overrunning engineering works' on the 27th.  Grin

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:37 »

As the first long distance arrival into Paddington is not planned until 11:26 on the 27th, I sincerely hope not!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:34:16 »

Personally, a little birdy tells me to put decent money on a London Bridge over-run.....far more likely, I hear
insider

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 14:04:46 »

As the first long distance arrival into Paddington is not planned until 11:26 on the 27th, I sincerely hope not!

That's because the Up Line is shut until 11:00, before that time trans terminate at RDG(resolve).
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 09:58:00 »

Interesting comment about 90% of trains running normally....well bring it on I say!

"normally" doesn't mean the same as "as timetabled"
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 10:15:19 »

"normally" doesn't mean the same as "as timetabled"

Having suffered/experienced the FGW (First Great Western) Thames Valley service between Xmas/New Year for the last few years (and will again this year), I wouldn't advise you to expect anything good........take a flask of soup and some turkey sandwiches along, you may have a long wait!!! (......then again, that's business as usual these days!!!)
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 11:56:39 »

Taking bets on a late start due to 'overrunning engineering works' on the 27th.  Grin

Called it.  Grin Grin Grin

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 14:24:09 »

Should've placed a bet with the bookies Tongue

Grin Grin Grin Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 17:48:04 »

Should've placed a bet with the bookies Tongue

I suspect you wouldn't have got very good odds, we all know FGW (First Great Western) couldn't organise a p*** up in a brewery so today's chaos was no surprise, just read the rest of the thread!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 17:57:54 »

But the cause was Network Rail. FGW (First Great Western) have had to pick up the pieces. Just like East Coast and Govia have had to out of Kings Cross. Not very well admittedly, but trying to make contingency arrangements late on Boxing Day or even early this morning that the line wasn't going to reopen in time would tax anyone's ingenuity and resources. So I think your criticism of FGW is unfair.

And if you say that they should have a contingency plan in place then yes, maybe, but having people and coaches on standby for every engineering possession in case it over-runs will cost serious money as you have to make financial commitments to guarantee that the resources will be available if required. To date, the rail industry hasn't gone down that route to the best of my knowledge, but that's not an issue specific to any particular TOC (Train Operating Company).

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 09:56:52 »

But the cause was Network Rail. FGW (First Great Western) have had to pick up the pieces. Just like East Coast and Govia have had to out of Kings Cross. Not very well admittedly, but trying to make contingency arrangements late on Boxing Day or even early this morning that the line wasn't going to reopen in time would tax anyone's ingenuity and resources. So I think your criticism of FGW is unfair.

And if you say that they should have a contingency plan in place then yes, maybe, but having people and coaches on standby for every engineering possession in case it over-runs will cost serious money as you have to make financial commitments to guarantee that the resources will be available if required. To date, the rail industry hasn't gone down that route to the best of my knowledge, but that's not an issue specific to any particular TOC (Train Operating Company).

"Together, First Great Western and Network Rail will build a Greater West for our passengers and the communities we serve" - (FGW Website) - that means collective responsibility when things go wrong, not just waving flags about investment. If the infrastructure provision falls over, then the service provider needs to manage the fallout

no-one seems particularly surprised that it didn't work yesterday, however I doubt they expected it to be quite that spectacularly bad.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:08:09 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 10:53:15 »

no-one seems particularly surprised that it didn't work yesterday, however I doubt they expected it to be quite that spectacularly bad.

I am surprised and disappointed that things went as bad as they did, I know how much planning and effort is put into the Christmas work.  Contingency plans are put in place to allow for some over run.  There are T minus 12, 8, 6, 4, 2 and 1 week review panels which are lead by a senior manager outside of the project team the panel includes reps from Route Ops and Asset Managers, from T minus 2 weeks it can go to almost daily reviews; on top of this there is a whole rift of interdisciplinary checks and reviews by the engineering team to ensure the designs are correct.

The post mortem into these events will have already started, indeed the causes will already be logged, each major renewals weekend like this the NR» (Network Rail - home page) organisation has a "War Room" for each programme which is usually headed by a program director.  Conference calls are held every 2 hours with the NR Route Ops are involved and the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s are advised of progress.  When a site manager becomes aware there is problem or a potential problem they will call this in straight away (e.g. a critical piece of plant has failed).  Progress is also recorded on site electronically and emailed into the "War Room" Senior Managers and Programme Directors are on call and will attend sites, the Programme Directors involved in these works almost certainly will have conference calls with NR Executives even the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) more than likely on both Christmas and Boxing Days.

The project I was involved in on Boxing Day removed some of the planned tasks, because there had been some problems early on, this was done to avoid an overrun, this of course has a consequence of finding the access and manpower to complete this work before Easter.

Unfortunately these 2 events have detracted from the 16 day major rebuild work going on a London Bridge, Reading viaduct works, Watford and countless other major bits of work that all went on or are happening now without delays, 11,000 people working over Christmas on infrastructure renewals / enhancements equals a lot going on. 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:06:51 »

Many thanks for the above ET which, for me at least, provided an insight into the run up to and monitoring of such works.

I'm not a believer in calling for "heads to roll" in circumstances such as the delays of the last few days but what is the interface (if any) between NR» (Network Rail - home page) and the government at times such as this?

I also agree with your comment regarding the success of some projects having gone unnoticed due to the overrunning of others but it could be argued that we (the traveling public) shouldn't notice when a project goes well unless the end result is an improvement

As a frequent passenger through reading during the last 10 years I am still impressed that Reading stayion was rebuilt from the ground up whilst keeping services operational.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 15:55:46 »

Interestingly one of the comments I've heard from FGW (First Great Western) sources is that NR» (Network Rail - home page) didn't keep them informed of the likely overrun which is one of the reasons people were just turning up at Paddington to find chaos - at least those heading for Kings X/Finsbury Park were forewarned.

Clearly some of the conference calls alluded to weren't particularly effective, and what was the nature of the contingency planning in the event of an overrun? I didn't see much evidence of it kicking in, it was just chaos!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: